Xbox One S - Futureproof?

AkkiCool

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys,

What do you think about the lifecycle of Xbox One S? In your opinion guys, how much further in the future would it be able to handle next-gen games?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
A few years at least. Future proof, not really. When people got the first 360, the questions were the same. It lasted something like 7-8 years before it really started fading away. A year or 2 from now, the 360 will start fading away and it will be done.

The Market changes so much now days, now everyone is talking about 4K gaming, The Xbox One S cant really handle TRUE 4K gaming so as we all know a NEW console is coming out next year.

If 4K is not important to you, the standard VCR looking Xbox one would do fine for 99% of the people out there.

Getting 7-8 years out of the Xbox one/S like the 360 might not happen here.

AkkiCool

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I ordered one for myself and wanted to know for how long would I be able to run the latest games

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I ordered an Xbox One S and took advantage of the black Friday deal for $249.

This was against my gamer friends suggestion to just wait for the Xbox Scorpio.

Why did I get an Xbox One S?
1. If Phil Spencer's communication is correct, MS does not plan to phase out the Xbox One S when Xbox Scorpio arrives. It will supposedly be available alongside each other. Just like iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S.
2. I probably wouldn't want to spend so much for the Xbox Scorpio.
3. Games will scale between Xbox Scorpio and Xbox One S, so I do not think Xbox One gamers will miss out on games, this is in line with the Play Anywhere initiative where you can buy one game and play it on any device. (unless, MS backtracks and releases Scorpio exclusive games)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The One S has some advantages over the current standard One, namely HDR and 4K Blu-Ray playback. The alone may not be enough to make people that already have a standard One upgrade to the the S, but if I was in the market for a console right now, I wouldn't hesitate to get the S, it has enough over the standard One that would make me get it. The up-scaling to 4k is a nice touch but as mentioned isn't true 4k gaming as such, but it won't look any worse, and with HDR thrown in too, the potential is there for things to look quite a bit better even on this current gen console. Of course things will be even better on the Scorpio, but that's a year down the line, they'll be plenty of people willing to snap up an S when you want to upgrade to a Scorpio. You have to bite the bullet sometime, or you'll never buy anything if you're always waiting for the next one that is a bit better. FYI the new PS4 cannot playback UHD Blu-ray's nor can it do 4k gaming despite what Sony would have you believe. It's a numbers thing, and the new PS4 Pro just doesn't have the hardware to do proper 4k gaming, but until Scorpio neither does the Xbox One...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The One S has some advantages over the current standard One, namely HDR and 4K Blu-Ray playback. The alone may not be enough to make people that already have a standard One upgrade to the the S, but if I was in the market for a console right now, I wouldn't hesitate to get the S, it has enough over the standard One that would make me get it. The up-scaling to 4k is a nice touch but as mentioned isn't true 4k gaming as such, but it won't look any worse, and with HDR thrown in too, the potential is there for things to look quite a bit better even on this current gen console. Of course things will be even better on the Scorpio, but that's a year down the line, they'll be plenty of people willing to snap up an S when you want to upgrade to a Scorpio. You have to bite the bullet sometime, or you'll never buy anything if you're always waiting for the next one that is a bit better. FYI the new PS4 cannot playback UHD Blu-ray's nor can it do 4k gaming despite what Sony would have you believe. It's a numbers thing, and the new PS4 Pro just doesn't have the hardware to do proper 4k gaming, but until Scorpio neither does the Xbox One...

Well, the Xbox one S cant play 4K games. Getting TRUE 4K vs HDR color is 2 different things. All Xbox One /S games are at 1080p, that is upscaled to 4K.

Think about this. Even if you fed your NINTENDO NES (the original 1985 version) to your 4K tv, if it's playing full screen, then it's scaling it up to 4K. If not, you would end up with this tiny box in the middle of the screen (the NES was 256X240). The Xbox One runs at 1080p but, you get a full screen image, that means it scaled it up.

The MAIN advantage of the Xbox ONE S is 4K / HDR with the 4K Blu-ray player. The other features MIGHT be good for other people, The controllers have a better range than the original Xbox One (double range according to Microsoft) and a smaller foot print. If those are not a big deal to you, you can save some money and go with the older model. The menu system on the "S" seems a little faster but, that will make -0- effect on GAMES.

Scorpio is a big question mark right now. Microsoft is HOPING that GPU costs go down, or a better chipset hits to do TRUE 4K gaming. There is also the cost factor. To do true 4K gaming on a PC, you need 2 $400-600 video cards, never mind the hardware for the PC itself. Now try to put that in a console that market pricing says it's got to sell for $500 or under... I would not be shocked if it does not come out Holiday 2017, maybe even delayed till Mid 2018...

If Scorpio hits the market with a $1200-1500 price point(where if they try to make it in the next 6 months), it will never sell. Most places wont even carry it (special order item). And how many do you think Parents will by for their kids ? How about adults ? Less people buy it, less games are made for it (as they will target older systems as more users) and it will fail...

Time will tell on Scorpio...a lot of time...

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's only future proofed until games are no longer developed for it, which will be some years yet. No such thing as a completely future proofed games console, they'll always be something better around the corner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb