did microsoft let this one get away?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I remember seeing that this company developed the original Kinect (or parts of) but MS R&D has been doing the advancements since then.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
No, they only worked with that company for the first Kinect, and then developed the second, far superior Kinect entirely in-house. Apple and MS also share a cross licensing deal of patents,so it's not like MS would get sued or raked over the coals for any ip from Primesense.

However, It is hilarious watching the apple fans cream their jeans over the news, after for years saying things like Kinect and Air gestures/voice control like on the 360 and XB1 were useless, gimmicky things. Gotta love that RDF.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Just saw that article myself. I believe if MSFT had anything to worry about they would have bought that company themselves a while ago. MSFT may have even bought the original Kinect technology they provided. It doesn't say anything about that.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Just saw that article myself. I believe if MSFT had anything to worry about they would have bought that company themselves a while ago. MSFT may have even bought the original Kinect technology they provided. It doesn't say anything about that.

this is what i thought, but then i remembered the time microsoft passed on buying google.

i'm wondering not so much about whether or not apple's purchase impacts the xbox, whether or not microsoft not snapping up the company is a mistake. of course i only think that because apple decided to buy it. if lenovo had bought the company i probably wouldn't have even posted anythign about it.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
this is what i thought, but then i remembered the time microsoft passed on buying google.

i'm wondering not so much about whether or not apple's purchase impacts the xbox, whether or not microsoft not snapping up the company is a mistake. of course i only think that because apple decided to buy it. if lenovo had bought the company i probably wouldn't have even posted anythign about it.

I doubt it affects the xbox or MS in any drastic way. In this case it's more of Apple playing catchup this time, since they realize that voice recognition controls and gesture based controls are the next area to get into- an area that MS already has a healthy head start in Kinect 360 and XB1 Kinect, integrating the technology smoothly into a living entertainment product, the years of in-house research that has gone into it, and a pretty healthy developer community that has been making use of Kinect technology for real world applications (medical research, helping the disabled, 3D scanning, etc.). Whatever IP MS needed from that company to develop their tech, they more than likely already owned it before Apples acquisition.

Apple acquiring PrimeSense helps them to reduce their development time by bringing experience in house, but the still have to turn it into a usable package that people will want to buy. Apple TV, while a very nice product, has never moved out of the niche-category. If Apple is looking to design an all-in-one TV with Kinect like gesture/voice control, they may face the same problems of the new product being stuck to a niche as well, especially if priced high compared to buying a XB1+a new or existing 1080p TV, which would offer greater functionality anyways in the form of doing the exact same thing and being able to play AAA games. There are now also rumors that MS is only 6 months away from releasing an "XB1 lite" that would be a low cost, media only device (basically apple TV), but share the core functionality of XB1's OS and media services. It was supposed to come out earlier but was delayed due to the XB1 launch. XBOX One without gaming coming - Paul Thurrott - Microsoft Console - Neowin Forums

TLDR: still not really a big deal.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I came across this video showcasing some of the real world applications that Kinect is used for, just to give everyone an idea of how far ahead MS is in the market with this tech. This was only version 1 of Kinect.

Why wasn't this played on TV more? MS sucks so badly at advertising their own products :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that those aren't useful features of it to the real consumer base, so advertising that the thing you can play games on can play a violin doesn't do you much good.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that those aren't useful features of it to the real consumer base, so advertising that the thing you can play games on can play a violin doesn't do you much good.

I'm not saying advertise it during a show like family guy, but a commercial with a good message advertised to the right audience can go a long way. Having it run on something like discovery channel or a cable news, health, or science channel for instance would garner interest among the audience they're trying to reach with that ad with the possible use cases Kinect offers beyond games (uses in rehab, robotics, music productions, education tools, etc.).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)