XBOX One controller

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So I didn't quickly notice any real difference with the XBOX One controller to the previous controllers? I guess no real chance for them to be interchangeable though.. like using a wireless 360 controller for One.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Looked pretty similar, which is good. The 360's controller is great!

I am not so sure about being compatible though. I don't expect them to be.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
They're not interchangeable at all, you'll need new controllers for the Xbox One. The 360 controllers use a 5GHz wireless connection to the console, while the One controllers will use Wi-Fi Direct for connection. Not quite sure why that makes it any better (because you already could use a 360 controller in any room completely out of the line of sight) or more efficient, but I suppose I should go find out how Wi-Fi Direct works.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
They're not interchangeable at all, you'll need new controllers for the Xbox One. The 360 controllers use a 5GHz wireless connection to the console, while the One controllers will use Wi-Fi Direct for connection. Not quite sure why that makes it any better (because you already could use a 360 controller in any room completely out of the line of sight) or more efficient, but I suppose I should go find out how Wi-Fi Direct works.

It means your Xbox One controller can connect to almost ANY modern device with Wifi.

Anyone talking about how Playstation controllers were better because of Bluetooth, now has no argument. Wifi-Direct is going to REPLACE Bluetooth.

Also, Windows 8.1 will support Wifi-Direct natively. If you research Wifi-Direct a little more, you'll see why Microsoft's ecosystem will be the best. The possibilities are endless.

For starters, extending Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone apps to your TV via Xbox One will certainly happen. :)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Also, they said the triggers have programmable feedback... Not sure if this will be akin to force feedback, where they can vary the resistance or something to do with vibrations? IDK, but should be good for FPS games. Oh, and maybe driving games too?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, they said the triggers have programmable feedback... Not sure if this will be akin to force feedback, where they can vary the resistance or something to do with vibrations? IDK, but should be good for FPS games. Oh, and maybe driving games too?
Yes! Imagine feeling the feedback from your gun on your trigger finger, or the controller vibration happening on either left or right trigger in a racing game, depending on what direction your car might be turning/drifting in.

Thanks for the Wi-Fi Direct info, Robert. That is truly exciting. I'm very impressed. Time to go soak up some more knowledge...

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
It means your Xbox One controller can connect to almost ANY modern device with Wifi.

Anyone talking about how Playstation controllers were better because of Bluetooth, now has no argument. Wifi-Direct is going to REPLACE Bluetooth.

Also, Windows 8.1 will support Wifi-Direct natively. If you research Wifi-Direct a little more, you'll see why Microsoft's ecosystem will be the best. The possibilities are endless.

For starters, extending Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone apps to your TV via Xbox One will certainly happen. :)

Definitely did not realize the possibilities with the Wi-fi Direct. I was assuming that MS was making another blunder by making a custom protocol for their controller. I was hoping for bluetooth for compatibility with my phones and tablets. Good to know this is still possible!

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I just can't wait to get my hands on one of these. But it's all about how that controller will feel in my hands after hours of play. The 360 controller was a tad too small for me so I had to take breaks every once in a while. Still the best feeling controller in my hands to date.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sessler asked if the triggers could have resistance, and was told that they could if the developer programmed it that way.

We could end up having different guns actually FEEL different.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the 360 controllers were still 2.4GHz, just a proprietary signal. Similar to how most wireless keyboards and mice do the same thing (except for the few Bluetooth ones).
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Sessler asked if the triggers could have resistance, and was told that they could if the developer programmed it that way.

Oooh, seriously? Now that's awesome. I didn't expect that.

Edit: Check this out, how they're using the vibration in the triggers: http://gizmodo.com/xbox-one-controller-hands-on-rumbling-triggers-are-fre-509174701

Last edited:

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

Holy tits, that sounds awesome! Wow... the more I hear about the features the XO offers, the more I get excited about the system. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Realistic trigger pulls for shooting games, more control of accelerating and braking on racing games, and I even see many possibilities with this on sports games... I am loving the future right now

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmh, even as a competetive shooter, having realistic trigger pulls (or more so trigger breaks) sounds really odd, but I guess one could get used to it with time. But it also seems like a lot of the strain on the controller..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Do not like the moved Guide button or the changing of the Start and Back buttons right now. I know I simply won't like the Guide button's movement, but the changing of those buttons might grow on me, as I figure out their purposes and capabilities. Basically a wash overall, but MAYBE a slight downgrade from the 360 controller. Not sure how I will feel about the D-Pad yet.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, I love the new directional pad... Don't know why they insisted on a round one with the 360.

Edit: and the trigger feedback sounds interesting too.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope the new Kinect renders the controller moot...

I'm sceptic when it comes to voice recognition for those who arn't native speakers. I've understood though that the 360 and kinect would allow to make your own commands etc? I guess in this case it's not a problem, but going for some kind of universal voice recognition might be hard, especially when fe. trying to pronounce non-english person or channel names. I'm pretty damn sure that me telling "Xbox, skype Joonas" or "Xbox, show nelonen" (tv channel) will probably not get me very far if I pronounce them as they really are pronounced in finnish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss