My biggest issue with Xbox One

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people have been complaining about various issues with the upcoming console. One of the big complaints is the handling of used games, though it doesn't matter to me. Really, it isn't much of a difference from the PC. You can't trade or sell games that you have already redeemed the game key. Developers see the advantage in this (money wise) and obviously want to see the same situation on consoles. From a PC gamers perspective, it doesn't seem to hurt pricing much at all. You pretty much always buy games "new" (though this term doesn't mean as much anymore considering physical media vs just downloading online).

Here is the difference between this done on console vs PC: backwards compatibility isn't the norm in the console world. When I bought a game from Steam 10 years ago or so, it played on my computer. When I turn on my brand new gaming desktop, I can download and play that exact same game. Assuming Steam is around 10 years from now, I will be able to do the same. With consoles, the saving grace was that you could always sell your game and make some of the money back. Now, there is a high chance you won't be able to play games for Xbox One on the next console after or be able to sell the game. This is why I don't like when people compare the Xbox On situation with PC's gaming situation. In my eyes, that is a big difference.

Now, if Microsoft could somehow guarantee they won't change cpu architecture and say games will be backwards compatible with their future consoles, I wouldn't have near as much issue.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When I bought a game from Steam 10 years ago or so, it played on my computer. When I turn on my brand new gaming desktop, I can download and play that exact same game.

Are you sure?

Generally all the top end hardware these days is 64bit. Anything 10 years old is 32bit, therefore, unless the game has been ported to 64bit, then actually you've got exactly the same problem.

Now, if Microsoft could somehow guarantee they won't change cpu architecture and say games will be backwards compatible with their future consoles, I wouldn't have near as much issue.

Why? A console has to be designed to last ~10 years. The most important thing to worry about, is keeping the console relevent for that period of time. Backwards compatibility is an issue for the first 6 months, when games are few and far between.

Its a pain having 2 consoles, and not being able to trade in your old console is annoying, but thats far better than spending $500 on a console that only lasts 6 years, not 10.

neo9903

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
On Steam there are also some Windows 7 oder 8 uncompatible games (e.g Dirt or Red Faction 2). I think that schould not be the difference.

I basically like the Account binding, because I hate to swap the disks and I'm using it for a long time now ( Steam, Origin) on the PC. On Steam or Origin it is not possible to sell the game. On Xbox One the possiblility exists.

I only think the 24h Offline Mode should be extended to 1 week or so. And if you want to sell the game you schould be able to disable it from your account or wait this one week before you can sell the game.
I've also heard that people are complaining because the online connection is not possible due to blocked ports. Therefore a Simple Fallback over http for licence updating schould be implemented.

But for me personally the online connection is not a problem at all.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's not an issue at all if you think about it logically.

Trade in on a 360S with 250GB would get me ?63 today. In 5 months when the Xbox One launches I would be lucky to get ?40. 360 games at the moment will get me ?5 for Battlefield 3 and ?7 for Halo 4. In 5 months they wont be worth selling. So trading in my old console and games at the xbox one launch wouldn't even net me ?100.

You also wont get any money for all the games you've got downloaded on your 360 hard drive - all the indie games, XBLA and direct purchases have no resale value whatsoever.

Pretty pointless selling it, which means backwards compatibility doesn't become an issue because you've still got your old console.

I've still got my original Xbox purely to play on Steel Battalion - I paid ?120 for that monster controller and quite possibly the best game I have ever played. I still play on it once every couple of months.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure?

Generally all the top end hardware these days is 64bit. Anything 10 years old is 32bit, therefore, unless the game has been ported to 64bit, then actually you've got exactly the same problem.

I don't think you have your information correct. Nothing needs to ported from 32 bit to 64 bit, only the opposite. Anything that is 32-bit can run on 64-bit hardware, it's just not optimized any better, but it doesn't lower the performance at all.

MC_A_DOT

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Trade in on a 360S with 250GB would get me ?63 today. In 5 months when the Xbox One launches I would be lucky to get ?40. 360 games at the moment will get me ?5 for Battlefield 3 and ?7 for Halo 4. In 5 months they wont be worth selling. So trading in my old console and games at the xbox one launch wouldn't even net me ?100.

You also wont get any money for all the games you've got downloaded on your 360 hard drive - all the indie games, XBLA and direct purchases have no resale value whatsoever.

Pretty pointless selling it, which means backwards compatibility doesn't become an issue because you've still got your old console.

I've still got my original Xbox purely to play on Steel Battalion - I paid ?120 for that monster controller and quite possibly the best game I have ever played. I still play on it once every couple of months.

Where are you getting those trade in prices from? they seem way too low.

Just wondering..

Me personally..I'm trading in everything. Once something new comes out I always move on.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Just wondering..

Me personally..I'm trading in everything. Once something new comes out I always move on.

www.cex.co.uk Although GAME also do roughly the same sort of values. Its not just the physical games though. I have lots +20 full games downloaded onto my harddrive - wont get any money for any of those as they format the drive before resale

Im keeping mine taking it apart and building it into my pc don't lose anything that way and get the best of both worlds

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Just wondering..

I would reconsider. Xbox 360 is about to get a ton of new features. I would wait to see what kind of integration it has first.

Do you sell/trade in your old PC when you get a new one? I never sell old computers unless they are worth a good amount of money still, because an old machine loaded up with new software can still be a device with a new experience. Xbox 360 is about to get new software.

MC_A_DOT

May 22, 2013
Visit site
www.cex.co.uk Although GAME also do roughly the same sort of values. Its not just the physical games though. I have lots +20 full games downloaded onto my harddrive - wont get any money for any of those as they format the drive before resale

Im keeping mine taking it apart and building it into my pc don't lose anything that way and get the best of both worlds

Wow thats a *****. I've got a limited edition XBOX with games and accessories ?100 isn't enough...I DEMAND MORE!

I would go down the same route but I don't know how to build a gaming PC and PC doesn't always get the games I want or the exclusives. Gears of war, GTA V ..etc....Battlefield 4 looks amazing on a PC though!

MC_A_DOT

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I would reconsider. Xbox 360 is about to get a ton of new features. I would wait to see what kind of integration it has first.

Do you sell/trade in your old PC when you get a new one? I never sell old computers unless they are worth a good amount of money still, because an old machine loaded up with new software can still be a device with a new experience. Xbox 360 is about to get new software.

What new features? info or link please?

I've never owned my own PC...I'm on a budget, too many bills man.

If I make a gaming PC can I just constantly upgrade it?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow thats a *****. I've got a limited edition XBOX with games and accessories ?100 isn't enough...I DEMAND MORE!

I would go down the same route but I don't know how to build a gaming PC and PC doesn't always get the games I want or the exclusives. Gears of war, GTA V ..etc....Battlefield 4 looks amazing on a PC though!

Yeah ive got the limited edition elite MW2 black with 250gb - cex will only give me ?58 for that now so that ?5 less than what I quoted.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What new features? info or link please?

I've never owned my own PC...I'm on a budget, too many bills man.

If I make a gaming PC can I just constantly upgrade it?

Just search it. All Microsoft said is that there is going to be a new major dashboard update. Microsoft said they are planning on Xbox 360 being available for at least 3 more years. They are going to update it with new features basically and sell it for a while.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

This is the same conclusion I've come to. For what I can get for my 360, I'm just going to keep it to play my old games on a spare tv, when I can't game on the main tv.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To those saying that they will just keep their 360 to play their old games, that is another thing I avoid when possible. I don't have to keep an old PC around to play my old games.

Selling your games/consoles to a company is a way to get ripped off. You will always get more money selling to people directly. Depending on the console version or game, some gain value or at least maintain over time.

Guy who asked about 32 and 64 bit, you are completely wrong. 32 bit programs run on 64bit Windows. Really, anyone with a computer today should be running the 64bit version of Windows.

To the couple that mentioned building a PC, it seems hard from a distance, but it is really pretty easy. There are plenty of good guides. It was a lot harder back in the day but compatibility standards help a lot. Also, how much you can upgrade overtime depends on the parts you buy now. Like a lot of tech, the more you spend now, the longer it will be relevant. A little to simplified but good enough for this post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs