pop up ads on wp central

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I understand popups can be annoying, especially if you're not interested in what's being offered, but let me explain.

We work with a partner that manages our ads, campaigns and inventory. Occasionally our partner has an advertiser onboard that wants to use the popups as part of their campaign (doesn't happen all the time). The GOOD thing we have insisted upon however, is that we limit this type of popup to 1 per day, per site, per user. Also, these popups should only happen if you're visiting the full site from a computer. If you ever notice popups getting out of hand, or are getting them while browsing from your phone, please let me know IMMEDIATELY and we'll reach out to them to address any issues.

The reality is we have to pay the bills around here, so advertising is going to happen. But we ARE doing our best to keep them to a minimum.

A positive to keep in mind… as long as you're logged into Passport, you actually receive LESS ads than if you were logged out. We always want to offer our active users the fastest and cleanest browsing experience possible.

Hope this helps explain!

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks James.

FYI... I did notice two days ago on the Lumia 920 I did get a pop up ad. I reached out to our ad partner right away to inform them of it, so their tech team will be addressing that asap (if not already done). I guess with the Windows Phone 8 browser and how the ad company does device detection, it's such a good browser it comes across as Desktop to them. So they're going to make sure they update their scripts so they're watching the device agent strings and killing those ads.

Thx for the patience in the meantime!

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
awesome - Thanks for the explanation. Its a solid business model that has give and takes on all sides of the coin, I was just curious about it as it seems you cant look at the internet anymore without seeing/watching an ad anymore. What kind of project would it be to offer a paid ad free site to those that want an ad free environment and a free site with ads?

Is there anything I can do to pitch in, love the site and want it to stay around

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ebaneeezor,

If you'd like to pitch in and help out, reach out to Dave Blake. He's the man around these parts. He'll know where to start you out and get you going if you want to join forces with our team :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise