Voice control for Xbox One S - Kinect or (Amazon Alexa + Harmony hub)?

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just bought an Alexa.

Setup is:

TV STB (FiOS) -> Xbox One -> Yamaha (YSP-2700) Sound Bar <- TV (Samsung JS8500)

Would I be better served controlling everything with the kinect (not hooked up yet) or buying a harmony hub and letting Alexa handle it all?

Hopefully this is resolved by the Harman Kardon Cortana speaker next year, but I would like to make this all a bit easier, especially for when we have the in laws or someone else over babysitting the little dude.

Thoughts?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I think Kinect might be your best bet here. I'm not sure how Alexa would augment the experience, does it have an IR blaster? I'm not super familiar with them, but I do know Kinect will be able to control all of that, whether you use the Xbox legacy controls or Cortana.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I think Kinect might be your best bet here. I'm not sure how Alexa would augment the experience, does it have an IR blaster? I'm not super familiar with them, but I do know Kinect will be able to control all of that, whether you use the Xbox legacy controls or Cortana.
the harmony hub has IR blaster.

I think you are right though. May just hook up kinect and go from there for now. Especially with the outlook of some cortana hub like devices slated for 2017.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon