Forums unusable on IE mobile

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hate to say this, but the forum has become unusable on my Lumia 810 with both the mobile and desktop versions.

I can't post, or reply without timeouts. Clicking the "newest replies" on a thread arrow button times out. The back button navigation spits me out to the main forum page, if I greater than 2 levels down of sub forums.

The desktop version, I can navigate around properly, but trying to type a post or reply the keyboard keeps going away.

Again, all on my Lumia 810, IE set to mobile or desktop.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Okay thanks I will forward this along to those who feed the squirrels. Might be time for some new squirrels.
While we sort this out, if you haven't already you should try the Windows Phone Central app. Don't forget we also have a mobile view for the main site. I am very sorry for the inconvenience

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. But I prefer to use the Web, old habits and such. The mobile version of the main site is just fine on the phone. Although I haven't tried to post a comment on any of the stories, so I'm can't report any issues. It's just the forums that is "horked". Ever since the upgrade of the "Metro Beta" theme...

Granted, I am getting used to the Metro Beta features and being useful, when they work.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Any new info getting new squirrels? I recommend upgrading to monkeys. Get enough of them banging away on keyboards, you can eventually get something similar to the works of Shakespeare.

But seriously, if want an example of a good implementation of vBulletin for mobile, check out RC Groups: Forum Index They use a modified version of iPhone / iPod Touch Optimized Skin - vBulletin.org Forum

Another suggestion: Drop of the dynamic list of active users at bottom of the forums. Just display the number. I frequent another really busy vBulletin based discussion forum and they eventually dropped the list of active users and they got a HUGE boost of performance from doing that.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I am still pushing this issue. What we really need is pur community manager back. Maybe tomorrow.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm back!

Darn IE issues persist on select devices it seems... sending this along to the tech team to investigate. Check this space, as they may have some suggestions to help fix the problem.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok folks, had a quick chat w tech on this... here's the bottom line.

The issue has to do with ckeditor in vbulletin. For whatever reason, the editor does not play nice with some Lumia devices.

Some things that would be helpful:

1. Try using from a different browser. If this is just an IE thing, that is very useful to know.
  2. If you know of a WORKING example from a forum out there, let us know. We can take a look at what they're doing and reverse engineer.
  3. THANK YOU for your patience and understanding!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site

The issue has to do with ckeditor in vbulletin. For whatever reason, the editor does not play nice with some Lumia devices.

1. Try using from a different browser. If this is just an IE thing, that is very useful to know.
  2. If you know of a WORKING example from a forum out there, let us know. We can take a look at what they're doing and reverse engineer.
Ok....
1. How does one use a different browser on the phone? We're stuck with IE.
2. Seriously take a look at the mobile version of site I mentioned above (m.rcgroups.com). I've had ZERO issues with it on my phone, or any phone for that matter (reading, posting, replying, etc.). I like how it defaults to going to the first unread post in a thread. About the only thing I think it needs a link to "mark all threads read" somewhere.
Also, you might want to try contacting the site operators. They are nice guys and they might be willing to help.
3. No problem. Just want to help make this site the best it can be.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok....
1. How does one use a different browser on the phone? We're stuck with IE.
2. Seriously take a look at the mobile version of site I mentioned above (m.rcgroups.com). I've had ZERO issues with it on my phone, or any phone for that matter (reading, posting, replying, etc.). I like how it defaults to going to the first unread post in a thread. About the only thing I think it needs a link to "mark all threads read" somewhere.
Also, you might want to try contacting the site operators. They are nice guys and they might be willing to help.
3. No problem. Just want to help make this site the best it can be.

Guzzler3,

Thanks for the note, especially the other mobile site you listed. We're going to check that out, and connect with them if necessary.

Much appreciated!

Tom Kaminski

Community Web Master
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Made some fixes to the mobile site. Your Windows Phone should work on the mobile site, and if you continue to experience issues, let me know.

On the full site (desktop), the version of CKEditor we use has known issue with IE.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Re #1, there are no different browsers for Windows Phones. IE is it. Any so-called alternate browser (UC, Surfcube) is just a skin of IE. We don't have Chrome, Opera or anything else.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hate to bring this back up, but...

I have noticed that on my Lumia 810 (GDR3) forum pages never completely load. The progress bar get to around 90% and just sits there. And it gets worse, because if I forget to press stop (X) and go to another app, IE continues to try to finish loading the page in the background and runs down my battery (this took me several days trying to figure it out).

Tom Kaminski

Community Web Master
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The rich text editor doesn't work in IE11, and I can't post at all when using a touch screen. LOVELY!
I tested with IE 11 in Windows 8.1 and the rich text editor works fine. What device are you using??

Please note that the current version of the rich text editor that is being used is *not* supported for IE on Windows Phone devices. Therefore you must use the mobile style in this case. Normally, you should be redirected to the mobile style on your phone, but if not, then goto http://m.forums.windowscentral.com

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I tested with IE 11 in Windows 8.1 and the rich text editor works fine. What device are you using??

Please note that the current version of the rich text editor that is being used is *not* supported for IE on Windows Phone devices. Therefore you must use the mobile style in this case. Normally, you should be redirected to the mobile style on your phone, but if not, then goto http://m.forums.windowscentral.com

The site (editor) drives me nuts on my Windows Phone which is so ironic given that if it should work on anything, it should be a Windows Phone.

We would love it fixed so it works. However I thank you for your post and will try that link.

topliner967

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hate to bring this back up, but...

I have noticed that on my Lumia 810 (GDR3) forum pages never completely load. The progress bar get to around 90% and just sits there. And it gets worse, because if I forget to press stop (X) and go to another app, IE continues to try to finish loading the page in the background and runs down my battery (this took me several days trying to figure it out).

Same thing for me on the 820.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Same thing for me on the 820.

I've given up trying to browse the forums via IE on my phone. Yesterday I thought I would give it another try, and again I forgot to (X) the page before leaving IE and putting the phone in my pocket, and about an hour later I went to check the weather, I went from 75% charge to 50% charge.Then I remembered that I was looking at WPC forums previously, brought up IE, and sure enough it was still trying to load the last forum page I was looking at. Hit (X) and locked the screen. A couple hours later I checked the battery, and it was still at 50%

I've bought the WPCentral app, but I find it difficult to use for browsing the forums with it. I just can't tell if there are any new posts to a thread. Also when I back out a sub section to the forums main area, I'm always put back to the 'top'. Then I have to flip left or right to get back to the sub sections.

So to sum it up... I've quit trying to read the forums except on a PC with either Firefox or IE.

P.S.
To top it all off, the live tile for the WPCentral app won't update on my L810 with GDR3 preview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans