Microsoft: Xbox One supports Miracast

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
A Miracast adapter costs $100, just saying.

A Miracast adapter has nothing to do with the integration of Microsoft's family of products lol. And by that logic, I guess that should be another reason why Xbox One is 100$ more expensive?

The main point here is that Windows 8.1 has native Miracast support. Xbox One has native Miracast support. I think that is enough to show you how their products and ecosystem are coming together.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
A Miracast adapter costs $100, just saying.

Exactly WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?

I can certainly take a guess. You are either too cheap or too broke to afford a new console. Or maybe you believe you have some type of entitlement and should get something for nothing. Or you just don't believe companies, particularily MSFT should make money for their time and investment.

WHICH IS IT?

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This is great. Just to confirm, so now we don't need HDMI to hook up PC right? you can just project and play movies through WiFI direct.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This is great. Just to confirm, so now we don't need HDMI to hook up PC right? you can just project and play movies through WiFI direct.

Yes, if your machine has Windows 8.1 and supports Wifi, then it should be able to connect wirelessly.

With the new API's in Windows 8,1 for metro apps, a metro app can now display a different user interface on projectors and second screens. So now the Netflix app, for example, can play the movie on the Xbox One screen, and on your tablet or PC it can display the movie listings/catalog and search interface, along with the playback controls.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes, if your machine has Windows 8.1 and supports Wifi, then it should be able to connect wirelessly.

It's actually not quite that simple. There's some requirements for the Windows 8.1 machine to be able to use Miracast. The biggest hurdle right now is that it needs to use WDDM 1.3 drivers, which as of right now are only available for Intel. And there's some requirements for the network drivers as well.

Windows 8.1 features Miracast wireless display tech, and it works well — Within Windows

Also, for Netflix to work, as in your example, you do need to make sure that the entire chain supports HDCP. Still, it's a vast improvement from the solution that exists now (ie- nothing).

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It's actually not quite that simple. There's some requirements for the Windows 8.1 machine to be able to use Miracast. The biggest hurdle right now is that it needs to use WDDM 1.3 drivers, which as of right now are only available for Intel. And there's some requirements for the network drivers as well.

Windows 8.1 features Miracast wireless display tech, and it works well — Within Windows

Also, for Netflix to work, as in your example, you do need to make sure that the entire chain supports HDCP. Still, it's a vast improvement from the solution that exists now (ie- nothing).

Almost every modern machine with wifi will support Wifi direct. Right now those might be the current limitations just because of the development of the technology, but by the time Windows 8.1 in RTM'ed, the consumer won't need to worry about this.

Netflix was just an example for the app functionality. :)

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

So would I be able to stream my desktop to the XBone? I'd love to use my HDTV to edit video or play movies that I have on my laptop HDD.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So would I be able to stream my desktop to the XBone? I'd love to use my HDTV to edit video or play movies that I have on my laptop HDD.

Yes you should be able to, but DLNA would be a better choice for that scenario. You would open the file in the Video app and then use the Charms bar to "Play To" the Xbox. That way you can use your laptop as a second screen, not just mirror it.

Slymayer

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes you should be able to, but DLNA would be a better choice for that scenario. You would open the file in the Video app and then use the Charms bar to "Play To" the Xbox. That way you can use your laptop as a second screen, not just mirror it.

Miracast is still the best option for that scenario. Using DLNA implies that you render your video to preview it on a screen for editing purposes, whereas Miracast enables you to stream the preview directly on your second screen which is way better for your editing workflow.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. So would Miracast only mirror my screen or would there be the ability to extend my screen so it would be like having two screens?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. So would Miracast only mirror my screen or would there be the ability to extend my screen so it would be like having two screens?

I actually believe that you can choose either to your preference. It will probably depend on the functionality of the transmitter, but something like Windows 8.1 will probably let you configure it how you want.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you have your miracast device AND cable box connected through the XBox One? I'm curious how you have it done (if even possible) considering the Xbox One only has one HDMI input.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, the Xbox does not have any stand alone miracast capabilities. You cannot cast you Xbox to another screen and the Xbox cannot receive a cast without an miracast adpater being plugged into the HDMI input.

The Xbox hardware could allow it to get a miracast feature added with a software update in the future, but as of now it does not have that capability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo