This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Robert Carpenter's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    For everyone looking at the negatives of game drm, open your mind.

    You will never have to worry about losing game discs.
    You will never have to worry about stolen games. It doesn't matter if it gets stolen, and no one is going to steal a game they can't use anyway.
    It doesn't matter if your disc gets damaged or scratched.
  2. Keith Wallace's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,158 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,159 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Now, think of what the negatives MIGHT be:

    1. You might not be able to lend games to friends indefinitely (they might make games have a temporary unlock for lending), or at all.
    2. Renting games might be a pain (could require temporary unlock codes from the rental company).
    3. Used games might become more expensive (depending on the price of the unlock code).

    I'll take careless folks scratching their discs in exchange for not having those 3 things above happening.
  3. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,237 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I was reading that if you sell a game to someone that is still close to being a new release, the fee they will have to pay to use it will be basically the same as new.
  4. iHuGi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Even if someone steals your game it is on your hard drive you dont need the dics because the games ties to your Console and your Gamertag just like Live Arcade.
  5. iHuGi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    But imagine if my Xbox breaks or Kinect and i need a new ONE and in case my account gets hacked...

    I lose everything. BOHH
  6. Keith Wallace's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,158 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,159 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by iHuGi View Post
    But imagine if my Xbox breaks or Kinect and i need a new ONE and in case my account gets hacked...

    I lose everything. BOHH
    I would imagine you can re-install everything, so long as you have the disc. Heck, they might even have a downloadable copy.
  7. camptime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Does this mean that once a game is on the hard drive we will no longer need to insert the disc to start the game?
    Not into buying used games but on the same token can understand how those that are may be upset about the this not everyone can afford to pay full price when you are on a budget.
  8. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I would imagine you can re-install everything, so long as you have the disc. Heck, they might even have a downloadable copy.
    All games are supposed to be available for download as well as on disk (think I read this on Wired) so if you lose the disk and need to reinstall its no problem as you own the bits which you can just re download. Your game progress is also saved in the cloud so its easy to get back up and going.
  9. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by camptime View Post
    Does this mean that once a game is on the hard drive we will no longer need to insert the disc to start the game?
    Not into buying used games but on the same token can understand how those that are may be upset about the this not everyone can afford to pay full price when you are on a budget.
    Yep, no need for the disk unless you want to take it to a friends.
    camptime likes this.
  10. Keith Wallace's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,158 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,159 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlotC View Post
    All games are supposed to be available for download as well as on disk (think I read this on Wired) so if you lose the disk and need to reinstall its no problem as you own the bits which you can just re download. Your game progress is also saved in the cloud so its easy to get back up and going.
    Yeah, I just read the interview a little while ago. It was actually a really terrible interview, because the guy didn't press for any legitimate information on the important things. He basically let the guy dance around and give vague answers about things like used games, and we learned very little from the interview as a result.
  11. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    Yeah, I just read the interview a little while ago. It was actually a really terrible interview, because the guy didn't press for any legitimate information on the important things. He basically let the guy dance around and give vague answers about things like used games, and we learned very little from the interview as a result.
    You can bet that the reason for the dancing is they just don't know how its going to work yet. I think they are waiting to see what consumers are saying before making any hard and fast statements and decisions - I doubt we will hear anything about it at E3 as well. In typical Microsoft fashion all will be revealed about a month before the launch.
  12. Keith Wallace's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,158 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,159 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    You can bet that the reason for the dancing is they just don't know how its going to work yet. I think they are waiting to see what consumers are saying before making any hard and fast statements and decisions - I doubt we will hear anything about it at E3 as well. In typical Microsoft fashion all will be revealed about a month before the launch.
    If they want to find out our reaction, they need to give us something to react to. We're all playing the "will they-won't they?) game here. If they said "we plan to do THIS," they would get a reasonable response from people (well, an informed one...it might be overblown and ridiculous). I don't know how to react because I have nothing to react to.
  13. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by iHuGi View Post
    But imagine if my Xbox breaks or Kinect and i need a new ONE and in case my account gets hacked...

    I lose everything. BOHH
    Your account will say you own the game. You will be able to download it.

Similar Threads

  1. Time so say goodbye to WP8
    By badMojo69 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 10:43 AM
  2. Sad Day... Surface lost / STOLEN.
    By jaimeastin in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 11:47 PM
  3. Saying goodbye to my Lumia
    By tbonecopper in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM
  4. Say goodbye to landlines?
    By HeyCori in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions