Live TV on XBox One

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am really curious to know more about live tv on the Xbox One!

I hope it will be possible to share recorded tv with my Windows 8, RT and Phone devices!

But more important: I hope there will be support for live tv in Europe and especially the Netherlands! That would entail I can ditch my mediacenter and replace the whole thing with one Xbox One! For the past years and years it has been really hard to get mediacenter support for cable television in Europe. In the end: still no support, only work arounds!

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
I was watching intently about the Live TV features. I was hoping to hear about Multiple Tuners and Cable Card Support, but neither came up. I've got a Media Center PC with 4 Tuners that I'd like to replace with this new Xbox.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that more details are being given out on this specifically as we're talking about this right now. I know the press is right now getting more details in that Xbox tent, or somewhere nearby at least, but this is crucial. Keeping on topic with live TV, there are a lot of questions I think people are wanting more detail on. I would be impressed if there is some sort of way one of those wireless OTA antennas could connect to the Xbox One, even if it required some extra peripheral. I've completely cut the cord and won't be signing up again with cable for the foreseeable future. My hopes are low that this will actually happen, so I suppose I will keep having to deal with "switching TV inputs" for now :p

Still, whether I can get it or not, I would love to hear more details about how it will work with existing cable boxes and cable cards and such. What about DVR functionality? Will programming be passed through the cable box and stored on the Xbox, or will it just be streamed from the DVR/Cable company box itself? And can it access recorded shows from the DVR to at least stream them for pause, fast forward, and rewind? Questions questions.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe it will be using HDMI pass through and either control other devices through the HDMI cable, or you may have to use and IR transmitter that can control everything. So, in short, I don't think it will replace or work with multiple tunners, unless you can use an HDMI switch box between the One and your tunners.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They did mention DVR for games.. You can post replays to the cloud... I'd assume it could DVR live TV as well, but they didn't confirm it.

Plantje

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That would make an Xbox One more or less like an old fashioned VCR. The only advantage is the IR blaster that will controll the cable box. And indeed that is how I understand it now as well.

That's really too bad! Microsoft should have stepped up a long time ago and really support this. That could have been a huge advantage compared to any other vendor out there!

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
They did mention DVR for games.. You can post replays to the cloud... I'd assume it could DVR live TV as well, but they didn't confirm it.

If they'd make it a TB HDD with DVR functionality I'd practically camp out for one. This is coming from a guy who has never played a single xbox game. I would love to have MS tech attached to my dvr along with all the other fx they demo'd.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That's really too bad! Microsoft should have stepped up a long time ago and really support this.

They did, a long time ago, with Windows Media Center and a CableCard tuner. It's really a shame that their new "one box" solution isn't as good as their old one box solution.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
They did, a long time ago, with Windows Media Center and a CableCard tuner. It's really a shame that their new "one box" solution isn't as good as their old one box solution.

I think it's better personally. The problem with tuners is that each cable provider has their own standards and protocols, that's why support for Windows Media Center was always very limited. This was the reason it didn't grow.

Xbox One's method ensures a much larger audience and compatibility, on a global scale nonetheless. :)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
There is a "remote" possibility that the One will control your cable box and TV through the HDMI "CEC" option, without the need for an IR transmitter.... Like my BluRay player that will turn my TV on and set it to the proper input. Not all HDMI devices will control my TV like that.

[h=4]CEC[/h]Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is an HDMI feature designed to allow the user to command and control up-to 15 CEC-enabled devices, that are connected through HDMI,[SUP][71][/SUP][SUP][72][/SUP] by using only one of their remote controls (for example by controlling a television set, set-top box, and DVD player using only the remote control of the TV).[SUP][73][/SUP] CEC also allows for individual CEC-enabled devices to command and control each other without user intervention.[SUP][73][/SUP][SUP][74][/SUP][SUP][75][/SUP][SUP][76][/SUP][SUP][77][/SUP][SUP][78][/SUP][SUP][79][/SUP]
It is a one-wire bidirectional serial bus that is based on the CENELEC standard AV.link protocol to perform remote control functions. CEC wiring is mandatory, although implementation of CEC in a product is optional.[SUP][57][/SUP] It was defined in HDMI Specification 1.0 and updated in HDMI 1.2, HDMI 1.2a and HDMI 1.3a (which added timer and audio commands to the bus).[SUP][73][/SUP][SUP][80][/SUP][SUP][81][/SUP][SUP][82][/SUP][SUP][83][/SUP] USB to CEC Adapters exist that allow a computer to control CEC enabled devices.[SUP][84][/SUP][SUP][85][/SUP][SUP][86][/SUP][SUP][87][/SUP]
Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).[SUP][88][/SUP][SUP][89][/SUP][SUP][90][/SUP][SUP][91][/SUP][SUP][92][/SUP]
The following is a list of HDMI-CEC commands:

• One Touch Play allows devices to switch the TV to use it as the active source when playback starts
  • System Standby enables users to switch multiple devices to standby mode with the press of one button
  • Preset Transfer transfers the tuner channel setup to another TV set
  • One Touch Record allows users to record whatever is currently being shown on the HDTV screen on a selected recording device
  • Timer Programming allows users to use the electronic program guides (EPGs) that are built into many HDTVs and set-top-boxes to program the timer in recording devices like PVRs and DVRs
  • System Information checks all components for bus addresses and configuration
  • Deck Control allows a component to interrogate and control the operation (play, pause, rewind etc.), of a playback component (Blu-ray or HD DVD player or a Camcorder, etc.)
  • Tuner Control allows a component to control the tuner of another component
  • OSD Display uses the OSD of the TV set to display text
  • Device Menu Control allows a component to control the menu system of another component by passing through the user interface (UI) commands
  • Routing Control controls the switching of signal sources
  • Remote Control Pass Through allows remote control commands to be passed through to other devices within the system
  • Device OSD Name Transfer transfers the preferred device names to the TV set
  • System Audio Control allows the volume of an AV receiver, integrated amplifier or pre-amplifier to be controlled using any remote control from a suitably-equipped device(s) in the system

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Bose system, where my bose remote controls everything, TV, cable, Xbox (on/off), Blu ray, etc. Hope that if we go with this system, that the kinect is more reliable than it is now, or we will be able to control the Xbox with the Bose remote. I hate how the kinect comes on when the family is talking while watching something, and the kinect assumes we gave it a command, and starts fast forwarding or just plain stops. Its especially anoying when my son is practicing his instrument. he has actually made the kinect do commands if he hits certain notes.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think needing another box connected by HDMI to the One blows the entire "One" concept. LiveTV integration is key to the One but in the end the cableco's are the ones screwing things up. From what we know now, every One will need a cable box sitting next to it. An ugly, cable labs approved POS that they want to rent to you every month. I don't have any of those in my house and I won't. Currently I have a Media Center with a Ceton quad tuner that sends live TV to 2 360's and 2 DMA2200's and it works great. Not perfect but great. How will the One integrate without a cable box? I get the feeling it won't. Media Center needs to go. Booting up an xBox or Extender just to boot into Media Center is a bit redundant in 2013 even if my rig and network handle the process in very little time. MS needs to tell us that the One will stream from a Win8 cablecard tuner PC just like it would connected to a POS cableco box via hdmi. Anything less will be ... less.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb