Rumors Xbox one with out kinect

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention they can probably utilize the effort also on PS4 for the Eye-thing. Naturally I'm sure the developing for those two things is different and I feel Kinect might be a lot more potent, but at least I guess some basic things could easily be ported to the PS4 Eye as well so that it wouldn't be just "wasted" developed on Xbox.

That said, I'm not holding my breath for multiplats giving much Kinect support.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well technically they both share some common aspects - the Kinect and the Eye both track the joypad positions. Maybe implementing some tilt to steer or tilt to lean?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason why multiplats cant have some sort of Kinect integration via an update after launch. Devs might not add much but there is no reason they cant add to the experience. Titles from EA like madden and fifa are bound to use the Kinect to some degree at launch. If it sells and the feedback is good what is to stop the other big publishers having a team just to integrate some form of Kinect add on.

Skyrim already did this with voice commands, so we know it's a possibility.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Larsen-Green is busy reversing the entire Mattrick anti-consumer regime, so I guess a Kinect-less SKU is coming in time for the holidays.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS promised devs that everyone would have a Kinect.

Some devs are making games bases on that.

I doubt there will be a Kinectless SKU.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
MS promised devs that everyone would have a Kinect.

Some devs are making games bases on that.

I doubt there will be a Kinectless SKU.

Don Mattrick promised it. He's gone now and Larsen-Green is busy reversing every anti-consumer thing he came up with. Kinect-less SKU is coming within weeks, I guarantee it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Don Mattrick promised it. He's gone now and Larsen-Green is busy reversing every anti-consumer thing he came up with. Kinect-less SKU is coming within weeks, I guarantee it.

It's not anti-consumer. Geez. If you don't like a product the way it is, it doesn't make it anti-consumer. It's just not something you like.

And the "promise" was made to developer partners in order to influence them to make multi-million dollar business decisions about Kinect. It's not something that you can just remove from the package without screwing over the people you need to make games for you. It may even mean lawsuits.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Here comes smoledman with his bull**** again. You obviously don't even understand how business decisions work. You seem to think that every single decision, every single feature, every single thing about the Xbox One was put into place because of Don Mattrick. Do you really think no one else had a say in these things?

Also Don Mattrick wasn't fired, he left. That means that there's a good chance that other executives at Microsoft still completely agree with what his team came up with...

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The system wide features of Kinect alone make it worthwhile for me. The innovations to come are an added bonus. I think the ability to scan your likeness into an avatar will probably be used in a lot of games.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Also Don Mattrick wasn't fired, he left. That means that there's a good chance that other executives at Microsoft still completely agree with what his team came up with...

Do you know that for sure ? That is what they said. I would almost bet that he was forced out. No, not fired but, forced to resign I would bet. After the PR nightmare he created with the Xbox one, he might of seen the writing on the wall. Someone with his resume is in demand in a lot of companies, so they would give him a shot.

Anyway about it, Microsoft (not just Mattrick) said publicly that there will not be a Xbox one with out Kinect. You can shut it off, or even run the system with out it but, every system will have it with the system.

If devs see that it's sold as a extra, they wont make as many games for it, you saw that with Kinect 1. Microsoft has the vision that will have it with every system. If you want a Xbox one, then you get a Kinect..

I think it's a joke that people are creating this rumor, It will be interesting to see if they do but, for those tin hat people, I would not count on it...

I dont use mine much, every once and a while for a indy game or something but, I want to see it come with it, with the new tech in it, some crazy cool stuff could happen with it and I would love to see what the devs COULD do with it. If they sell a system with out it, I fear that those type of games will never come..

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you know that for sure ? That is what they said. I would almost bet that he was forced out. No, not fired but, forced to resign I would bet. After the PR nightmare he created with the Xbox one, he might of seen the writing on the wall. Someone with his resume is in demand in a lot of companies, so they would give him a shot.

Anyway about it, Microsoft (not just Mattrick) said publicly that there will not be a Xbox one with out Kinect. You can shut it off, or even run the system with out it but, every system will have it with the system.

If devs see that it's sold as a extra, they wont make as many games for it, you saw that with Kinect 1. Microsoft has the vision that will have it with every system. If you want a Xbox one, then you get a Kinect..

I think it's a joke that people are creating this rumor, It will be interesting to see if they do but, for those tin hat people, I would not count on it...

I dont use mine much, every once and a while for a indy game or something but, I want to see it come with it, with the new tech in it, some crazy cool stuff could happen with it and I would love to see what the devs COULD do with it. If they sell a system with out it, I fear that those type of games will never come..

Don Mattrick said it himself. He wanted more power in the company, and the upcoming restructure was going to actually give him a lesser role. So he went to Zynga where he could have more power and control. Its makes perfect sense.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
At least to me it seems kind of weird to force kinect just for the games. I have always thought that there would be some general UI navigation concepts or similar why they would force kinect . Gives them future moving space with everybody having a kinect.
If there is no master plan and its just kinect games MS is pushing here, I would expect to see kinect free Xbox One package for 100 euros/dollars less next year to compete against PS4.

I really could have not cared less about kinect on last gen, but I'm interested on what they come up on the system level for kinect with that new improved hardware that on demos looked really good.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
At least to me it seems kind of weird to force kinect just for the games. I have always thought that there would be some general UI navigation concepts or similar why they would force kinect . Gives them future moving space with everybody having a kinect.
If there is no master plan and its just kinect games MS is pushing here, I would expect to see kinect free Xbox One package for 100 euros/dollars less next year to compete against PS4.

I really could have not cared less about kinect on last gen, but I'm interested on what they come up on the system level for kinect with that new improved hardware that on demos looked really good.

You can navigate the entire system with Kinect gestures. You can navigate the entire system with voice commands. What else are you looking for? haha

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It might end up being that the option comes as a separate SKU next year. They use the release to prop up the in-house Kinect numbers, then offer a lower-cost alternative once developers have seen a decent user base for the peripheral through sales over the first 6 or 12 months. To put it bluntly, there is likely a good number of people who would purchase the console if it was dropped $100 via Kinect removal. I think that Microsoft will see that at some point. They'll either dump the Kinect-for-all setup and have a $400 option sans-Kinect or they'll drop the bundle price to $400 to match the PS4.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think they should build the market and try to get cable box control (not just overlay)for the ONE and THEN launch ^that

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It might end up being that the option comes as a separate SKU next year. They use the release to prop up the in-house Kinect numbers, then offer a lower-cost alternative once developers have seen a decent user base for the peripheral through sales over the first 6 or 12 months. To put it bluntly, there is likely a good number of people who would purchase the console if it was dropped $100 via Kinect removal. I think that Microsoft will see that at some point. They'll either dump the Kinect-for-all setup and have a $400 option sans-Kinect or they'll drop the bundle price to $400 to match the PS4.

This plan would probably work, and Microsoft would stand to recoup costs by doing this if within 6-12 months Kinect is not synonymous with Xbox One by that point. Basically they would have nothing to lose with this plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99