E3 without the politics

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
E3 was kind of a bust for me. Console politics aside, I'm not seeing much beyond a bunch of rehash franchises, PR hype, sub-par Indie titles and a rather sparse collection of exclusive games. I don't even understand the ****** cheerleading, because what you got last generation is exactly what you're getting next generation. Chances are I'll just buy a XO and PS4 and let the fanboys fight over who's "winning." And yes, I'm fully aware that I left out the Wii U. Sorry Nintendo but your systems has been underperforming in every possible category I can think of and I very much doubt E3 is going to fix that. Sony and Microsoft don't have enough first party content (that I want to play) and Nintendo only has first party content.

I'm also disappointed that Sony isn't packing more innovation into the PS4. I do appreciate and think it's cool that the PS4 and Vita are truly interconnected, but I don't see anything "unique" about the PS4. I think Microsoft's approach to cloud connectivity is more advanced and will offer greater versatility in the future. I'm also waiting to see if the new PS Eye will come bundled with the PS4 and still cost $400.

And yes, I'm also aware that I'm talking about E3 as if it's already over but we all know the big announcements happen on day 1. And yes, I know Nintendo hasn't truly "had their turn" yet at E3, but we all know that Nintendo doesn't have much hidden up its sleeve.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
"The more things change the more they stay the same."

The only thing that is "innovated", from a gaming perspective is how Microsoft is handling the cloud computing. Console games will be more "alive" than ever.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree on some of this stuff. I've been wanting to se Nintendo give up on home consoles since the GameCube. The Wii sold well, but died out VERY quickly, and the Wii U is a disaster on a good day. They would do well to go the route of SEGA, in my opinion.

I won't get either console, though. Kingdom Hearts 3 is a game I REALLY want, but not to the point that I will spend $460 on a console and that game alone (not much else Sony offers that I care about). Microsoft's taken a tire iron to its respectability on the console front, in my mind. I can't pay $500 for things that we would be SHREDDING Sony for on this site. I love my Windows Phone, and I loved my Xbox. I love my Xbox 360 (the Halo 4 edition), and I love Xbox LIVE (I am 100% willing to pay $60/year for it). I hate the Xbox One, though. The console and games themselves are good, but Microsoft just threw roadblock after roadblock in front of me, until I finally stopped the car and said "screw it." If they want to force me to take a Kinect, fine. If they want to force me to plug the dumb thing in, I can live with it. If they expect me to pay for it, even if I don't want it, NO. If you want $60/year for Xbox LIVE, fine. If you want to lock a license to a console, I can live with it (normally not, but I don't really share or borrow games much). If I can't play my console when the Internet goes out, NO.

I sadly must say that this is the worst E3 I could have imagined. Instead of looking forward to the future, I'm hoping that the past (the Xbox 360) lives on for a long while. The original Xbox kept the LIVE lights on until 5 years after the 360 launched, and I'm hoping the same (or better) holds true this time. As of now, there is no next-gen of gaming to me. It's basically hope that the 360 has several years left in it, and that Microsoft sorts out the idiocy by the time the 360 dies out.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I can tell during the HD Microsoft stream, the graphics on these consoles are now where current PC's are.

All of the game looked identical to a current PC game running on max settings and with a steady 60 frames per second. Is no one satisfied with the graphical improvements? I'm stoked.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From what I can tell during the HD Microsoft stream, the graphics on these consoles are now where current PC's are.

All of the game looked identical to a current PC game running on max settings and with a steady 60 frames per second. Is no one satisfied with the graphical improvements? I'm stoked.

Yes was good to see - and its promising that now we have caught up to current PC graphics, over the years as devs unlock more power they will only get better and keep up with whatever PC is doing

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes was good to see - and its promising that now we have caught up to current PC graphics, over the years as devs unlock more power they will only get better and keep up with whatever PC is doing

That sounds a bit overexaggeration. While the devs will learn to utilize the consoles better as time passes, PCs will just get a lot more computing power. It won't be many years until the console won't keep up graphics wise anymore with PC.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That sounds a bit overexaggeration. While the devs will learn to utilize the consoles better as time passes, PCs will just get a lot more computing power. It won't be many years until the console won't keep up graphics wise anymore with PC.

I agree with you - I cant see it being more than 5 years max before the consoles are behind especially as 4k resolution displays starts becoming cheaper and comes into play. I wasn't on about the duration of the consoles lifespan

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I sadly must say that this is the worst E3 I could have imagined. Instead of looking forward to the future, I'm hoping that the past (the Xbox 360) lives on for a long while. The original Xbox kept the LIVE lights on until 5 years after the 360 launched, and I'm hoping the same (or better) holds true this time. As of now, there is no next-gen of gaming to me. It's basically hope that the 360 has several years left in it, and that Microsoft sorts out the idiocy by the time the 360 dies out.

I think the 360 is going to be around for at least 3 more years. At least with support and such. If people move to the X1 and PS4 quickly, the 360 (and the PS3) will die out sooner.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm also disappointed that Sony isn't packing more innovation into the PS4. I do appreciate and think it's cool that the PS4 and Vita are truly interconnected, but I don't see anything "unique" about the PS4. I think Microsoft's approach to cloud connectivity is more advanced and will offer greater versatility in the future. I'm also waiting to see if the new PS Eye will come bundled with the PS4 and still cost $400.

Nope. $59.99 for the PSEye addon.

PlayStation Eye, DualShock controller both priced $59 for PS4 | Joystiq

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon