The "Jessica Alba" Factor

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Wait, delivered to her house? He knows where she lives and got to see the inner realm? Lucky.

Ummm, not sure how that stalker got a hold of my login. I will go change my password. :)

Haha. No. Not her house.

He said that it was all super secret spy-like though. I don't know where he met her. I would imagine it was at an MS store off-hours.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I doubt she'll hurt, but I will admit I felt a slight bit of disappointment when I heard she was at the event. It made the fact that she was using a 920 a little less pure, if that makes sense.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Wait, delivered to her house? He knows where she lives and got to see the inner realm? Lucky.
When I read "got to see her inner..." I thought "Uh-oh. Where is Power5 going with this?" LOL!

I doubt she'll hurt, but I will admit I felt a slight bit of disappointment when I heard she was at the event. It made the fact that she was using a 920 a little less pure, if that makes sense.
Less pure? How so? Don't tell me it's because someone on the mainstream touched our precious L920 that's reserved for Windows Phone fans. That's not it, right? ;)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Less pure? How so? Don't tell me it's because someone on the mainstream touched our precious L920 that's reserved for Windows Phone fans. That's not it, right? ;)

haha no that's not it at all! I guess I thought it was cool when I saw her using the blue 900. When she got the red 920, I was hoping it was just an insider gift. Once she walked onstage, it was obvious she probably didn't switch out of choice, but out of some deal she struck. It just took some of the purity away for me. For example, Matt Hasselbeck is a windows phone guy. I think he used a Titan, he tweets from rowi, and it's all by choice.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
haha no that's not it at all! I guess I thought it was cool when I saw her using the blue 900. When she got the red 920, I was hoping it was just an insider gift. Once she walked onstage, it was obvious she probably didn't switch out of choice, but out of some deal she struck. It just took some of the purity away for me. For example, Matt Hasselbeck is a windows phone guy. I think he used a Titan, he tweets from rowi, and it's all by choice.
Ah, OK! I see what you mean. When those "paparazzi shots" of her with the Lumia were published, I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I thought she actually selected the phone by choice as well or at least because a friend recommended it to her. But then she was spotted again, and again, and she always seemed to be "caught" with the Lumia front and center. After she was spotted with the 920 I was like "OK, she's part of some marketing strategy." Then of course we see her at the press conference. So you were disappointed that she was just a shill, right?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought that she did select the Lumia 900 on her own.

Then once the shots of her came out, every WP ****** on Twitter was telling MS and Nokia to go after Jessica Alba as a spokesperson. And it looks like MS listened.

So they arranged for her to get a L920 before everyone else, so she could speak about the product that she is endorsing.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
first off, i like her alot

i felt she was genuine in the words she utter instead of reading script which imo would have been easier for her (being actress and all), it's that nervousness that she exhibited that made me felt like she actually uses the phone and like it, but just couldn't quiet say why

it really feels like me when i have to tell ppl why i like the phone, there is so much to it, yet i can't present it clearly as i have no script to go off of and i sure as **** am no salesman

still, i think she was a good addition

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
kinda almost off topic: Anyone else find it funny that we had the official WP8 day and days later all we got to talk about is Jessica Alba? LOL

I want muh phone NOW!

sammygs2

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I personally thought it was cringe worthy. Seemed like such a cheesy way to advertise. It was wayyyy better when I thought she chose WP because it was great. Now it seems shes just on MSFT's payroll. Her looks aside it was awful to me, considering I am not in the demographic they were trying to please, maybe it was great to young moms? Who knows. that tech crowed was not the place to do such a cheesy act.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ah, OK! I see what you mean. When those "paparazzi shots" of her with the Lumia were published, I fell for it hook, line and sinker. I thought she actually selected the phone by choice as well or at least because a friend recommended it to her. But then she was spotted again, and again, and she always seemed to be "caught" with the Lumia front and center. After she was spotted with the 920 I was like "OK, she's part of some marketing strategy." Then of course we see her at the press conference. So you were disappointed that she was just a shill, right?

Who knows, maybe she was "caught" as you say. But, think about us normal folks, we typically run around with our phones out in front of us; trying to catch the latest and greatest in our social worlds. Or updating statuses and checking the latest craze on YouTube. Just because she is a celebrity does not change that fact, it just changes how often the rest of the world knows about it.

My theory; she had a 900, got "caught" with it a lot and Microsoft/ Noki saw an opportunity to leverage that. Granted she is probably being compensated, but I think her use of WP8 and the Lumia 920 is more than a marketing gimmick. She more than likely truly enjoys the WP experience, that is why she has one. Money is not always a driver to endorse a product... Satisfaction is.

Do you really think she needs the money she is being paid as a celebrity spokesperson? Nope, she believes in the product.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...maybe it was great to young moms? Who knows. that tech crowed was not the place to do such a cheesy act.
She probably should plug this phone on a talk show. Maybe she'll do that.

She more than likely truly enjoys the WP experience, that is why she has one. Money is not always a driver to endorse a product... Satisfaction is.

Do you really think she needs the money she is being paid as a celebrity spokesperson? Nope, she believes in the product.
There are plenty of celebrity endorsers that are in it just for the money, however Jessica probably really likes WP (what's not to like?) and the money doesn't hurt.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I personally thought it was cringe worthy. Seemed like such a cheesy way to advertise. It was wayyyy better when I thought she chose WP because it was great. Now it seems shes just on MSFT's payroll. Her looks aside it was awful to me, considering I am not in the demographic they were trying to please, maybe it was great to young moms? Who knows. that tech crowed was not the place to do such a cheesy act.
Big deal. So she's a paid spokesperson - so what? She's hot and she was in front of a crowd of nerds - the perfect storm of influence.

You think all those celebrity Siri ads are done for free by the actors? You think that Samuel Jackson uses Siri religiously?

sammygs2

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Big deal. So she's a paid spokesperson - so what? She's hot and she was in front of a crowd of nerds - the perfect storm of influence.

You think all those celebrity Siri ads are done for free by the actors? You think that Samuel Jackson uses Siri religiously?

Right except that a commercial with her and WP would have been a lot better. Now that you mention the apple commercials I would like you to know I didn't like those either, seems not many people did. Though there is a difference. The tech news crowd would have been watching the WP8 event live. Average people would be watching the commercials, so celebrity endorsement makes much more sense there. In fact I would have loved the time they wasted with her on stage to have an announcement about 7.8. You know...an announcement.

And to your point of her being a paid spokesperson. I have absolutely no problem with that. It doesn't change the fact I experienced second hand embarrassment watching the awkward WP8 keynote. Commercials in this instance would have been the better route to go in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo