Xbox vNext specs leak

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft News | Xbox vNext Technical Specs Revealed, Powered By 8 CPU Cores And 8GB RAM

CPU:
- x64 Architecture
- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)
- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache
- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache
- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources
- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock GPU:
- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor
- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads
- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle
- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present
Storage and Memory:
- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)
- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)
- from the GPU?s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.
- Hard drive is always present
- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet
- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:
- Move engines
- Image, video, and audio codecs
- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware
- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

Interesting. Im sure we are going to get a sneak peak at E3 this year. Cant wait.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sounds fast. Will be interesting to see how the mobile/console gaming world converges in the Microsoft line.

This is key product differentiation if Microsoft play things right... play on the phone, play at home.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I can't get on to the link for some reason.

I have seen so many rumours my head spins. Most seem to suggest that the Xbox is some way behind the PS4. Apparently the RAM in the Sony one is quicker. I also read that they would both have 100GB bluray inside.

Sadly, I think MS will have the weaker machine in some respects.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Quite possibly. I'll be honest, there are a multitude of opinions on the internet of which is more powerful. The xbox 360 has a RAM advantage (cheers for that Epic), the PS3 has some crazy cell processor fun going off. If I'm honest I can only go on what I am told regarding which is best. It would have been nice to have the edge on all fronts though in the new generation.

I have seen some specs mentioned for the next one that sound superb, and sound stronger.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I just mentioned this on the front page post, but honestly, I think it's wishful thinking, and the main reason is the listing for 8GB of RAM, which is overkill for a console (unless the dashboard's memory footprint is going to increase drastically).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I skipped out on the PS3 this gen, can't say I regret my decision. However, I'm pretty interested to see what Sony brings next gen. However, the next Xbox is a given. Can't miss out on that. The specs look amazing, though I doubt we'll get a console with 8GB of RAM. You'd think with lower RAM prices that systems would come stuffed with the stuff, however, I fear console makers aren't ready to make that leap yet.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The upper hand in consoles will always go to the 1 with a head start, that, or it has to really outsell the other. The PS3 has specs well above the 360, any game specifically made for the PS3 is absolutely gorgeous. The problem with the PS3 is that the 360 came out a year before it and already had a following and core gamers. Game devs made the decision that pretty much all games would be made for the 360 and ported to PS3, there are very few games that go the other way. This means that most cross platform games are optimized for the 360 and when they port theyre rarely as good looking on the PS3. I think this time around, if they both come out at the same time, if the PS3 is more powerful, it will get the nod and devs will start making games more suited for the PS3 hardware.

I have both a 360 and a PS3 and the only reason i have a 360 is for a couple exclusives, and for some of the arcade hits that arent on PS3. PS3 has free online gaming, and much better exclusives. Ill take a slight hit in graphics for that bonus.

Shawn

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I skipped out on the PS3 this gen, can't say I regret my decision. However, I'm pretty interested to see what Sony brings next gen. However, the next Xbox is a given. Can't miss out on that. The specs look amazing, though I doubt we'll get a console with 8GB of RAM. You'd think with lower RAM prices that systems would come stuffed with the stuff, however, I fear console makers aren't ready to make that leap yet.

I had to get one...one word...Uncharted... epic game series, worth owning the PS3 just for that. Besides a few key games that are exclusive to the PS3, I never use my PS3 but, have been on my 360 almost every other day, if not every day. I think I have 5-6 games for the Ps3 and have about 50 for the 360...

When it comes down to it, if the PS4 or the 720 has better specs, who cares ? It's all about the games. Just because the PS3 has better specs on paper the games are better and most converstions (games for both systems) look better on the 360 and xbox live is a far better online system than PSN. Dont give the free multi play thing, when it comes down to it, XBL is way better than PSN and worth paying for.

The big things I hope for the 720 or what ever it's called is 4K res suppport (yea TVs are all $10K plus now but, in 3-5 years, in it's life span, it will be the standard) and hardware support for xbox 360 titles, so it can run every past game and not be stuck in a emulation and your waiting for support for a older title that never comes (meaning I need to have my 360 and 720 connect to play games)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think 4k will be supported, not a chance. Although I would be happy if they did. As for the hardware support for 360 games, I imagine that would be popular, but not a deal breaker for me. I am likely to keep my 360 and pass it on to my kids. Should keep them off my new box.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The upper hand in consoles will always go to the 1 with a head start, that, or it has to really outsell the other. The PS3 has specs well above the 360, any game specifically made for the PS3 is absolutely gorgeous. The problem with the PS3 is that the 360 came out a year before it and already had a following and core gamers. Game devs made the decision that pretty much all games would be made for the 360 and ported to PS3, there are very few games that go the other way. This means that most cross platform games are optimized for the 360 and when they port theyre rarely as good looking on the PS3. I think this time around, if they both come out at the same time, if the PS3 is more powerful, it will get the nod and devs will start making games more suited for the PS3 hardware.

I have both a 360 and a PS3 and the only reason i have a 360 is for a couple exclusives, and for some of the arcade hits that arent on PS3. PS3 has free online gaming, and much better exclusives. Ill take a slight hit in graphics for that bonus.

Shawn

I think that was a big help for Microsoft, that one-year head start, but I don't think ANY head start would have helped the Wii U, as that console basically just brought Nintendo's hardware on-par with the competition as those consoles are about to be retired. I think both consoles will release this holiday, and I'm sticking with Microsoft, as Xbox LIVE is a feature I like more than everything Sony offers combined.

That, and I simply do not want to own two consoles. I'll MAYBE get another PlayStation when Kingdom Hearts 3 is released, but that's really the only game that can rope me in.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I think some games (maybe the arcade games) should be able to start it on my Xbox and then if I leave, by using smartglass I could continue the game on my phone and vice versa. That would help out both communities.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Looks like I have to eat a whole lot of crow on this. I was pretty adamant that the specs were ridiculous, because 8GB of RAM is overkill for a console... but Sony's PS4 was just announced to have that amount, and so it wouldn't be surprising to see the same on the next Xbox. Chances are I was entirely wrong, it looks like.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
its all about the games, if i see no games i wont buy it. simple.

And those Allways online rumours are really scary and no used games, holly **** M$ is going evil again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb