Should I buy xbox one S?

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
The reason why I'm hesitating before buying an Xbox One S is that I've heard that the Xbox One S requires certain large sized updates every now and then. And that the games will not play unless it's updated with the latest updates. Is this true?
How big are the updates? How often do i have to update?
I've also heard that even if you buy the game from a retail store in the form of a Bluray Disc and not digitally, then you have to download some data from the store before you can actually play the game. What about this? How big are the downloads? Please help.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The reason why I'm hesitating before buying an Xbox One S is that I've heard that the Xbox One S requires certain large sized updates every now and then. And that the games will not play unless it's updated with the latest updates. Is this true?
How big are the updates? How often do i have to update?
I've also heard that even if you buy the game from a retail store in the form of a Bluray Disc and not digitally, then you have to download some data from the store before you can actually play the game. What about this? How big are the downloads? Please help.

Ok look, the Xbox one or ps4 (any console now days) occasionally receive updates for their OS (operating system) which add features, improvements, etc. And of course that requires internet and memory space for that. All consoles now days have a hard drive where they install everything from games to OS or game patches. On the Xbox side games today also are sold digitally from the Xbox store or physical like you already know. If you buy the game physically when you first enter the disc it installs the full game on the console's hard drive and the disc must be in it to play it, otherwise its gonna ask for it to start the game. If you buy it digital obviously it installs itself on the hard drive too and you can play it like instantly. The Xbox one console have two Power modes you can select to turn it off: A full shutdown mode called energy saving where it's totally off and a instant on mode where it goes to sleep and it turns on quicker and almost all the game / updates are installed automatically. If a publisher releases a patch update for a game it'll download itself automatically while you aren't using the console, same applies to console OS updates, unless they need some sort of input by the user. Gone are the days of Xbox 360 where you had to turn on the console to update and stay a game to be surprised with an update patch. In my case I've never had to deal with any updates at all except for a game called warframe which requires user input to continue. Other than that, if you put the power mode on instant on, you have to deal with any updates and stuff.

Now about game formats. Me personally choose on this console digitally and haven't bought a game disc. Only one I have is mortal combat X because it came with the console. I like the convenience that you can start the game without getting out of the couch to switch discs {your laziness mileage may vary ;) }And if it's going to occupy the same hard drive space still well, better digitally. Only con is that usually you get the discs cheaper on eBay or Amazon, but can also get cheap digital games. As far as I know, the ps4 play games from disc, installing textures and stuff is optional, or you can buy then digital too. Dunno about updates since I don't own one.

If you're worried about hard drive space, aside from the one included inside the Xbox (which you can't upgrade officially) you can use any usb 3.0 hard drive larger than 256GB as a external memory. My recommendation would be to buy the one with the biggest hard drive from the beginning if you can ($$$). Right now options are 500GB, 1TB and 2 TB. Unless the deal is So awesome for a 500GB one or something like that, I would go with the 2TB one. Enjoy!!

Aaaaand to answer your question, OS patches and game patches vary from size, a game patch can be 700mb download or 7GB download, depending on the content included, same applies for os updates, which usually don't are more than 800mb as a maximum
Sent from mTalk

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok look, the Xbox one or ps4 (any console now days) occasionally receive updates for their OS (operating system) which add features, improvements, etc. And of course that requires internet and memory space for that. All consoles now days have a hard drive where they install everything from games to OS or game patches. On the Xbox side games today also are sold digitally from the Xbox store or physical like you already know. If you buy the game physically when you first enter the disc it installs the full game on the console's hard drive and the disc must be in it to play it, otherwise its gonna ask for it to start the game. If you buy it digital obviously it installs itself on the hard drive too and you can play it like instantly. The Xbox one console have two Power modes you can select to turn it off: A full shutdown mode called energy saving where it's totally off and a instant on mode where it goes to sleep and it turns on quicker and almost all the game / updates are installed automatically. If a publisher releases a patch update for a game it'll download itself automatically while you aren't using the console, same applies to console OS updates, unless they need some sort of input by the user. Gone are the days of Xbox 360 where you had to turn on the console to update and stay a game to be surprised with an update patch. In my case I've never had to deal with any updates at all except for a game called warframe which requires user input to continue. Other than that, if you put the power mode on instant on, you have to deal with any updates and stuff.

Now about game formats. Me personally choose on this console digitally and haven't bought a game disc. Only one I have is mortal combat X because it came with the console. I like the convenience that you can start the game without getting out of the couch to switch discs {your laziness mileage may vary ;) }And if it's going to occupy the same hard drive space still well, better digitally. Only con is that usually you get the discs cheaper on eBay or Amazon, but can also get cheap digital games. As far as I know, the ps4 play games from disc, installing textures and stuff is optional, or you can buy then digital too. Dunno about updates since I don't own one.

If you're worried about hard drive space, aside from the one included inside the Xbox (which you can't upgrade officially) you can use any usb 3.0 hard drive larger than 256GB as a external memory. My recommendation would be to buy the one with the biggest hard drive from the beginning if you can ($$$). Right now options are 500GB, 1TB and 2 TB. Unless the deal is So awesome for a 500GB one or something like that, I would go with the 2TB one. Enjoy!!

Aaaaand to answer your question, OS patches and game patches vary from size, a game patch can be 700mb download or 7GB download, depending on the content included, same applies for os updates, which usually don't are more than 800mb as a maximum
Sent from mTalk

Thanks man.
I have no plans on buying digital games. And also no problem with the storage.(I'm not a hardcore game).
The real and probably only problem is with my internet connection. I don't get good down speed and i don't have a lot of GBs to spare.
How often are the OS updates? And are these necessary to download and install before i have to play a game?
Also, if i buy the Xbox one S "Fifa 17" bundle, will i have to update/download data the game when i will install it the first time? How often are these updates, keeping "Fifa 17" in mind(I'm thinking about playing it for long) And are these game updates also necessary to play the game?
Thank you for the help. :)

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Console updates aren't that frequent. I think only one or two major ones per year, and maybe a minor patch every couple of months. Mine updates automatically so I don't usually even notice the small ones.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man.
I have no plans on buying digital games. And also no problem with the storage.(I'm not a hardcore game).
The real and probably only problem is with my internet connection. I don't get good down speed and i don't have a lot of GBs to spare.
How often are the OS updates? And are these necessary to download and install before i have to play a game?
Also, if i buy the Xbox one S "Fifa 17" bundle, will i have to update/download data the game when i will install it the first time? How often are these updates, keeping "Fifa 17" in mind(I'm thinking about playing it for long) And are these game updates also necessary to play the game?
Thank you for the help. :)

I don't really know for sure because on mine everything is on automatic. But yeah, I imagine that the game updates are mandatory, at least if you wanna play multiplayer, since they patch bugs and problems. I haven't really tried playing a non updated game. I think os updates are mandatory, they're not that often, last one was December 26, something like that, so far no update. Os updates are not that often unless you're on the insider program, usually one per month as much, game updates are not exactly that frequent either, although you gotta keep in mind the kind of game it is, or depending of the developer, i have games that haven't been updates for almost a year. Usually AAA games get updates, optimizations and content so, it really depends. As stated before, update size varies with game, and also it varies even on the same game, depending what the devd want to fix / patch. Initial game download is the biggest, I think the fifa bundle you want includes a game download code, not a physical disc, and according to what I see on the store, it's size is 42.2GB

Sent from mTalk

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Your ISP download speed probably isn't going to be the limiting factor. I have 90 mbps download and it can still take a long time to download a game. Much longer than it would take to download a similar sized file on my PC. I think the bottleneck is at the other end.

Now if you have a data cap, that's a different story.

If you want play a game without patching it first, your console must be offline. If it knows that a patch is available, it won't launch without installing the patch first.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If you don't plan on buying digital well, when you buy a disc the game will install itself on the hard drive and occupy exactly the same as the same game downloaded. It's installed from the disc, not internet. If that game has an update, it'll download automatically when you're not using the console, if for example the game installed and you start it as soon as it finished installing and it was an update it'll ask you to update the game

Sent from mTalk

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Your ISP download speed probably isn't going to be the limiting factor. I have 90 mbps download and it can still take a long time to download a game. Much longer than it would take to download a similar sized file on my PC. I think the bottleneck is at the other end.

Yeah, it really depends, however I think he's talking about a capped plan too. So depending on his capacity, he can exceed that quantity.

Sent from mTalk

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Games can range in size. Some are as small as a couple GB's all the way up to 60-70GB's. For physical games, you should go into offline mode before installing a game otherwise it will connect to the servers and download the latest game data rather than installing from the disc. Once a game is installed from a disc you can go back online and you may still need to download an update. If it was a digital game, it should be the latest and greatest update. Updates can range in size as games do. Some updates are as small as a few hundred MBs and some can be quite large, 10-15GBs or larger, depending on the game. Most I've experienced are less than 10GB. You can play some games without updating them, however, any online aspects of the game will be disabled. Note that any game that REQUIRES an online connection just to play will need to be updated. Game updates can be kind of random. They happen when new content is added to a game or bugs are patched. System updates are fairly scheduled and only happen a few times a year. Windows Central does a pretty good job of informing people when these system updates are released to the public. They usually aren't bigger than a few GB's. System and game/app updates can be set to download automatically or you can turn this feature off. I personally turn it off due to ISP data caps and only update games as I play them. This just means my system or game isn't always ready for me whenever I turn it on, but it's something I can live with based on my ISP limitations. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I don't believe system updates are required to go online or to play games online. I have 100Mbps service and I rarely see downloads from Xbox servers exceed 60Mbps.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the world of modern gaming. Regardless of which platform Xbox One, PS4 and PC, 50 gb is already the norm.

This is a frustration of mine, living in a third world country like the Philippines with a 3mbps broadband connection is a challenge.

These games sizes are a pain. It varies per title.

I just got my Xbox One a few days ago and also got a handful of games. When you insert the disc the console will prompt you to install the game first, after that has been completed it will then prompt you to update it.

Here's a sample for your reference.

Sunset Overdrive - Install Size (20gb) - Update Size (3.5gb)
Disney Infinity 3.0 - Install Size (25gb) - Update Size (3gb)
Metal Gear Solid V - Install Size (26.5gb) - Update Size (6gb)
Grand Theft Auto V - Install Size (40gb) - Update Size (10gb)

GTAV was the biggest offender. Anyway I was able to complete the updates in about two days lol

Make sure in Settings, you go to the "Power Options" and make sure that "Power Saver" is unchecked and "instant on" is checked.
This will allow your Xbox One to download updates in the background even though the main unit is turned off (Make sure it's plugged into the power outlet though)

So while I was asleep and at work, it downloaded without me having to leave the console on.

Hope this helps

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Games can range in size. Some are as small as a couple GB's all the way up to 60-70GB's. For physical games, you should go into offline mode before installing a game otherwise it will connect to the servers and download the latest game data rather than installing from the disc. Once a game is installed from a disc you can go back online and you may still need to download an update. If it was a digital game, it should be the latest and greatest update. Updates can range in size as games do. Some updates are as small as a few hundred MBs and some can be quite large, 10-15GBs or larger, depending on the game. Most I've experienced are less than 10GB. You can play some games without updating them, however, any online aspects of the game will be disabled. Note that any game that REQUIRES an online connection just to play will need to be updated. Game updates can be kind of random. They happen when new content is added to a game or bugs are patched. System updates are fairly scheduled and only happen a few times a year. Windows Central does a pretty good job of informing people when these system updates are released to the public. They usually aren't bigger than a few GB's. System and game/app updates can be set to download automatically or you can turn this feature off. I personally turn it off due to ISP data caps and only update games as I play them. This just means my system or game isn't always ready for me whenever I turn it on, but it's something I can live with based on my ISP limitations. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I don't believe system updates are required to go online or to play games online. I have 100Mbps service and I rarely see downloads from Xbox servers exceed 60Mbps.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. :)

Welcome to the world of modern gaming. Regardless of which platform Xbox One, PS4 and PC, 50 gb is already the norm.

This is a frustration of mine, living in a third world country like the Philippines with a 3mbps broadband connection is a challenge.

These games sizes are a pain. It varies per title.

I just got my Xbox One a few days ago and also got a handful of games. When you insert the disc the console will prompt you to install the game first, after that has been completed it will then prompt you to update it.

Here's a sample for your reference.

Sunset Overdrive - Install Size (20gb) - Update Size (3.5gb)
Disney Infinity 3.0 - Install Size (25gb) - Update Size (3gb)
Metal Gear Solid V - Install Size (26.5gb) - Update Size (6gb)
Grand Theft Auto V - Install Size (40gb) - Update Size (10gb)

GTAV was the biggest offender. Anyway I was able to complete the updates in about two days lol

Make sure in Settings, you go to the "Power Options" and make sure that "Power Saver" is unchecked and "instant on" is checked.
This will allow your Xbox One to download updates in the background even though the main unit is turned off (Make sure it's plugged into the power outlet though)

So while I was asleep and at work, it downloaded without me having to leave the console on.

Hope this helps

Thanks a bunch. Now i know what to expect when i buy a xbox one s.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks a bunch. Now i know what to expect when i buy a xbox one s.

Yea, it's the same if you have a Xbox One, Xbox One S Or a PS4...

If you have internet caps, save your self the bandwidth and get Physical games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte