Zune Pass Nightmare

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so, after years of owning a Zune HD, and 1,000's of songs downloaded via zune pass and countless purchases, I switch to WP8 and figure I can now use the phone to play my music.

A few of the purchased songs appear as available for download but they are all songs I downloaded for my kids and I don't even want them as shells on the phone but I can deal with that.

I plug the phone into the pc to do the transfer using the software provided with the phone. Seems easy enough. takes awhile for the 7,000 or so songs to transfer. Then I try using the device. Many of them say they can't play due to a license issue. I'm paying 15 bucks a month (or is it 10?) so that I can download any and all songs on my device so this should be ok but it isn't.

So I delete the songs and figure I will have to re-download most of the songs and then manually load the purchased music via the pc.

And then I see the nightmare. Xbox music is telling me I have the song on my device, which I don't, and I can purchase it, if I want to.

Is there a way to get the songs downloaded, via the licensed service, onto the phone or am I simply stuck walking around with the phone in one pocket, the zune in another?

any advice or help would be appreciated.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This is one of the things that's just broken right now, with no real transition plan from Microsoft. If you search these forums, you'll find plenty of other people with the same issue.

For purchased music, assuming you got the DRM free versions, those should sync up just fine with a PC. For your Zune Pass songs, as far as I'm aware you'll need to re-download them on the phone directly to get the correct DRM applied.

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
yeah, microsoft tech support told me it just doesn't work.

sadly, I have so many songs and I don't know which are drm free anymore.

to make matters worse, my device seems to think I have songs in my collection, when I don't.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
yeah, microsoft tech support told me it just doesn't work.

sadly, I have so many songs and I don't know which are drm free anymore.

to make matters worse, my device seems to think I have songs in my collection, when I don't.

That's not hard. Do a search in your music folder for *.wma . You can also use Zune desktop app to filter on only music with DRM.

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
being technologically stunted, I'm forced to ask - how do you search for DRM files?

Sadly, the real issue is that the songs I want to put on the phone are songs I downloaded on the pc and put on the zune and now, for reasons unknown, my phone shows them as in collection so I cannot download them onto the phone unless I buy them which defeats the purpose of the pass I pay for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999