SmartGlass vs the Wii U Controller

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Which one do you think has a better chance of controlling the living room?

I think the Wii U will win the functionality war but SmartGlass will dominate the raw numbers. Reason being, SmartGlass is coming to Windows 8 PC/Phones, iOS and Android. There's already millions of mobile devices out there and (presumably) all someone has to do is download an app whereas the Wii U has to build its user base from scratch. And of course, more users equates to more devs supporting SmartGlass.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with what functionality the Wii U has. I SHOULD know, but I've been so busy. I don't suppose you could mention what you believe it does that SmartGlass can't?

I imagine that whatever it is, the ability can be made available in SmartGlass through an update eventually. Unless you're talking about physical controls that the Wii U remote has of course.

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Which one do you think has a better chance of controlling the living room?

I think the Wii U will win the functionality war but SmartGlass will dominate the raw numbers. Reason being, SmartGlass is coming to Windows 8 PC/Phones, iOS and Android. There's already millions of mobile devices out there and (presumably) all someone has to do is download an app whereas the Wii U has to build its user base from scratch. And of course, more users equates to more devs supporting SmartGlass.
From a gaming standpoint the Wii U controller looks to have the edge based on the fact that it's actually a controller - i.e. analog sticks, buttons, etc. It's much easier to glance down at the screen on the controller you're using while playing a game instead of a screen on a separate device (if that makes sense)

The problem with Nintendo is and has always been (since the N64 days anyway) lack of third party support in games/apps, a refusal to really invest in a true quality online network, and a "kiddie" image that it has not been able to shed since the Gamecube. Sadly, I can see all three remaining consistent in the upcoming gen with the Wii U. The other issues Nintendo faces is the fact that the graphical capability of the Wii U isn't much different than the current HD twins and the majority of "killer apps" are games we played last year (Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City, etc) or ports of games coming to other systems (Assassin's Creed III). The one thing Nintendo really has going for it is exclusive games, the Mario's, Zelda's, and Kirby's.

The SmartGlass could be great for Microsoft as it lessens the requirement of usage; all you need is a tablet/smartphone which many of us already have. The problem I see here is that it's really up to content providers to make this thing a success. If Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Disney, EA, Ubisoft, etc. decide that the tech isn't worth the time, you won't see rich content or extras as shown at the E3 presser. Why spend the extra time/dollars on making a game, app, or movie SmartGlass compatible when you may have to do it all over again in a year's time? While last year was the most successful for the Xbox brand in terms of sales/profit, it is clear that the Xbox 360 is on its last legs.

I can see a lot of these ideas being implemented in the next gen though which is exciting. I hope both succeed, but I'm not entirely sure they're fighting over the same space or audience. Nintendo has always marched to the beat of its own drum and I don't expect this to change.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with what functionality the Wii U has. I SHOULD know, but I've been so busy. I don't suppose you could mention what you believe it does that SmartGlass can't?

I imagine that whatever it is, the ability can be made available in SmartGlass through an update eventually. Unless you're talking about physical controls that the Wii U remote has of course.

Promo vids at the link:

SmartGlass
Smartglass support will be included in all Microsoft’s first-party Xbox titles | WMPoweruser

Wii U
E3 2011 - Nintendo REVEALS "Wii u" coming 2012! - YouTube

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Smartglass will do well, simply because so many people will already have devices that will be able to use it. The diehard Nintendo fans will buy whatever console Nintendo tosses out. I mean, I like the concept of the Wii U, I just can't help but think that Nintendo is six years behind in the game, and it won't help them out much.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Smartglass and the Wii U are going to fail horribly, just because there's no use for it. Smartglass, they showed what you'd be using it for. And it was just completely unneccesary. You can't even think of a good way to incorporate it.

They're taking tablets too far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3