What do you guys think of review scores?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi there!

I'm Jez and I write about Xbox for Windows Central. We've been discussing the possibility of bringing review scores back for Xbox games, and I wondered what our community thought about it.

We haven't scored games for a while, but we're wondering whether it's something you guys would like to see, if only for Xbox games.

If you like them, do you prefer them out of 10? out of 5? a percentage maybe? etc.

If you have any other feedback about the way we cover Xbox and gaming leave a reply and I'll get back to you!

Thanks for reading guys,

J

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I personally loved reading game reviews in Nintendo Power (which scored out of 10), and the score would always influence my decision to buy the game (I.e. Rayman legends). I think the score would be just as much a help as they were for me.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I personally loved reading game reviews in Nintendo Power (which scored out of 10), and the score would always influence my decision to buy the game (I.e. Rayman legends). I think the score would be just as much a help as they were for me.

I like seeing them too personally, sometimes it's good just to get a gauge of what a review is trying to say before reading the whole thing.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Not really helpful feedback

But Jez you're doing a really good job so far, any additions is welcomed by me, and keep the Xbox news and reviews coming.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I like to see numbered ratings, but very rarely do they influence my purchases. Ratings for all forms of media help find reviews that may be more critical and worth a read when they're aggregated. That's not to say all reviews offering a same particular score are alike. It's just a quicker way to at minimum find a larger list of more pros or more cons. I only wish that in school, well behind me now, more teachers offered feedback other than solely a number.

And keep up the reviews. Your take is always of interest.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Not really helpful feedback

But Jez you're doing a really good job so far, any additions is welcomed by me, and keep the Xbox news and reviews coming.

I like to see numbered ratings, but very rarely do they influence my purchases. Ratings for all forms of media help find reviews that may be more critical and worth a read when they're aggregated. That's not to say all reviews offering a same particular score are alike. It's just a quicker way to at minimum find a larger list of more pros or more cons. I only wish that in school, well behind me now, more teachers offered feedback other than solely a number.

And keep up the reviews. Your take is always of interest.

Thanks for the feedback guys, your comments are really encouraging.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I'm Jez and I write about Xbox for Windows Central. We've been discussing the possibility of bringing review scores back for Xbox games, and I wondered what our community thought about it.

We haven't scored games for a while, but we're wondering whether it's something you guys would like to see, if only for Xbox games.

If you like them, do you prefer them out of 10? out of 5? a percentage maybe? etc.

If you have any other feedback about the way we cover Xbox and gaming leave a reply and I'll get back to you!

Thanks for reading guys,

J

Definitely pro-scoring. However, going with a scale of 5 is pointless. Basically, everyone who uses a 5-point scale does half-points, in which case you're really offering 10 points, so you might as well make it 10. Of course, going the full 100% scale is always going to help to give the most accuracy of a rating, but I think that you really just end up making excuses to call something a 93% vs.a 94%, and it really doesn't end up meaning anything. So, I think 10 (WITHOUT fractional scoring) is my preferred manner.

However, whatever you do with a number, it should be IGN-style, in that you include positives and negative with that number, so if someone can't read a 10-paragraph article at the time, the main points can be absorbed quickly.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Definitely pro-scoring. However, going with a scale of 5 is pointless. Basically, everyone who uses a 5-point scale does half-points, in which case you're really offering 10 points, so you might as well make it 10. Of course, going the full 100% scale is always going to help to give the most accuracy of a rating, but I think that you really just end up making excuses to call something a 93% vs.a 94%, and it really doesn't end up meaning anything. So, I think 10 (WITHOUT fractional scoring) is my preferred manner.

However, whatever you do with a number, it should be IGN-style, in that you include positives and negative with that number, so if someone can't read a 10-paragraph article at the time, the main points can be absorbed quickly.

Aye, we need to go with a decimalised score either way to become Metacritic eligible. We'd most likely go for an out of 10 system, using the "pros and cons" we already use. Thanks for the feedback mate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss