After some time with the Xbox one.... Still prefer Digital or Phsyical games and why ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not ashamed to say, I still prefer physical but, every once in a while I will grab a digital game, so right now, NOT including FREE Xbox live games, I am about 70% phsyical vs. 30 Digital.

Why I prefer phsical games ?
1. Faster install if I had to reinstall the game.
One night we were all trying to play a older Xbox one game that we all owned but, no one had installed, it was about 40gb. I had the disc version, 2 people in my Xbox live chat had digital versions, Within 30-40 min, even with updates, I was ready to play. The others it was almost 2 hours before they could play it, one was over 3 hours. If anything this is a big step backwards in gaming.

2. If I wanted to SELL a game phsical games have value, I could do it, as Digital ones have no value (no way to trade or sell them)
3. If I wanted to let a family Member borrow a game, I just hand over the disc, same way back.
4. For you $60+ tax, you get a disc, a case with art and I like to display them and collect them.

and the BIGGEST reason.
5. A lot of people STIL today like classic games, even the reboot of the NES has sold out everywhere and before the holidays are selling 4 to 5 times the retail price.

Now when the Xbox one is over, say 20 years from now, xbox live for older console is no more. I could take a physical disc, drop it into my system and play the game. Even digtal games could be questionable at this point as it will not be able to get on to Xbox live to see if you actually own it.

Yes, I know Digital games are nice, No disc to drop in and you get Play Anywhere (very limited titles right now) but, for me, I think the advanages of having a physical one is more for your $$.

After a year plus now, how do you feel about this and WHY do you feel this way ?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I tend to go with the cheaper option which is usually physical b/c I rarely buy a game at full price. But I don't prefer physical, per se.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm a mix, but I have more physical games. I like physical because I can return a game if I don't like it or sell it to someone else when I just don't play it any more. I don't trade games in. I'd rather sell it to someone else than get ripped off by trading in. Prices on physical drops faster than digital. I have ISP data caps and large AAA titles crush those caps. I do like digital for the convenience, but I only purchase digital under special circumstances. If a game is 10GB or smaller or if it's a Games with Gold title, I'll go digital.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I've gone full digital at the moment because I travel a lot, and I need to move my content around with me, I have a console at my gf's house in Germany, I like being able to access my library at friend's houses too, which is notably harder with discs.

That said... I miss *owning* my content... I was really proud of my Xbox 360 shelf on display, my whole collection etc... it's a shame there's no digital way of showing this off.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I've gone full digital at the moment because I travel a lot, and I need to move my content around with me, I have a console at my gf's house in Germany, I like being able to access my library at friend's houses too, which is notably harder with discs.

That said... I miss *owning* my content... I was really proud of my Xbox 360 shelf on display, my whole collection etc... it's a shame there's no digital way of showing this off.

I am really mobile with the family too. Having everything digital on an external hard drive makes it so easy to game anywhere I can plug into..

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Xbox should have a skeuomorphic game library "shelf" that could be the dashboard background. Even better if you could interact with it, look at the box art, open game manuals/guides, etc.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Sure there is, Just go to the list of installed, or ready to install titles!

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I prefer digital, for both games and movies, I have started to build a good catalog. The down side,our router crapped out and we had access to nothing through the Xbox.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It just sucks that a modern game is normally between 45-60gb, even on a modest connection, these games can take 2-3 hours to download. Even the "ready to play" is worthless if you want to play multi-player, if you want to play the single player missions, you MIGHT be ok. In my experiance it's been hit or miss, got the ready to play message, game loaded but, could not start the campain or Muti-player, could check settings tho....worthless

If I could just download a game in 1 min and start playign within 5 min, sure would be fine but, Buying a game on Xbox one and playing on the day you got it, (unless you got it in the morning and started downloading right away), is very hard in most cases. Like coming home from work and ordering a digital game as soon as you got home....and you could almost forget playing tonight, unless you want to start at midnight...

A Physical game is about 45 min to install with updates in MOST cases....Day one games I have to have are always pysical for that reason alone..

Spidey1976

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Digital is nice because you don't have to put the disc in for the licensing (since I'm lazy and don't feel like switching discs all the time), but you can't sell or trade in the digital game when you don't want it anymore. For me, it's a toss up.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have always been a physical disc kind of guy but with today's technology I'm slowly shifting, not completely but a mix rather.

Like others, I like having a physical library of games, I collect them and display them in a cabinet.
On PC however, with STEAM, I have gone completely digital.

On the Xbox One, I have a preference for physical disc out of convenience, it is much faster to install the game and get the updates over downloading the whole 50gb.

If a title is Xbox Play Anywhere though I decided to go digital like in the case of Gears of War 4. It just makes more sense to pay for something that allows me to own two versions of the game (Xbox and PC)

I know where I'm buying Resident Evil 7 (Who knows it might be enabled for HoloLens)

nycholas

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I prefer to go all digital because of the license sharing trick. Me and my brother can share a single game license. Every game I buy, he automatically gets. Every game he buys, I automatically get. Best part is, we can play with each other on different consoles when only buying one game.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I prefer the physical discs, but now that I just learned about game license sharing I am starting to lean towards digital downloads.

kittananj

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I love digital one because it has some advantage compared with physical one.

My primary reason is I don't have to worry about the physical copy. I love to download it and it doesn't require to insert physical disc on my Xbox, so I have no need to carry disc along with me and it won't be lost because everything is in my Microsoft Account.

Moreover, Xbox Play Anywhere is a huge deal. Right now, I'm planning to go to Taiwan around 1 month, and I won't carry my Xbox One S along with me because my dorm won't have any TV set. However, I love Forza Horizon 3, and I want to collect all of my car in #Forzathon . So now, I'm downloading the game on my laptop, so I can play even my Xbox is not there.

Only downside is I need to download it overnight, so I can play it tomorrow, which is not a huge deal for me because I always set my Xbox as "Instant On". However, tonight (in Thailand), I need to download Forza Horizon 3 overnight on my laptop...

Last edited:

ThePyrobri

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not ashamed to say, I still prefer physical but, every once in a while I will grab a digital game, so right now, NOT including FREE Xbox live games, I am about 70% phsyical vs. 30 Digital.

Why I prefer phsical games ?
1. Faster install if I had to reinstall the game.
One night we were all trying to play a older Xbox one game that we all owned but, no one had installed, it was about 40gb. I had the disc version, 2 people in my Xbox live chat had digital versions, Within 30-40 min, even with updates, I was ready to play. The others it was almost 2 hours before they could play it, one was over 3 hours. If anything this is a big step backwards in gaming.

2. If I wanted to SELL a game phsical games have value, I could do it, as Digital ones have no value (no way to trade or sell them)
3. If I wanted to let a family Member borrow a game, I just hand over the disc, same way back.
4. For you $60+ tax, you get a disc, a case with art and I like to display them and collect them.

and the BIGGEST reason.
5. A lot of people STIL today like classic games, even the reboot of the NES has sold out everywhere and before the holidays are selling 4 to 5 times the retail price.

Now when the Xbox one is over, say 20 years from now, xbox live for older console is no more. I could take a physical disc, drop it into my system and play the game. Even digtal games could be questionable at this point as it will not be able to get on to Xbox live to see if you actually own it.

Yes, I know Digital games are nice, No disc to drop in and you get Play Anywhere (very limited titles right now) but, for me, I think the advanages of having a physical one is more for your $$.

After a year plus now, how do you feel about this and WHY do you feel this way ?

ThePyrobri

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Now if only everyone hadn't moaned so much at MS when the xbox one first came out. They were going to allow the game to be installed from the physical disk and then play without it. Plus they were going to allow sharing with friends and family. But "oh no, how dare they expect me to be online, its an outrage" so now here we are, moaners and whingers ruined that vision before it ever had a chance..!

ThePyrobri

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I bought Deus Ex Human Revolution on digital, played it for 2 hours and hated it. Never played it again. Now if only I had bought it on disk I could have got some money back but now it was just a complete waste of cash. Wish I had stayed physical..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss