Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin Michaluk
  • 1 Post By James Falconer
  • 1 Post By speedtouch
  1. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,148 Global Posts
       #1  
    With the old forum we could easily see which sub-forum had new posts. That forum had a icon or something (I can't remember) that indicated it had new posts. And when you read all the posts, the icon changed to something else, which indicated there are no new posts. Unfortunately, with this new forum style all the icons are static and do not represent new or no new posts at all.
    Lumia 635
  2. Kevin Michaluk's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    #2  
    Thanks for the feedback. We still have some tweaks to make, including adding the Mark Forum Read buttons as well as state indicators as you're discussing.

    Stay tuned!
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, EIC, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.
    Thanked by:
    speedtouch likes this.
  3. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,148 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks, Kevin. I must say, once you get into a sub forum, the new post/old post/post-I've-replied-to icons are excellent.
    Lumia 635
  4. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    With the old forum we could easily see which sub-forum had new posts. That forum had a icon or something (I can't remember) that indicated it had new posts. And when you read all the posts, the icon changed to something else, which indicated there are no new posts. Unfortunately, with this new forum style all the icons are static and do not represent new or no new posts at all.
    Thanks for the info here Rob... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I 'thought' sub-forums would sort of 'light up' if there was new action since your last visit?

    I'm going to do some digging around on this and make it happen.
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  5. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,148 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    Thanks for the info here Rob... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I 'thought' sub-forums would sort of 'light up' if there was new action since your last visit?

    I'm going to do some digging around on this and make it happen.
    Right, it was something like that. Maybe the forum header was bolded? Honestly, I can't remember. But there was a visual cue that indicated there were new posts since my last visit or since the last time I marked the forum as read.
    Lumia 635
  6. #6  
    Is there also a way to show new posts in threads where I have posted?

    I do not subscribe to many threads, since the emails would get out of hand if I did.

    I used to be able to search my posts and the envelope icon would show if there were new posts in that thread since I last posted. Now I cannot tell if there are new posts since my last post when I search my posts.
  7. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Right, it was something like that. Maybe the forum header was bolded? Honestly, I can't remember. But there was a visual cue that indicated there were new posts since my last visit or since the last time I marked the forum as read.
    Got it. We'll sort it out over here and let you know when it is implemented!
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  8. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Is there also a way to show new posts in threads where I have posted?

    I do not subscribe to many threads, since the emails would get out of hand if I did.

    I used to be able to search my posts and the envelope icon would show if there were new posts in that thread since I last posted. Now I cannot tell if there are new posts since my last post when I search my posts.
    So if I read this correctly... you'd like to have some visual cues available so that you could see at a glance any new responses within your threads... WITHOUT email notifications. Obviously notifications would take care of this... but an at-a-glance 'visual' cue is what you're suggesting?
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  9. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Right, it was something like that. Maybe the forum header was bolded? Honestly, I can't remember. But there was a visual cue that indicated there were new posts since my last visit or since the last time I marked the forum as read.
    Rob,

    The visual cues for subdomains have been added. If new action is in a subforum, the 'speech bubble' icon turns a bright blue... otherwise the icon remains a light grey... let me know if this is what you were hoping for!
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    So if I read this correctly... you'd like to have some visual cues available so that you could see at a glance any new responses within your threads... WITHOUT email notifications. Obviously notifications would take care of this... but an at-a-glance 'visual' cue is what you're suggesting?
    I used to see open or closed envelope icons when I would check my posts, so I could tell if the threads I posted in had new posts. Now I just see a blue icon, but I have no idea if anyone else posted in that thread.

    For someone as active on the forums as I am, notifications would drive me bonkers. Therefore, I only subscribe to a few threads, not every thread I post in.
  11. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I used to see open or closed envelope icons when I would check my posts, so I could tell if the threads I posted in had new posts. Now I just see a blue icon, but I have no idea if anyone else posted in that thread.

    For someone as active on the forums as I am, notifications would drive me bonkers. Therefore, I only subscribe to a few threads, not every thread I post in.
    Laura,

    We can probably fix that up for you!

    However... (just throwing this out there).... what if you subscribed to threads via the 'through control panel only' option? That way you wouldn't be overwhelmed with email notifications...

    James
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    Laura,

    We can probably fix that up for you!

    However... (just throwing this out there).... what if you subscribed to threads via the 'through control panel only' option? That way you wouldn't be overwhelmed with email notifications...

    James
    That's true. Still, it's easier to not need to unsubscribe later. Some old threads get resurrected months later, but at that point I am done with them for the most part.

    I tend to only follow current threads.
  13. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,148 Global Posts
       #13  
    James, I apologize I haven't been on the forum in quite some time. One reason was lack of time, and the other is the problem I addressed in my initial post. I do see that you created the little chat bubble icon that is either light gray (no new posts) or very dark blue (new posts). Thanks for that. However, it still does not address my initial post. Let's say you log in and are at the root of the forum. Take a look at the WPCENTRAL COMMUNITY section. There's no way to tell if Introductions, Off Topic, General MS News, or WP Central Contests have new posts based on its icon. The icon for each forum is static and never changes to indicate new posts or no new posts. So in order to see if a forum has new posts, rather than just glancing from the root forum for an icon change, I must go into each forum individually to see if there are new posts.
    Last edited by speedtouch; 02-05-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Lumia 635
  14. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #14  
    I hear ya loud and clear... thanks for the heads' up on this. I've put it on my 'to do' list. Please contact me if you have any more suggestions, it is much appreciated!
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  15. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,148 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    I hear ya loud and clear... thanks for the heads' up on this. I've put it on my 'to do' list. Please contact me if you have any more suggestions, it is much appreciated!
    Suh-weet! Thanks, brother! I really hope you can pull it off.

    Maybe you could have the "new post" icons have the WP7/8 blue notification strip at the top. And the "no new posts" icon just be the standard icon you have now for each forum.
    Lumia 635
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  16. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Suh-weet! Thanks, brother! I really hope you can pull it off.

    Maybe you could have the "new post" icons have the WP7/8 blue notification strip at the top. And the "no new posts" icon just be the standard icon you have now for each forum.
    Good idea...
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  17. Kevin Rush's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    407 Posts
    #17  
    My Nokia Lumia 822 on Verizon with the WPCentral App keeps me easily informed about new posts Browse>Forums>Recent which is great. When I access this web site from my PC, I can't always find the same Recent posts? I've tried "New Posts" and "Today's Posts"?
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 02-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
  18. James Falconer's Avatar

    Posts
    952 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,726 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #18  
    Clicking the 'new posts' link at the top queries the site and returns the most recent posts... 500 posts, 100 per page, to be exact :)
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
  19. speedtouch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,148 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    Good idea...
    How's it coming? I look forward to differentiated icons.
    Lumia 635

Similar Threads

  1. No way to turn off 4G/LTE and just use 3G?
    By nico002 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM
  2. No way to sync music ratings
    By Juliguli in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 12:37 AM
  3. no way to fast forward/scroll through music?
    By congusano in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM
  4. Soooooo, there's no way to make a playlist and transfer?
    By baseballbert in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 04:11 AM
  5. A small but sure way to tell WP 8 is gaining popularity.
    By snowmutt in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions