MS needs an Xbox one without the Kinect.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
And then fragments the user base and torpedoes MS intentions for the future and Kinect's place in that future. It won't happen. I think there is a greater chance of MS dropping the disc drive then the Kinect.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd buy one with out Kinect no game I like. Thas coming out uses Kinect bf4,killer instinct,cod,nba14
so I would be saving 100$ towards better internet or accessories I do use

wolfgangjr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys but forcing the xb1 to come with Kinect will finally get developers to make good use of it other than weak games as on xb360s version. You separate the Kinect then you end up with crap games again.

You may not like Kinect but there are many households that make good use of it. I would love to see an avengers battle for earth 2 that uses the next Kinect. I bet the experience would be much better.

And please don't start with the loons and Kinect being a spying device. People post their lives on Facebook everyday which reveals a ton more than the Kinect.

Now. With that being said they really need to get close to the PS4 pricing to compete. Especially with the new restrictions.

My 2 pennies. No trolling please.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And then fragments the user base and torpedoes MS intentions for the future and Kinect's place in that future. It won't happen. I think there is a greater chance of MS dropping the disc drive then the Kinect.

I don't think losing the Kinect would be any greater a travesty than the RAM requirements on Windows Phone. If Microsoft is fine with cutting out half (or more) of the user base from games if their phones have 512 MB of RAM, I don't see why they are so hell-bent on pushing the Kinect. It really confuses me a little.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys but forcing the xb1 to come with Kinect will finally get developers to make good use of it other than weak games as on xb360s version. You separate the Kinect then you end up with crap games again.

You may not like Kinect but there are many households that make good use of it. I would love to see an avengers battle for earth 2 that uses the next Kinect. I bet the experience would be much better.

And please don't start with the loons and Kinect being a spying device. People post their lives on Facebook everyday which reveals a ton more than the Kinect.

Now. With that being said they really need to get close to the PS4 pricing to compete. Especially with the new restrictions.

My 2 pennies. No trolling please.

I don't buy that there wasn't enough quality games with the first Kinect for the reason that not enough people had one. I really think the issue was more the quality of the device itself, which was poor. I honestly do not know of any game with a better concept that can appeal to both children and adults well than Kinect Disneyland Adventures (beyond a Disney World-based follow-up). Dragon Ball Z was another one that could have been great for some (though I think that with having that show end 15+ years ago, the timing might not be right). There really were plenty of great CONCEPTS for the first Kinect, but there just wasn't good-enough hardware to support motion gaming, and that's why it ultimately failed, in my opinion. It couldn't handle casual games with its intense lag and tendency to lose where you were, let alone fast-paced titles that are the big-ticket franchises, such as Halo.

I would honestly rather be able to have it proven to me (and not from an on-stage presentation, but through personal experience) that this new Kinect is going to solve the input lag problems. I think it would be preferable to have a $400 model without the Kinect for that reason, some simply do not trust the Kinect yet. I would be willing to do as they did the first time, have a bundle without the Kinect, then make the standalone product $150. If it proved itself capable, I'd pay the extra $50 at a later time, but only if the technology is proven to be orders of magnitude better than before, as they claim it to be.

I'd be extremely frustrated and disappointed if I was required to shell out an extra $100 for something I am tentative on like this if I want my console, only to find out it still isn't viable for gaming because of the same problems as before. I mean, it's one thing to annoy people with this required bundling, but how bad will it be if a bunch of people are pissed off because the thing can't do what they expect it to when they bought it? I know I'd be disgusted if I learned I was being required to tack on the purchase of something that doesn't even work for me.

Now, that's not to say it WILL happen, or I EXPECT it to happen. I simply hope that if Microsoft is going to go this route, then this Kinect is top-notch and without flaws, because forcing it on those who want the console when it's sub-par is going to go over very badly.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Kinect wont cost Microsoft anything like $100. Id be surprised if it added anymore than $20 to the cost of the hardware.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Kinect wont cost Microsoft anything like $100. Id be surprised if it added anymore than $20 to the cost of the hardware.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

just buying a Kinect now costs 50, with all of the new updates in the One version it would be 100..

wolfgangjr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Keith. I understand your point but still believe that something is not forced if its part of the system. Its integrated deeply now so will have to see if It was worth the gamble.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Keith. I understand your point but still believe that something is not forced if its part of the system. Its integrated deeply now so will have to see if It was worth the gamble.

It's a little tough for me to buy into the idea of "deeply integrated" with this thing. It mostly functions EXACTLY as the first one did, taking use input for voice commands or motion controls. The only addition is that the console apparently needs the Kinect plugged in to POST. After that, there's supposedly the ability to completely power the device down. So, it's not really "deeply integrated," it just has a plug-in requirement to turn the console on, after which it can be completely ignored. To me, "deeply integrated," would be what the controller is to the console, or what both the mouse and the keyboard are to a PC. They are the primary methods of input, and not having them present makes even the most basic functions extremely cumbersome.

Mocah

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't buy that there wasn't enough quality games with the first Kinect for the reason that not enough people had one. I really think the issue was more the quality of the device itself, which was poor. I honestly do not know of any game with a better concept that can appeal to both children and adults well than Kinect Disneyland Adventures (beyond a Disney World-based follow-up). Dragon Ball Z was another one that could have been great for some (though I think that with having that show end 15+ years ago, the timing might not be right). There really were plenty of great CONCEPTS for the first Kinect, but there just wasn't good-enough hardware to support motion gaming, and that's why it ultimately failed, in my opinion. It couldn't handle casual games with its intense lag and tendency to lose where you were, let alone fast-paced titles that are the big-ticket franchises, such as Halo...

It becomes an expensive risk to R+D high-end motion games for a device that doesn't have many buyers, yes? Perhaps that's why those concepts never came to fruition. If you've watched any of the Microsoft Research videos, you'll notice that they themselves use Kinect (first gen) pretty much all the time to accomplish some impressive things. Granted, they aren't running consumer firmware, but it does show it probably had capable hardware.

Game developers aside, I do think this next generation of Kinect hardware is much improved.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
just buying a Kinect now costs 50, with all of the new updates in the One version it would be 100..

To sell as a peripheral I completely agree, it would cost $100 or so.

Selling it stand alone, would lead to the hardware costing more (because you'd sell less of them), you'd have to factor in R&D, profit for Microsoft, and at least 50% markup for the retailer.

Bundle Kinect with the console, and instantly its much cheaper, because you remove the markup, because there is already a markup of the console. Microsoft make little or no money on console sales, and lump the R&D costs in with the console. Therefore you end up with Kinect only really costing Microsoft the cost of the hardware

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
How is the new Kinect implemented in new battlfied4,
How about killer instinct,
How a bout NBA 14,
How about the new halo,
No need for Kinect these were new realeses new Xbox one releases and none of theses games not one uses Kinect so why do I need one.... I don't , dice knew us battlefield players wont need the Kinect so no implementation same for cod ,killer instinct a so on
So my question to all is if they sold the Kinect separately would they sell? I say not well

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
How a bout NBA 14,
How about the new halo,
No need for Kinect these were new realeses new Xbox one releases and none of theses games not one uses Kinect so why do I need one.... I don't , dice knew us battlefield players wont need the Kinect so no implementation same for cod ,killer instinct a so on
So my question to all is if they sold the Kinect separately would they sell? I say not well
Uh its used in Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. And you have no idea what DICE or 2K are doing either. 2K13 had Kinect integration for voice.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Imagine skyping a family member or friend and it comes up on screen, sorry your friend is unavailable because their Kinect is unplugged.
I love the idea of it always being there.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How a bout NBA 14,
How about the new halo,

1. You don't know that there is no Kinect implementation, simply because it was not demoed.
2. I could give you probably 10+ possible functions for all of those games, in which the Kinect could be used.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Imagine skyping a family member or friend and it comes up on screen, sorry your friend is unavailable because their Kinect is unplugged.
I love the idea of it always being there.

I've actually supported the idea of handling ALL chat via Skype since it was acquired. In that instance, you'd simply send a voice-only connection to the person. That, or you send video and receive audio only. I mean, are you THAT devastated when someone misses your phone call that you think it would be better if phone providers forced those you call to answer the phone every time you tried to reach them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb