Xbox Music and Match

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just opened up Xbox Music on my laptop and it imported all of my music. Then when I opened up Xbox Music on my Surface RT, I noticed most of my music from my laptop started showing up in there with a symbol like this next to it ((.)) The same songs on my laptop have a cloud icon next to them.

When I go to the properties of the song on my Surface RT, it says this under Cloud status "Streaming only (download here to listen offline)". When it says, "down download here to listen offline", does that really mean that I have to purchase it again from my Surface RT to have it available offline?

I know I can just copy my music over, so this isn't really a big deal. I'm just wondering how it's supposed to work.

Thanks!

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The way I've heard it works; you don't have to pay for it again. You just have to download YOUR music through XBox music. I assume it has something to do with Zune compatibility issues or some sort of licensing issue, but I don't know for sure as I'm still trying to figure it out too. There are a few other threads addressing some of these issues. You shouldn't have to pay for it again in any case.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The matched songs become available to stream anywhere you log in to your account. You have to transfer them if you want them local rather than streaming. It's just a nice benefit for anyone who doesn't have a pass.
If you have an XBox music pass it's completely worthless though. I don't know which of those scenarios applies to you.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The matched songs become available to stream anywhere you log in to your account. You have to transfer them if you want them local rather than streaming. It's just a nice benefit for anyone who doesn't have a pass.
If you have an XBox music pass it's completely worthless though. I don't know which of those scenarios applies to you.
Too bad it doesn't offer the option to be able to selectively download the songs to your device. When I get my Lumia 920, I won't want to copy my whole collection onto it, but I'm sure that I will sometimes want to download a few songs while on the road. I guess it's better to have streaming access than to have no access to them at all.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Again, it does have that option.

My guess though is that you're not paying for Xbox Music Pass. Of course you can't download the music if you're trying to use an advertising-based service like the free content you get from Xbox Music.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss