X-Box One to have 12GB of RAM?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Buger

I'm sure 8 GB will be fine. Both the One and PS4 have about the same amount of usable RAM, so I wonder if there would have even be an improvement with extra RAM in the ONE, seeing as how devs often code to the lowest denominator and port to the others.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Buger

I'm sure 8 GB will be fine. Both the One and PS4 have about the same amount of usable RAM, so I wonder if there would have even be an improvement with extra RAM in the ONE, seeing as how devs often code to the lowest denominator and port to the others.

Well, 12 GB of RAM could have helped in making up for slower RAM in the One.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In that case, tell him you want a solid state drive. Hopefully you get a 500GB one.... LOL

Nah, I don't do anything that warrants a SSD. I don't turn the PC off, and I don't play many games ever, so it's just not worth it. In fact, I need to just save money and do a system-wide refresh. The board and CPU are almost 5 years old, and the GPU's nearing 4 itself (though it was a high-end GPU at the time of release, and I don't play anything to strain it whatsoever).

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, 12 GB of RAM could have helped in making up for slower RAM in the One.

Hardly, I think. I have 8GB of RAM on my PC and even multitasking several games on at once and a whole bunch of other stuff, I've never probably gone over 6,5gb RAM used even if I sort of tried. While it's good to have it around for some bizarre multitasking, but it doesn't really help making up for RAM speed :p On another note when it comes to that RAM speeds.. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why even the most expensive PC gaming rigs do not use GDDR5 for general purpose RAM, but it's gonna be interesting to see how Sony's decision plays out.

Naturally 12gb wouldn't have hurted and seeing how X1 will likely have a pretty nice selection of apps and in the future we might see some pretty impressive apps, it could've helped with the multitasking and having ****loads of stuff open in the background without having to worry.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have 6GB system memory and 2GB on my video card... Never seen an issue with multitasking, even while playing a game...
The only reason I went with 6GB for the system is to take advantage of triple channel memory (3 x 2GB)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hardly, I think. I have 8GB of RAM on my PC and even multitasking several games on at once and a whole bunch of other stuff, I've never probably gone over 6,5gb RAM used even if I sort of tried. While it's good to have it around for some bizarre multitasking, but it doesn't really help making up for RAM speed :p On another note when it comes to that RAM speeds.. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why even the most expensive PC gaming rigs do not use GDDR5 for general purpose RAM, but it's gonna be interesting to see how Sony's decision plays out.

Naturally 12gb wouldn't have hurted and seeing how X1 will likely have a pretty nice selection of apps and in the future we might see some pretty impressive apps, it could've helped with the multitasking and having ****loads of stuff open in the background without having to worry.

Well, they're not direct comparisons. The Xbox One is supposed to use more idle memory than a typical PC OS, no? It'll run the Windows 8 kernel, the gaming OS, and that bridge OS. I think that they said something like 3 GB is used. My PC idles more around 2.5 GB, and that's with programs running at startup. We don't know the resource consumption of the console's games or apps. If it was legitimately useless, there wouldn't have been a reason for it to even happen (which might be the case; they didn't do it because it didn't help at all).

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I have 12GB of memory on my system, but rarely I ever exceed 5GB with things like Visual Studio, lots of IE tabs, and games running concurrently

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I topped out around 4 GB myself, but again, PC applications do not run exactly as console games do, so we'll have to wait and see if there's an issue.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Would be odd that they would go out of their way to totally shoot down a rumor if it would be true, especially of this kind. I dont really think this is happening, as they dont usually comment on rumors, but this one they outright declined.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I don't think its extra ram either. But its definitely something, otherwise why cover it up
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I've got 32 GB or RAM on my PC.

The XBOX ONE must exceed this or I'm going to be angry. :devil:

Its highly unlikely it would need that much. The Xbox one is using GDDR5 memory. It supports far higher transfer rates than standard pc ddr3 memory.

Remember the 360? It only had 512mb of ram. Yet it was GDDR3 memory that sat right next to (really almost on top of) the processor. Not to mention Microsoft worked their electrical magic on it and made its transfer rates ridiculously fast. I believe on team executers forum it said that the 360's ram could theoretically support transfer rates of 129gb per second. Evidenced by the fact that it can smoothly play games like Skyrim, and Call of Duty.

If they do the same thing with the Xbox One, there won't be a need for anything greater than 8gb. Now let's just hope they don't make the same engineering mistakes they made in the og xbox, and og 360.

Sent from the stars...

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Its highly unlikely it would need that much. The Xbox one is using GDDR5 memory. It supports far higher transfer rates than standard pc ddr3 memory.

Remember the 360? It only had 512mb of ram. Yet it was GDDR3 memory that sat right next to (really almost on top of) the processor. Not to mention Microsoft worked their electrical magic on it and made its transfer rates ridiculously fast. I believe on team executers forum it said that the 360's ram could theoretically support transfer rates of 129gb per second. Evidenced by the fact that it can smoothly play games like Skyrim, and Call of Duty.

If they do the same thing with the Xbox One, there won't be a need for anything greater than 8gb. Now let's just hope they don't make the same engineering mistakes they made in the og xbox, and og 360.

Sent from the stars...

Actually the Xbox one has DDR3 whilst the PS4 has DDR5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte