I'm thinking it is time to change WPCentral a more MS-centric name. :)

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
With today's E3 announcements, it was made clear that the future boundaries between Windows Phone and the rest of Microsoft's products are becoming blurry. Just like TiPb became iMore, I think it is time for WPCentral to rename itself to encompass this unified ecosystem (specifically WP, 360, and tablets).

I understand that a broader title would require more coverage, and with more coverage, comes more articles, but I think this needs to happen for the betterment of the site.

And this, of course, might not be in the WPC budget and the editors might not want to stretch themselves any thinner, and I understand that. However, I believe it is time to broaden the scope of this website, since it is beginning to happen naturally, anyway (for example, covering Xbox-only games).

What do you guys think? I'd love to get some input from editors! If money is the issue, what about a kickstarter fund? I'm sure there are tons of supporters that would be willing to donate in order to bring another editor on board.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I do run Windows 7 on my desktop (dual boot) and also have MS Office. However, I am not a fangirl of all things Microsoft. I love my Windows Phone, but my preferred PC OS is Linux.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
WPCentral is a great name IMHO. A rebranding involves a massive effort and I'm not sure that's worth it. I'd rather have them develop another website with the same kind of layout but different content (ala Gawker Media: Gizmodo / Lifehacker and so on...) more centered around Windows RT for example.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, WPCentral already covers stories about the Xbox (and they have stated that they are going to continue to do so) and they have already mentioned tablets more than a couple of times. Maybe they could add more sections to the site (like they have with apps, reviews, news, etc).

I just look at how iMore did the same thing and think it was a good move. Now that Microsoft has tablets and WPs are so integrated into W8 and the 360, maybe it is time for WPCentral to do the same. I would agree with the idea of a new website, but I don't know how that would fit under the "Mobile Nations" moniker.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never actually look at anything on wpcentral or any Mobile Nations sites except for the forums. I don't bother with the reviews or podcasts. I might glance at something in a tweet, but I never visit any Mobile Nations blogs otherwise.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I never actually look at anything on wpcentral or any Mobile Nations sites except for the forums. I don't bother with the reviews or podcasts. I might glance at something in a tweet, but I never visit any Mobile Nations blogs otherwise.

Oh, wow. I actually have pretty much stopped using the forums on here. Ever since the L900 flooded the forums, I have stuck to the main site. It is more credible, and the articles don't upset me like some of the people in these forums do. I feel like it is extremely easy to partition forums, though. In fact, this forum already has an Xbox section, so there wouldn't be too much of a change, anyway.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the difference is that you've been a member longer than me. I pretty much made my decision to get the L900 after it was unveiled at CES, so I didn't join until about a week before I got it. I also never used a WinMo device. My past smartphone history is Nokia Symbian and BlackBerry. I wanted to leave BlackBerry and initially chose my new device for Nokia first and the fact it ran Windows Phone second.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there was definitely a noticeable yet subtle change on the forums around the time that the Lumia 900 was released.

Honestly, I think my biggest reasons for wanting the rebranding are:

* WPCentral already covers Xbox news, despite clearly not being Windows Phones.
* iMore got a name change because of the iPad. I have a feeling that Windows 8 tablets are going to be just as big of a deal and they still fall under the "Mobile Nations" moniker.
* To me, WPCentral is the most legitimate source for WP news. I want that extended to all Microsoft products. Sure, this is an extremely selfish reason, but it is still a good opportunity for the website to grow and provide more services to its readers.
* The WPCentral store needs an overhaul. I feel like the WPCentral store is full of overpriced niche items that aren't very useful to the common consumer. If the website expands to include Xbox and Windows 8 (tablets?), then the inventory, too, could be expanded greatly.

There are also things that worry me about the rebranding:
* There could be a loss of specificity. We might lose some app reviews or the editors may have to miss conferences, since they might not have the finances to attend all of the various events for WP, 360, and W8.
* Too many posts. I am just worried that it may become too much to cover. I don't want the app to be notifying me every ten minutes that there is a new article and I don't want to miss articles because there are so many new ones since I last checked in.

Despite the negatives, I still think the rebranding is a good idea. Of course I am just one consumer and have no idea how spread out the editors are or even if WPCentral has enough money to make such big changes. Anyway, I'm really hoping the editors will give me their two cents about this.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned tablets. Would you want both tablets (running RT) and tablet PCs (running Win8) included?

Would you also want desktop Windows articles and forums? I wouldn't. There are plenty of sites for discussion of desktop Windows. Wpcentral would not be a place I'd visit if the forums turned into "How do I install Windows 8?" or "How do I remove a virus?"

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I would say any tablet, as they are all mobile devices. However, maybe for the sake of scope, WinRT would be a good restriction. Like I said previously, forums can be partitioned very easily. I'm sure you people could restrain themselves from going into parts of the forum that don't apply to them.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just think it's best to leave desktop Windows in all iterations off wpcentral. There are plenty of forums for it. Some newbies might post questions about desktop Windows and be upset that nobody cares to answer their questions or says "Go to TechNet".

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

:mad:

How dare you ignore our incredible content! :giggle:

On a serious note, we've spoken in-depth about branding, designs, etc. (you'll notice I've changed the weekly summary image that's used?), while I'm not set to reveal much, you can look forward to some changes that are on the way, which we believe you'll all really appreciate.

On a personal level, I believe Windows Phone Central as a brand is as good as it'll get. We're a Windows Phone enthusiast website at the end of the day. We're part of Mobile Nations, which (as you guessed) is all about the small devices. While we'll report on Xbox and Windows news, we'll never steer our focus away from Windows Phone itself.

We understand such requests though as we've had them passed along before. it's better for us to remain unique by focusing on Windows Phone, but venture out to other Microsoft products when it's semi-relevant - SmartGlass is a good example of this. Like you've said in your post, Judge_Daniel, it could prove difficult to publish that many posts if we covered everything Xbox, Windows, tablet and phones. Our site isn't structured as a news site, but more as a blog. It could annoy readers if they're more interested in Windows Phone news, the content that we originally created.

Hope that clears things up? We'll continuously look at ways to improve our service to you (including the store), and I'll be sure to pass your comments along so keep the feedback coming :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Rich, thanks for the clarification.

I did add wpcentral's RSS feed to my Google Reader subscriptions, so I'll read more blog posts. :)

I'm glad you're keeping it mobile here.

Desktop Windows has plenty of sites, but this one is the best for Windows Phone.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Rich, thanks for the clarification.

I did add wpcentral's RSS feed to my Google Reader subscriptions, so I'll read more blog posts. :)

I'm glad you're keeping it mobile here.

Desktop Windows has plenty of sites, but this one is the best for Windows Phone.

Thanks for the kind words, it's awesome to know we're doing a good job! It's only going to get better, that's all I can say ;)

Welcome to Windows Phone by the way, late I know but we're a slow, loving family of mad men / women.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
:mad:

How dare you ignore our incredible content! :giggle:

On a serious note, we've spoken in-depth about branding, designs, etc. (you'll notice I've changed the weekly summary image that's used?), while I'm not set to reveal much, you can look forward to some changes that are on the way, which we believe you'll all really appreciate.

On a personal level, I believe Windows Phone Central as a brand is as good as it'll get. We're a Windows Phone enthusiast website at the end of the day. We're part of Mobile Nations, which (as you guessed) is all about the small devices. While we'll report on Xbox and Windows news, we'll never steer our focus away from Windows Phone itself.

We understand such requests though as we've had them passed along before. it's better for us to remain unique by focusing on Windows Phone, but venture out to other Microsoft products when it's semi-relevant - SmartGlass is a good example of this. Like you've said in your post, Judge_Daniel, it could prove difficult to publish that many posts if we covered everything Xbox, Windows, tablet and phones. Our site isn't structured as a news site, but more as a blog. It could annoy readers if they're more interested in Windows Phone news, the content that we originally created.

Hope that clears things up? We'll continuously look at ways to improve our service to you (including the store), and I'll be sure to pass your comments along so keep the feedback coming :)

Thanks for the response. This is actually all stemmed from the TiPb name change to encompass the iPad. I figured that since Windows tablets are soon to be released, WPC should start covering them, as well. However, I now realize that the unified OS between tablets and desktops is actually a good reason to not cover them.

With the iPhone, iPad, and iMac, there are three separate OSes, each performing a specific task. iPhones and iPads are obviously both meant to be mobile, while the iMac is more for the home or workplace. With Windows 8, however, there really isn't that distinction, as it will always depend on the hardware, itself.

I still think Microsoft entering the tablet market would be a good chance to expand the site, but I understand the reasoning either way. I still don't understand why this site is willing to cover Xbox-only games, but isn't willing to go through with the next step, though. ;) (I kid.)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been monitoring this thread but have remained silent. I was asked to join the party to weigh in so here I go. Basically what Rich said. I will add that we do have tablet forums so we will be ready when this push hits. We will remain a Windows Phone site while covering all Windows Tablets.

On the subject of re branding this is a huge undertaking on that I will say "never say never".

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been monitoring this thread but have remained silent. I was asked to join the party to weigh in so here I go. Basically what Rich said. I will add that we do have tablet forums so we will be ready when this push hits. We will remain a Windows Phone site while covering all Windows Tablets.

On the subject of re branding this is a huge undertaking on that I will say "never say never".

Thanks for the input! Glad to see the forums are already embracing the future. ;)