Improving the Problems of Xbox One

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So I'm tired of listening to people blindly support and blindly bash this console in here. Even worse, I'm annoyed by people making assumptions about my viewpoints and calling names because of it. So, I am making this thread to (hopefully) avoid that ridiculousness. The intention here is to not do what we're already doing--call names, and say "I hate this," or "I love that." If you're going to post here, pretty simple rules:

1. If you want to say you don't like something, don't just say you don't like it. Offer a MEANINGFUL alternative to the problem. Case in point, don't just say, "remove the 24-hour check-in," suggest something like requiring the disc to be present for an initial spin-up to verify your ownership of the license, then let the disc drive sleep while you play the game from the HDD.

2. If you're going to discredit someone's suggestion, don't just dismiss it. Try to improve it or explain why it is an untenable philosophy. If you think that a disc-based check-in isn't a reasonable alternative to an online-based one, explain why.

3. Avoid name-calling. It doesn't progress the discussion in a positive manner, and it makes you look petty. More importantly, it makes you look unintelligent, as name-calling isn't a means of defending an argument.

So, that's that with this thread. I'm going to start posting suggestions here in a moment, and I encourage others to do the same.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The only thing Microsoft and Xbox can do to survive this next generation is to put their tail between their legs and reverse everything they have done. ** allow used games , leave it up to the publishers to implement online passes like ps3/ps4/360. Remove the always online aspect of the system. Every person at Microsoft who agreed to implement this should be fired. They didn't seem to realize that out of 80million units sold only 48million were xbl members. So what Microsoft did was cut their user base in almost half. Next they have to either drop Kinect like Sony dropped the pseye (it does not come with the console) and drop the Xbox 1 to $399 . If they don't do this the Xbox 1 will die a Dreamcast like death.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So, like I said in the example, I'm not fond of the 24-hour online check-in. I think that a better solution is kind of the inverse of the current model on the Xbox 360. Instead of supplementing the disc with the HDD, supplement the HDD with the disc. Either require the disc to be inserted every 24 hours to verify ownership of a license, or require it at the startup of each game session, the latter of which would be a better means of minimizing piracy/excessive game sharing. Upon startup, have the console read the disc to verify the license, then let the disc drive shut down, and play the game from the HDD. Basically, you get the same affect as an online check-in, but without the risk of hurting those in rural areas where Internet connectivity might be intermittent.

The biggest problem here would be the archaic means of verification, the disc. You'd have the same problem where if you break a disc, your license is lost, and you have to re-purchase the game, which would suck. I'm not 100% sure how to minimize that problem, but I'll say that breaking a disc isn't a common occurrence in the first place (I personally can't recall a time that I broke one of my games, though I've had 2 discs broken by relatives in 7 years or so, though one was a game I hadn't played in a long time, and I'm not sure that the other was a game I had played recently, either). One option would be to allow a customer to send in a broken disc, then pay a $5-10 fee as well, in order to receive a permanent digital permission key, similar to what you'd get by buying a digital copy of a game, though that might be a logistical pain in the ****.

That's the first thing I can suggest to improve what I think is the biggest complaint so far, anyone see a problem with the suggestion I missed or have another option that might be better?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm neutral on the 24 hour check-in, IMO. Not out of some "nothing to hide" sentiment, but due to internet availability becoming more and more saturated in developed countries. Try road tripping through the US. No really, try it. I was amazed at where I could get a *good* internet connection long before 4G went up, and it's only getting *better*.

And this isn't just a "US-thing" either. I handle lots of international roaming calls. Some of the best countries for wireless or rural internet are places like India.

There's a lot of understandable reasons people might be weirded out by always-on, but "no internet" is not much of an excuse these days. ;) May as well be saying it's unfair that the device requires electricity.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, for me who has xbox connected to internet all-the-time, always online is much better option.

I appreciate the fact the you don't have to play with those discs anymore. There is just no other option with disc-free gaming or is there? Also the fact that you can go where ever and play your games at site (in hotels for example if you travel a lot).

And on top of this, name a place where is no internet connection today? Summer house in some remote location could be one, but also there most probably you have your smart phone and you could tether the connection. Of course there are places and people in world that doesn't have possiblity to internet connection, but I think those people aren't complaining on internet about this issue.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I feel Microsoft is doing the same with the Xbox One as with Windows Phone: In Windows Phone they force Bing on us, which is still terrible in most countries except the USA and has very limited features there. For the Xbox One they offer all this TV stuff which is likely great if you are into sports and live in the USA, but in my country it will be worth nothing.

With Google or Apple it feels like they work globally, while Microsoft seems to focus on the USA and... oh, there are other countries too?!

Also, I don't feel like spending extra money for Kinect, I don't like Kinect at all, I do sports regularly in nature, I don't need to move strangely in front of my TV.

I just don't want to spend 100 euros more for many features they cant provide in my country or I just don't need or want.

I don't care at all about a necessary internet connection (I've used Steam for a long time and got used to the thought a while ago) but at the moment I tend more towards a PS4, even though I really, really dislike Sony and I like Microsoft.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Kinect should be optional. I personally will not use it even if you gave me one for free. The extra $100 is probably just for that. I want a removable HDD, 500 GB is nothing when it comes to mandatory installations. I don't care about the blu ray player. That only drives the cost up further and will probably make noise. I would rather have another hard drive. That thing where I have to have someone in my friends list in order to give the game away is also bs. You should be able to give the game to who ever you want and if they want to play online, make them pay for a serial key if your worried about piracy. Dear god. Why does it have to check up on you every 24 hours? If your giving us the option to order food from the console, at least gives us more then pizza hut. And why is it region locked?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't live in the USA, so all the cable TV integration stuff is useless. I have no interest in Kinect as well, so that's out of the equation too. I also enjoy lots of JRPGs which have historically been region-locked and the Xbox would cause trouble there as well. So for me the PS4 is the obvious choice.

That said, if I did live in the US I'd probably choose the X-Bone if only for the Halo series.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I swear people need to actually watch the original Xbox one announcement video, and actually see how kinect and the console work, then see Microsofts vision.

I honestly love the idea, i get home from work, i can say "Xbox on", "Xbox play Halo 5", "xbox playlist favourites", and regardless of what disk is in the drive, im ready to play halo, with my favourite tunes playing, all while making a sandwich and pouring a beer.

No more worrying about the kids ruining my disks, or which case they've put the disk in. 95% of the time my broadband will be fine for the callback, and in the odd scenario it isn't, it'll take 2 seconds to grab my mobile, fire up smartglass, and let the callback happen through my phone. Still faster than having to find the disk.

The whole point of the 24 hour callback, is to allow people to sell disks, so the solution is to sell disks cheaper, with non-resellable licenses. So i pay $50 for a sellable disk, or $30 for a non-resellable version. In one step, console gaming gets the price advantage of PC gaming, no 24 hour callback to worry about (with the non-sellable disks), and developers don't need to worry about second hand versions of games. Stop seeing the PS4 as their competition, and make Steam their competition.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The Kinect should be optional.

No it shouldn't. It would demolish the whole point MS is trying to do. Nobody (excluding fitness, dance, children games) will try to invent anything new on Kinect knowing the target audience most likely don't have the device. Now that everyone has it, situation is completely different. We might actually get some really cool stuff in future when devs really start to think outside the box.

I (almost) understand that people want that cool stuff be there ready and just then purchase the Kinect, but in this case you have to break some eggs to make omelet.

Only thing that could be done in this case from MS side is to increase the length of the pole in **** and decrease the price of the complete unit. But I am guessing, that they already take some hit with this price tag.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From my point of view and for me personally the xbox one has no problems and no negatives. There isn't a single thing that's been shown so far that is an issue for myself or anyone of my friends. All we see is positives.

Even people that have PS3's now are looking to get an Xbox One as well as a PS4.

Everything extra that the One does that the PS4 cant is a huge selling point and worth the extra money

Simon Gregory

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
One point I haven't seen made yet about Sony's supposed 'easy win' with regards to the resale of games, is that it may be a short sighted victory. In the longer term MS will likely be able to command more exclusive deals on the higher quality games, as it will be more attractive for the publishers to have more control over the license. The console with the best exclusive games tends to win out in the long term.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
So, like I said in the example, I'm not fond of the 24-hour online check-in. I think that a better solution is kind of the inverse of the current model on the Xbox 360. Instead of supplementing the disc with the HDD, supplement the HDD with the disc. Either require the disc to be inserted every 24 hours to verify ownership of a license, or require it at the startup of each game session, the latter of which would be a better means of minimizing piracy/excessive game sharing. Upon startup, have the console read the disc to verify the license, then let the disc drive shut down, and play the game from the HDD. Basically, you get the same affect as an online check-in, but without the risk of hurting those in rural areas where Internet connectivity might be intermittent.

The biggest problem here would be the archaic means of verification, the disc. You'd have the same problem where if you break a disc, your license is lost, and you have to re-purchase the game, which would suck. I'm not 100% sure how to minimize that problem, but I'll say that breaking a disc isn't a common occurrence in the first place (I personally can't recall a time that I broke one of my games, though I've had 2 discs broken by relatives in 7 years or so, though one was a game I hadn't played in a long time, and I'm not sure that the other was a game I had played recently, either). One option would be to allow a customer to send in a broken disc, then pay a $5-10 fee as well, in order to receive a permanent digital permission key, similar to what you'd get by buying a digital copy of a game, though that might be a logistical pain in the ****.

That's the first thing I can suggest to improve what I think is the biggest complaint so far, anyone see a problem with the suggestion I missed or have another option that might be better?
'

They don't even do that now. I think that's asking a lot. The response now is to - go buy another copy.' And always has been right?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm neutral on the 24 hour check-in, IMO. Not out of some "nothing to hide" sentiment, but due to internet availability becoming more and more saturated in developed countries. Try road tripping through the US. No really, try it. I was amazed at where I could get a *good* internet connection long before 4G went up, and it's only getting *better*.

And this isn't just a "US-thing" either. I handle lots of international roaming calls. Some of the best countries for wireless or rural internet are places like India.

There's a lot of understandable reasons people might be weirded out by always-on, but "no internet" is not much of an excuse these days. ;) May as well be saying it's unfair that the device requires electricity.

I'm a pastor in a small farm town - Mason, MI. I literally live on the 'right side' of the train tracks and I am able to get cable internet (though I had to pay for them to extend the line to my house). I have members of the church who live less than a quarter of a mile away who cannot get high speed (cabled) internet (either through cable TV or the phoneline) because the companies won't/can't go past the railroad tracks. Everyone who lives 'on the other side' cannot get high speed internet through our local ISP because of that issue. Yes, they can get satellite or use the mobile hotspot stuff through their mobile provider, but that's it. And those are pretty limited to what I have. These are families - with kids - who have XBOX 360s who won't, without some workarounds, be able to have XBOX Ones

I have family who are in the Navy who are stationed on subs and ships around the world. They have XBOX 360s (as do many of their co-workers and fellow sailors), but will not apparently not be able to use the XBOX One, because they won't be able to check-in when they're hundreds of feet under the water.

I say this all as someone who will buy a XBOX One. I'm buying into the future that Microsoft is hoping for in games. I see the potential and can't wait. I can't deny that there won't be kicking and screaming along the way from others. But, I think Microsoft is moving the video game industry further into the future...

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Conundrum:

OP wants peaceful discussion of Xbox One's features.

OP titles thread with "Problems of Xbox One."

Starting off with too much opinion, removing self from thread.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The 24-hour online check just to play a game that doesn't even have cloud component is a deal-breaker for 90% of the market. Microsoft really screwed themselves with this draconian DRM measure that nobody wanted.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I say this all as someone who will buy a XBOX One. I'm buying into the future that Microsoft is hoping for in games. I see the potential and can't wait. I can't deny that there won't be kicking and screaming along the way from others. But, I think Microsoft is moving the video game industry further into the future...

Apparently everyone having hi-speed internet at all times is a FAR away future and Sony will clean up this generation because of great offline gaming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte