Next Xbox new rumor that better be wrong. No second hand games

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Take it with a grain, and lets hope this is wrong. I'd like to think MS wouldn't be stupid enough to not allow used games but well find out soon. If this isn't true, I'd come out now and squash this immediately.
The source also said previously released specs are wrong.

I will mot by a console that prevents ability to play second hand games. This will kill any console that tries this.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, the always online thing better be wrong or not prevent one from playing games if they have no internet connection. People lose internet for periods of time sometimes. Why should you not be able to still play a game in that case?

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
agreed with both posts. why would I want to buy a game that's been out for a while, and not be able to buy it used for a reduced price?! especially if I can on other consoles. Gamestop and other stores would probably be pissed also.

and the internet connection requirement is also dumb. like Dave said, what if I don't have access to internet but want to play some campaign mode?

I see why MS($) would want to do both, the "no firsthand games" keeps the prices of games high. and the online mode stops piracy (I guess?) but I dont know anyone who mods their xbox or anything like that. although I'm sure the niche exists. either way, both are pretty stupid ideas to me

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Welp, I know what I won't be buying, if true. The economics of it just don't make sense. And it's just absurd. My internet connection has gone down at points sure, but it also doesn't make any sense outside of the US. When I lived in Mexico City, my home internet hardly functioned. But I played my XBox all the time anyway. Why would anyone in a country with unreliable internet buy an XBox now? And let's be honest, this isn't about piracy, this is about sticking a knife in Gamestop so devs make more money. It's the only way EA is going to survive.

Last edited:

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I really have to think this can't be true. Maybe I'm wrong, but i think this would kill any chance at success if it were to happen. You'd have to think MS would realize this and that this rumors are bs.

rekesh vekariya

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This is something that developers want, something the console makers want therefore something like this will occur at one point or another, the only real question is whom is going to implement it first ? Sony or Microsoft. I suspect both of their divisions will be having secret talks to each other and game developers about this.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Honestly wouldn't affect me. I am always connected and I always buy my games brand new. Idk how many people are like me though..

that being said, I highly doubt this is the road Microsoft is going down.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly wouldn't affect me. I am always connected and I always buy my games brand new. Idk how many people are like me though..

There will be a point when all games will be digital download only and i dont think its too far off. It greatly reduces production costs and helps combat piracy. There was talk of this a while ago with games being available at special vending machines that would take your money and download the game onto a card compatible with the console for those people without internet connections. Its an interesting concept that I dont think is too far off in the future.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't bother you that you are in effect renting a game you bought? What if you want to go bring Halo 7 (or whatever) over to your friend's house to play co-op in person?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So this is the source my cousin was using. Cheers for the link! If it's true I see the Xbox going down in flames and the PS4 being the console of choice.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother you that you are in effect renting a game you bought? What if you want to go bring Halo 7 (or whatever) over to your friend's house to play co-op in person?

I'm not saying its bad, in most cases my friend would already have that game too! Maybe I just sign into my account and bam I can play it on his xbox with him as a guest. Idk, either way I'm not buying into this rumor one bit.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying its bad, in most cases my friend would already have that game too! Maybe I just sign into my account and bam I can play it on his xbox with him as a guest. Idk, either way I'm not buying into this rumor one bit.

Why aren't you buying it? There's been talk for years that Microsoft and Sony want to do this.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the resale of games is permitted under uk law, so MS blocking it might cause them problems; thats why PC game makers went with activation codes that had to be rebought for 2nd hand games.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
There will be a point when all games will be digital download only and i dont think its too far off. It greatly reduces production costs and helps combat piracy. There was talk of this a while ago with games being available at special vending machines that would take your money and download the game onto a card compatible with the console for those people without internet connections. Its an interesting concept that I dont think is too far off in the future.

Itd be one thing if they passed some of those savings to us, but chances are they wont which blows.

If I ever had a console like that, I'd hardly by any games. Many times, you get games that suck or you're disappointed with. I wouldn't take any chances and only get games I know I'd like

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Itd be one thing if they passed some of those savings to us, but chances are they wont which blows.

If I ever had a console like that, I'd hardly by any games. Many times, you get games that suck or you're disappointed with. I wouldn't take any chances and only get games I know I'd like

The other thing I just noticed is what would happen to the increasing market of game renting. There are large companies built around video game renting. I don't think they can just kill them all off. That's why im a bit skeptical

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The other thing I just noticed is what would happen to the increasing market of game renting. There are large companies built around video game renting. I don't think they can just kill them all off. That's why im a bit skeptical

But that's exactly what developers want is to kill off the second-hand and rented market. And if Microsoft got favorable terms from the developers, you'd be believe they would implement something like that.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
But that's exactly what developers want is to kill off the second-hand and rented market. And if Microsoft got favorable terms from the developers, you'd be believe they would implement something like that.

Would Microsoft make this jump before Sony? Or do you think they would have to make the jump together?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah savings being passed down to the consumer... Dont think thats ever happened in the history of consumerism... Will probably charge us more for "unforseen digital storage solutions"

And youve got to imagine that if games are all digital download they would include some sort of free trial period of the full game

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills