wpcentral app crashing on start after 521 update

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I can scroll through and read all articles, but It appears to crash out when I reach the Squids For Windows Article, no matter how fast or slow I get there.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
This makes absolutely no sense... Clearly something is happening with the low memory devices and I'm running out of memory, but that should all be managed. When it crashes out can you re-launch and get prompted for a bug report?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I can scroll through and read all articles, but It appears to crash out when I reach the Squids For Windows Article, no matter how fast or slow I get there.

4.00.10.8.- Same here, Right after Squids the Nokia Article . Even crashed when offline at same point. I could read everything expect when I went to it it would drop back to app menu or home screen.

So I went in and changed image quality to low and turn wifi off. And able to scroll and load more articles..It appears to have fixed it on my end..

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
4.10.8.3 - Same here, Right after Squids the Nokia Article . Even crashed when offline at same point. I could read everything expect when I went to it it would drop back to app menu or home screen.

So I went in and changed image quality to low and turn wifi off. And able to scroll and load more articles..It appears to have fixed it on my end..
You beat me to it! I had just had such a brainwave.

I think our content management system has started serving out higher quality images unnecessarily, and that's causing low mem devices to struggle and die. I'm looking into making some changes now into how we can fix that on our end, but I have to be careful as it might cause problems with some automatic image sizing on the app.

All users who are able to reach the settings screens please change your settings to low or medium quality images to fix this problem for now.

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes,I have had this since last night too after the latest update. Just goes right back to standby screen. Am sure Jay will fix it. Mine is UK latest version installed just checked

mark nt

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok just woke up....and tried the fix of setting images to low/mid setting after reinstalling the app and it works, so that's great news
And once again Jay thanks for the tierless hard work and awesome support, it people like u that make great apps just work so well.

Mark

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
yaaay it works! i set images to medium and it stopped crashing!

but idk if it has to do with the wi-fi setting, since mine was off and the app was still crashing when images was set to high!

edit: i found something interesting...since my "high quality images on wi-fi" was off, i turned it on while leaving images to medium and the app didn't crash!

will keep testing a bit more!

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll get this fix coded up and working before I sleep tonight guys I promise. With and luck I can ask Microsoft to rush the fix through as well. Essentially I'm going to need to limit the 512mb devices to using lower definition images in it's requests.
In the meantime thanks to our amazing community here you can try these steps to fix it:

1: Put your phone into flight mode and start the app. This should prevent it retrieving the images if they're not already cached
2: Start the app and you should have enough time to go to settings
2(a): If you don't have enough time, uninstall the app, re-install it and put your phone back into flight mode then try again.
3: Once you're in settings, find the images option and set it to medium quality.
4: Disable flight mode and try using the app!

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
yeah I see it with 4.0.10.8 on the Lumia 521 as well - US region

I tried your fix above but no matter what I do, it force closes whether I can hit settings or not.

CobaltDragon

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
This is weird. It's working now with same app version (4.0.10.8) and high quality images on. Didn't even need to reinstall the app. Maybe it was one specific feed item causing the issue ?

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Quite possibility one of our images was too big, but I want to fix this for good so there's an email that's gone round to you guys with a beta update. Need you to test that it disables high quality images asap please! :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
(I fell asleep because...it was already 9 PM here in the Philippines. I hope you could forgive me for that.)

Two things I noticed.
1. This isn't the same problem I encountered a week ago. The problem actually went away after a couple of articles.
2. I've lost access to the beta app. (I don't have permissions to download it)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss