Email, XBOX Live, and what I have learned

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I missed it when I first turned on my phone you know where it says to sign in using your XBOX account when you set up your default Windows Live account. I realized later that I had also been given a bogus gamer tag. That is where the problems began I wanted my gamer tag "TEXASERIALKILER" on my Live mail account but I couldn?t figure it out. In the end I gave up.

When I first opened the market on my Arrive I had my live mail account as my default so when I tried to install a program (Not a Game) it logged me in to XBOX live asked me my age then proceeded to give me a bogus gamer tag to use to download. I don?t like that it was confusing to me I think it should ask you what gamer tag you want check availability and so on, that way I would have gotten that I don?t have my gamer tag and live mail linked but it didn?t it just tossed me a randomly generated Gamer Tag. I called XBOX customer service to see what could be done they told me I had to get rid of the bogus gamer tag then move TEXASERIALKILER to my live mail. Easy enough I made a bogus email account logged my live mail and bogus tag to my XBOX via recover gamer tag then went to account manager moved the bogus tag to the bogus email. Done now to move TEXASERIALKILER gamer tag to my Live Mail but wait I get an error...?! Call XBOX CS again they can?t help me guy tells me call back in 48 hours it will take that long for the servers to catch up. But you know me I think he is a moron and I can fix it so I keep trying... did you know that without a gamer tag you can?t download anything to your WP7 phone... I made a couple of other changes to no avail keep getting the same numeric code message saying cant retrieve information... or something like that. 24 hours after this began keep in mind I can?t download any programs to my phone I try again this time the message has changed it now says... "You can only make changes to your XBOX live account once every 30 days... What?!

The solution I wound up with...Did you know you cant change your default live account on you WP7 phone without a factory reset?..... reset/wipe my phone and change the default account to the email that had my TEXASERIALKILER gamer tag. Then sign in to my live account using outlook to sync all my email, contacts, and calendar.

Sorry for the long post I'm just hoping this helps others not make my mistake.

Later,
Dave

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So the phone actually generated a gamertag for you since your account didn't have one? Interesting. Was there any way for you to specify a name or it just assigned something?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
It just assigned something then told me I could log in to the website and change it but I couldn't pick anything or change it from the phone. That's what confused me about the whole deal.

kradatz

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
yea Big D 5 I did the exact same thing. Today when I set up my email on the htc arrive, i used my windows live i.d. that I recieve emails with, but this live i.d. isn't associated with my primary gamertag. So now my xbox live app is stuck with some pointless gamertag that windows live generated for me. Can you help me figure this out. I wish the app would just let me log out and log into a different email and password. Thanks

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
yea Big D 5 I did the exact same thing. Today when I set up my email on the htc arrive, i used my windows live i.d. that I recieve emails with, but this live i.d. isn't associated with my primary gamertag. So now my xbox live app is stuck with some pointless gamertag that windows live generated for me. Can you help me figure this out. I wish the app would just let me log out and log into a different email and password. Thanks

There could be a more complex intricate way, but if it was me, (especially since you just got your device) just do a hard reset and start over.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

You can try to port your gamer tag to the other email if you want but get it rite the first time if you mess up it will cost you 30 days before you can try again. To change email addresses it has to be done from your XBOX 360 go to settings account manager and follow the instructions. The easiest way is to do what BurnEthanol said and reset your phone and put your Gamer Tag email addy as the primary email

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had to do this with my partner's phone, gave her a bogus gamertag, so factory reset it and started again. I feel your pain Big D!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)