Xbox Music Pass or Rhapsody

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Rhapsody won't allow you to download songs to your phone. It's a streaming service so it has the downside of using more battery and Data. Xbox music is cheaper and can play on any windows based devices big one being Xbox. You can stream or download

John Kwon

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan with AT&T, so that's not an issue. And I don't have an Xbox. Main thing for me is that I don't care to manage playlists and fill up my phone with music. I generally stream whatever I want to listen to. I almost never buy music anymore -- just stream. I've been trying Xbox Music and the interface seems really clumsy to me. Rhapsody on my iPhone was nice, but now that I have a Lumia 920, I'm on the fence between these two platforms.

John Kwon

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If Xbox Music's UI were not so bloated and more straightforward, it'd be a no-brainer, as I do like the seamless integration with WP8.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are familiar with Rhapsody. I'm not so I obviously can/ cannot recommend it. I would suggest you do the trial for Xbox Music and pick the one you like best.

Personally I've been with the MS offering for a while and wouldn't think of switching to another service. The new level of integration to me is a bonus to an already great service. There are a few bugs atm but I would expect those to get straightened out rather quickly.

Rob Owens

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I soooo wanted to go with xbox music. I signed up for the 30 day free trial and even paid for one more month. I was going all in. Unfortunately, the ONLY benefit I can see with xbox music is that it is pretty. I love the lock screen and the live tile. But it is a garbage ui.

Top playlists on phone and xbox, but not on windows 8? WFT? I can't even play Christmas music on xbox music on windows 8, but I can on phone and xbox. That makes sense.

Try accessing the now playing or queue. Good luck. What if there is 1 song in your now playing that you want to remove?

Making playlists without a drag and drop feature? How many hours do they want me to spend making playlists.

Multiple users with xbox music? No such luck.

Windows acts like "smart dj" is the greatest feature ever. Rhapsody has this, and Pandora is coming in 2013 with no commercials for windows phone.

Now that rhapsody is also available on the xbox, it is a no brainer.

Rhapsody has the ability to download for offline listening in android. so, hopefully it will come in an update. That is the only thing still missing.

I wanted to like xbox music and wish that I did. The full screen visualizations in windows 8 and xbox, and the lock screen on the 920 were almost enough. But, the usability of rhapsody is going to keep me.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the XBox Music app on W8 is garbage. As a long time Zune pass user trying to use the new app is like being punched directly in the brain. I just stopped using it and went back to Zune, more user friendly, more powerful and it doesn't make me want to kill my computer.
The only benefit XBox Music has right now is the cloud syncing of playlists, but even that is hit or miss on whether it will actually find the right version of the song so that it can be streamed. The cloud collection doesn't do me much good either, I've had the music pass for five years and ha e downloaded over 7000 songs, I don't need every single one showing up on my phone, whether I liked them or not. It's actually really frustrating, because it was so very good with a Zune pass and WP7.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear you have made your choice. Life is certainly too short to stress or be miserable over the little things.

G/L to ya..

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, the XBox Music app on W8 is garbage. As a long time Zune pass user trying to use the new app is like being punched directly in the brain. I just stopped using it and went back to Zune, more user friendly, more powerful and it doesn't make me want to kill my computer.
The only benefit XBox Music has right now is the cloud syncing of playlists, but even that is hit or miss on whether it will actually find the right version of the song so that it can be streamed. The cloud collection doesn't do me much good either, I've had the music pass for five years and ha e downloaded over 7000 songs, I don't need every single one showing up on my phone, whether I liked them or not. It's actually really frustrating, because it was so very good with a Zune pass and WP7.

I feel the same way. I've considered switching to Rhapsody but, as it stands currently, it can't replicate the Zune experience. Hopefully that will change with being able to download songs:

Offline Playback on Windows Phone App?

-R

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I will say this if u are just gonna use Rhapsody on the computer its great but if u plan on using Rhapsody on the Windows Phone u have no ability to access your library or add to your library. Which was the reason I dropped my Rhapsody subscription

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not Xbox Music. Playlists are a no no and the Drm issue that affects just about everyone that subscribes it seems is just a killer.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
How do you do it? The only way I know of to do it on a Windows 8 phone is to save your 'now playing' list (That you cannot view or edit) as a playlist. Accidentally add a song you don't want or accidentally play a song while you are choosing and it's all gone. Playlists are horrible on Xbox Music.

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was talking about but u can view it after u save it an if u wanna add songs just play your playlist add new song songs to play now an then save it again. To delete songs from the playlist, just delete it from your library. Yeah I admit its not the simplest way of managing a playlist but I guess after doing it so often I have gotten used to it

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
A rhapsody employee commented on a thread on their forums that tells me we might finally get a full featured wp8 app! This is exciting news to me. Wonder what will happen first, Xbox music getting fixed (many hard issues), or rhapsody fixing some glitches and adding offline listening that is currently on their other mobile apps.

They just put out a solid Xbox app so they are showing some momentum our way!

http://forum.rhapsody.com/rhapsody/topics/any_word_on_offline_play_for_wp8

laity78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That would be great, I would definitely subscribe to Rhapsody again if they came out with a full featured WP8 app. Anybody have the Slacker Premium on WP8? Is it full featured? Haven't used Slacker in quite sometime. Used to use it when I had my Torch & I4s an was pretty solid. Just curious

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Rhapsody employee posted another update detailing some features of their 'upcoming' WP8 app. Windows Phone App playback and usability problems

I REALLY hope this is weeks, not months away as I've been using xbox music because of the offline track saving so it doesn't use data. Though I really miss having access to my entire 'curated' collection of library and playlists on Rhapsody. That I can't sync playlists on xbox music across my devices or even run it on Windows 7 is just silly. First company to get this right on WinPhone8 will gain some loyal customers. I'm hoping microsoft intends to update xbox music to do what it SAID it would do back at the announcement. But if that's not happening soon it's good to know Rhapsody should be deliverying a 'best music experience on WP8' very soon.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3