Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

I just started getting this error today. I can still stream music like normal, and download whatever tracks I want. So my Xbox Music Pass still seems to work in that aspect. But if I try to play any song I've downloaded, even if I just listened to it while it was streaming, I get this error. It's like just their DRM servers are down.

I got a hold of an MS tech. He said, "it's known issue that we are investigating but have no time frame on a solution." His suggestions were disabling and re-enabling wifi (that I'm not connected to b/c I'm at work). And then a factory reset. Which I'm less than eager to try. So there u have it. I told him to turn off the auto-renew on my subscription. No point in paying for a service that doesn't work and they have no time frame on fixing. Too bad there's no spotify option. I'm really stuck now.
    Last edited by Allan Kaliel; 12-19-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Have you updated to portico? I havent heard directly but maybe a patch was included in that. I was having the issue and it went away with the fix I noted above in this thread. Seems like people are also having success with forcing a sync with their microsoft account as well.

Portico? I installed the big OS update for the 920 that was released yesterday. It didn't fix the problem. I went into Accounts and sync'd my Microsoft account. Didn't fix it.

Update: I did some reading, Portico is the update I installed yesterday.
    Last edited by Allan Kaliel; 12-20-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Mine just started working again for some unknown reason!

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    How long ago did it stop working?

My sense is that its happening to people who signed up for the trial, but then went ahead and signed up/paid for the subscription before the trial was over. At the end of the trial theres some mix up in the processing of the account/payment. Seems to take a few days for most and then it starts working again.

I just hope it doesnt happen at the end of each month/billing cycle.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
    How long ago did it stop working?

My sense is that its happening to people who signed up for the trial, but then went ahead and signed up/paid for the subscription before the trial was over. At the end of the trial theres some mix up in the processing of the account/payment. Seems to take a few days for most and then it starts working again.

I just hope it doesnt happen at the end of each month/billing cycle.
    You might be right. I'm having this issue even though xbox.com has me as an active subscriber. That said, I checked my credit card details and MS has yet to bill me. The issue might be because there's a delay between the end of the trial and the initial billing.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Yep, I saw the same thing. No charge on my card even though billing info and subscription info was correct. Sit tight for a few days and it will probably correct itself.
    I think you could be right! My trial ran out last Friday, so it's taken nearly a week for it to correct itself - not great, but glad it seems to be sorted!

My trial subscription just ended tonight, and I had signed up for a year and the $100 charge went through. Then 4 hours after that the music service stopped working reporting the DRM license issue. Microsoft this is a terrible experience and you should be able to have figured this out and fixed it by now.

Just chatted with Windows Phone Support. They spotted the billing issue but it didn't correct my situation. They're pretty certain a factory reset will do the trick. Which sucks. But I'll try it and see what happens.

Mine just started magically working this morning. So ya, I took a look, and I signed up on Nov 19th. So it was exactly after a month of signing up when my problems started. And now it's all good. Better not have this issue on Jan 19th.

Microsoft are making another monumental mess of Xbox Music. I have now got this issue and its incredibly frustrating.

Its as if they didn't bother to do any testing, just rolled it out without a care in the world.

I would encourage anyone tempted by Xbox music to wait, don't sign up for the trial and do not under any circumstances pay for a music pass, it simply doesn't work.

I am having this issue. I signed up for the free trial on Nov 22 and seems like right around Dec 22 I started having this issue. Seems like some people are saying it will sort itself out within a week? I hope so. This is complete bullsh*t. XBox music is the driving factor leading me to purchase a windows phone 8 (I have the lumia 920). I called the xbox support and they were beyond useless. The girl I was talking with was bing'ing the problem. WTF??? I can use the internet myself. I tried all the methods suggested in the thread and nothing is working. Very upset and frustrated. Also, I'm passed the 30-day return period, so I'm pretty sure I'll be sh*t outta luck if I try and return it...

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Give it a couple days. I think it is a billing issue going from trial to paid subscription. At least that was what happened to mine. One day wouldn't work and next day no problem at all. Only problem thus month was email saying my Xbox sub is about to expire. It's auto renew. But I haven't had any issues with playing music. Just wait until trial ends and see what happens.

I was having the same problem with my Nokia 820; one day I randomly lost media rights for any songs I had downloaded. As someone else posted: From the "songs" list select "cloud collection" only. Play any song from the list, then switch back to "all" and try a song you've downloaded. Worked for me, hooray!

OK, all my songs are working now. They stopped when the free trial expired about a week ago. So, hopefully the same thing will happen for everyone else. Just give it a week. Now, if this happens every month, I will be frustrated to say the least.

I had this problem for several days after my free trial of xbox music expired and the billed period started. It was so irritating, I began to seriously regret getting a windows phone, especially after being kept on text chat by customer service for an hour (who had no idea what the problem was)! In the end I decided to take the plunge and fully reset my phone to factory conditions, it was a pain, but at least WP8 has a really decent automatic backup system! After this I could download music...and listen to it again on my phone :) So if you can't find a less drastic way of making it work, I guess a hard reset may solve the problem, it might be worth waiting for a few days before hand though, to see if it fixes it self, I imagine there may be several different causes of the problem. I'm not an expert on DRM but is seems as if the identity from the trial gets stuck to the phone and can't be replaced when the subscription is renewed, hence no music can be played as the keys don't match or something. I guess the full reboot fixes this by just resetting everything. I hope this fix works for everyone else :)

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Yep, also having this problem after my trial ended.. Yet another WP8 fail.. Love beta testing..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Looks like I've found the culprit of this problem.

Sometimes the automatic date and time configuration makes the time and date messed up, therefore if the time/date and timezone are not right, the device can't connect to DRM servers, or if my analysis is right, that the DRM info is time/date stamped, so if the file played outside its specified time/date, it needs to re-sync to DRM servers to re-verify its permission.

The solution is fairly simple, you need to turn off your auto update time/date settings, and manually set the timezone, date and time. After its fixed, the downloaded file will play even you have no network connections, looks like the DRM info is stored in date/time basis.

I'm using Lumia 920, and this phone sometimes cannot wake up from sleep, then I have to soft-resets it by holding down vol-down+power button. after it boots up again, the time and date is always messed up. This is how I found the DRM problem and the solution.

PS :
    - When you soft-resetting your phone, the time will always be messed up. It's best to set the date and time manually.
    - Its best after fixing your date/time, you go to account settings and re-sync your Microsoft account.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinichi_c00l View Post
    Looks like I've found the culprit of this problem.

Sometimes the automatic date and time configuration makes the time and date messed up, therefore if the time/date and timezone are not right, the device can't connect to DRM servers, or if my analysis is right, that the DRM info is time/date stamped, so if the file played outside its specified time/date, it needs to re-sync to DRM servers to re-verify its permission.

The solution is fairly simple, you need to turn off your auto update time/date settings, and manually set the timezone, date and time. After its fixed, the downloaded file will play even you have no network connections, looks like the DRM info is stored in date/time basis.

I'm using Lumia 920, and this phone sometimes cannot wake up from sleep, then I have to soft-resets it by holding down vol-down+power button. after it boots up again, the time and date is always messed up. This is how I found the DRM problem and the solution.

PS :
    - When you soft-resetting your phone, the time will always be messed up. It's best to set the date and time manually.
    - Its best after fixing your date/time, you go to account settings and re-sync your Microsoft account.
    I wish I could report positive news, but, this didn't work for me :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

This is a serious problem and no one on the xbox music customer service has any fix expect to reset your device and redownload all your music. I'm so frustrated how can they expect you to redownload 600 songs and then tell you there is no guarantee this won't happen again next month... I thought i would never say this but I can see why people like apple their stuff just works how it's supposed to.

Don't re download anything. It will start working again a few days after it starts.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post
    Don't re download anything. It will start working again a few days after it starts.
    thanks for the tip and I hope it does...
    Well mine has renewed successfully this month, so hopefully the issue only occurs once!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast