Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By James Falconer
  • 2 Post By Kevin Michaluk

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I just saw my first pop up ad when I launched the home page for WPcentral....

Is this going to be the new normal?
    I never really understood the OS wars - they're simply is no one perfect solution for all, just for you.

Did I help? don't forget to hit the Thanks and Like :)

I saw it to. A decidedly most unwelcome turn of events.

Global Posts
    3,595 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I understand popups can be annoying, especially if you're not interested in what's being offered, but let me explain.

We work with a partner that manages our ads, campaigns and inventory. Occasionally our partner has an advertiser onboard that wants to use the popups as part of their campaign (doesn't happen all the time). The GOOD thing we have insisted upon however, is that we limit this type of popup to 1 per day, per site, per user. Also, these popups should only happen if you're visiting the full site from a computer. If you ever notice popups getting out of hand, or are getting them while browsing from your phone, please let me know IMMEDIATELY and we'll reach out to them to address any issues.

The reality is we have to pay the bills around here, so advertising is going to happen. But we ARE doing our best to keep them to a minimum.

A positive to keep in mind… as long as you're logged into Passport, you actually receive LESS ads than if you were logged out. We always want to offer our active users the fastest and cleanest browsing experience possible.

Hope this helps explain!
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,700 Global Posts
    Thanks James.

FYI... I did notice two days ago on the Lumia 920 I did get a pop up ad. I reached out to our ad partner right away to inform them of it, so their tech team will be addressing that asap (if not already done). I guess with the Windows Phone 8 browser and how the ad company does device detection, it's such a good browser it comes across as Desktop to them. So they're going to make sure they update their scripts so they're watching the device agent strings and killing those ads.

Thx for the patience in the meantime!
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, EIC, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    awesome - Thanks for the explanation. Its a solid business model that has give and takes on all sides of the coin, I was just curious about it as it seems you cant look at the internet anymore without seeing/watching an ad anymore. What kind of project would it be to offer a paid ad free site to those that want an ad free environment and a free site with ads?

Is there anything I can do to pitch in, love the site and want it to stay around
    I never really understood the OS wars - they're simply is no one perfect solution for all, just for you.

Global Posts
    3,595 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Ebaneeezor,

If you'd like to pitch in and help out, reach out to Dave Blake. He's the man around these parts. He'll know where to start you out and get you going if you want to join forces with our team :)
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Falconer View Post
    Ebaneeezor,

If you'd like to pitch in and help out, reach out to Dave Blake. He's the man around these parts. He'll know where to start you out and get you going if you want to join forces with our team :)
    WIll do thanks :)