Project Scorpio and you - Who's Interested?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So Microsoft announced that in Holiday 2017 they are coming out with a new console called 'Project Scorpio'. Who's interested, what price would you be willing to pay and do you think it will play 4K 60?

Sound off below!

athomas917

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Is this a totally new console that happens to be 100% X1 BC? Is this just a souped u p X1 that adds 4k support? Are game developers going to make Scorpio only titles and port inferior versions to the X1?

This is all important to know. A lot of people invested heavily in their X1 and don't need to be screwed out of their investment after only 2-3 years. Remember the whole Sega Genesis 32x-Saturn fiasco?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Is this a totally new console that happens to be 100% X1 BC? Is this just a souped u p X1 that adds 4k support?
Both is really the answer.
Are game developers going to make Scorpio only titles and port inferior versions to the X1?

I'm not sure "port" is the right word. My thoughts is everything will be BC with the current XB1 until around Q1 2019. Unless there are VR exclusive titles. Thoes I assume will not run on current X1 or even the X1S.

DX12 is designed around making games that run on a lot of different hardware easily.

I obviously know nothing, just educated guesses. Personally I'm interested, and can't wait until we get some concrete info.

athomas917

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I know "port" is a poor description. I'm guessing things will be like it is with the PC market. PC doom 4 will run on 4 year old hardware but will really struggle with performance compared to a brand new gaming PC. I'm wondering if this is what is going to happen with Scorpio optimized titles.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Is this a totally new console that happens to be 100% X1 BC? Is this just a souped u p X1 that adds 4k support? Are game developers going to make Scorpio only titles and port inferior versions to the X1?

This is all important to know. A lot of people invested heavily in their X1 and don't need to be screwed out of their investment after only 2-3 years.

This is the 1.2 million dollar question. If they play like the PC model, you can take any game on designed for 4K and drop it down to 1080p or even 720p and it will run fine(with high detail) as long as you have supported hardware. I assume this is the model they are going for, as they keep similar hardware (CPU brand, video card OEM, etc).

I am a big PC and console gamer been playing for well over 20 years now on both types. Know hardware very well.

Another side to it is, how about the media ? If the new drives are using 4K UHD drives, with UHD disk there is a new 66GB (dual layer) and 100GB (triple layer) disc, Standard Blu-ray (xbox one/ps4), use 26gb (dual layer) and wont be able to read UHD discs. If they use a UHD disk, then you can forget about the first gen Xbox one, but the new "S" would play them back.

Just think about trying to download a 66 or 100gb game from Xbox live, OMG! Forget digital 4k games, my ISP would cancel my service by downloading 2-3 games a month.

The make or break on this *NEW* system is backwards compatibility. As long as every disk for the Scorpio will play back on the first gen Xbox one (although lower res, it should look really good anyway about it), then there is no reason why this system WONT be good and be accepted by gamers.

Remember the whole Sega Genesis 32x-Saturn fiasco?

Do you remember the video game CRASH of 1983 ? Same thing, New consoles came out all the time. You would get a console for XMAS and by next summer there was a new console that was not compatible with the old one. It was a mess and it really did suck for a gamer (I was a teen back then and heavy gamer, as I am today)

For the record, I am pretty sure I will upgrade to a "S" (UHD Blu-ray player for $299, I am all over it) but, Scorpio, I will hold tight to see how it plays out, we have over a year to see what the deal is, so by next E3, we should know all the details, Specs and even costs, Then would be a good time to decide.

There is a lot of time before it's release....anything can happen in a year.

ecoastdreamer35

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I agree, however from what they are reporting it will be more like a PC than the current X1. But I'm not to sure if want to shell out that kind of money to play a game when my X1 is working just fine. I'm sure its the future of gaming however I'm fine with living in the past.

TheZeeMan

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Actually,I don't think MS is following their "abandonment" methods anymore, think they learned the hard way from the past (zune, surface rt, windows mobile (6.0), etc...) - anyhow, for those that don't know, the 360 was 10 years old...and with the last batch of games that were released, devs were still able to increase performance in their games on hardware 10 years old. Hypothetically speaking, if scorpio has some crazy specs, like the latest processors, some hefty memory and storage, all while making it upgradeable (it is possible to put USB/HDMI ports/Bluetooth/wifi on a card that basically anyone could slide it in and out to "upgrade" it without opening the console), Scorpio could technically be the last console made for a very long time.

Now add in the VM aspects of how the current x1 runs, instead of 3 OS's, it would have 5. One for scorpio games, one for x1 games, one for 360 games, then the core OS layer and the swap layer (which makes switching between apps/games fast). Maybe even to win in over PC gamers completely, throw in the option to run full blown windows to play steam games. Sound crazy, not really...a normal enterprise server in a business is capable of running tens to hundreds of VMs depending on what they are doing.

What it will come down to is price, but what MS will do is try to hike it up in the beginning, as they did with the x1, although they will have justification this time around if they are smart. If they can offer the scorpio for around $750-$1000 they can market it as a high end PC. Custom PC gamers that build their own systems know they will not be able to build anything even comparable for that price. Some graphic cards alone cost $500...

Anyhow, after this console, the only consoles that will be available are "media consoles" - right now, internet streaming of games is too pricey for some countries, 10-20 years from now, it won't be and we will only be able to stream digital games...I think Sony is seriously just releasing a console so MS isn't a monopoly in the console scene, they can barely get PS3 games to work as it is (PS Now sucks)...anyhow, that's my opinion on it....

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think DavidinCT is correct in that the games will scale between the Xbox One and Project Scorpio... That's the way I read it. So, once project Scorpio is out, if you don't have a 4K TV (and don't plan to buy one soon) you would be fine buying a Xbox One (or One S if the vanilla One is no longer being made) Also, it almost sounds like once you buy the Scorpio, you might be able to upgrade the video card at a future date (just my take, so don't get on me if this isn't the case)

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I think I'll be waiting for Scorpio as well even though I would have liked it before late 2017. By then, hopefully UWP will have matured and we'll have tons of cool and full-featured apps available.

I also wish if Dish Network went into agreement with Microsoft to just use the Scorpio or any XBox to be the main receiver for satellite television. This is most likely a pipe dream.

Dan Thorp-Lancaster

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I've never been a "Day One" guy with consoles (side effect of being a PC gamer for so many years, I guess), but I'm honestly thinking of springing for Scorpio right away. Of course, that all depends on what else we learn between now and then — particularly when it comes to price (hopefully no more than $400).

In the meantime, the One S is gonna keep my 4K setup occupied nicely.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think DavidinCT is correct in that the games will scale between the Xbox One and Project Scorpio... That's the way I read it. So, once project Scorpio is out, if you don't have a 4K TV (and don't plan to buy one soon) you would be fine buying a Xbox One (or One S if the vanilla One is no longer being made) Also, it almost sounds like once you buy the Scorpio, you might be able to upgrade the video card at a future date (just my take, so don't get on me if this isn't the case)

Just remember, Xbox stands for DirectX-box (what it was called internally at Microsoft), so the system is based on DirectX. If your a PC gamer, this is great tech. It's easy to scale games down with getting minimum loss in quality. This is how the 360 and the Xbox one works, they are based on DirectX.

Scorpio will support DirectX and with that, as long as games are on readable discs (as I said above if they do not use UHD discs for games), the Xbox one should be able to play them back and they will scale down to 1080p with out a problem, as that is one of the big advantages of DirectX

Price point is going to be a big one here. $399-499, it will work, $750-1000 it will only be a something for the wealthy. No parent is going to buy their child (unless very wealthy), a $1000 video game console. And that is a very large % of sales for the Xbox one/s/360...

$500 it might be day one buy for me, $750-1000, I will hold back and watch titles. If they can all play on my Xbox one and look good, I would need to see some major advantage to the Scorpio console to be a worthy upgrade...

I think I'll be waiting for Scorpio as well even though I would have liked it before late 2017. By then, hopefully UWP will have matured and we'll have tons of cool and full-featured apps available.

The big problem now is the tech. If you try to go on a PC to do full 4K with AAA games, you might as well plan to spend 3-4K on a PC. 2-3 top end video cards and best CPU you could buy.

If they released something today, it would be well over $1500... Do you think a lot of people would jump at that ?

I think part of the wait is for the cost of the GPU to lower, and in about 6-8 months we should see that with next years cards/GPU chipsets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)