Zune Pass to Xbox Music pass nightmare

sherveyj

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Zune Music pass supports 6 devices (3 PCs and 3 devices such as phones or zunehd)
I've been using Zune pass for last 2 or 3 years.
Upgraded 1 WP7 to WP8 for xmas. Now stuck with this Xbox Music Pass garbage that only allows 4 devices total.
I deleted old WP7 from zune client - to be replaced with WP8. Then using Xbox music pass trying to delete 2 PC devices to whittle it down to 4 devices total.
Else my new WP8 says it exceeded maximum devices when i wish to download music.
I cant delete the last device from Xbox Music Pass device list because you only get to delete 2 devices per month.
Called support and they said nothing they can do. So I now have a new WP8 that cant download music for the next month.
Also the fact Zune could use 6 devices and Xbox Music only allows 4 is killing me. I'm thinking of returning my WP8 for a new WP7 and stay with the 6 device Zune license.
I was a diehard zune customer and was an evangelist - but now I'm just pissed off and extremely disappointed.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I never cancelled my Zune Pass when I moved to Windows Phone 8. Surprisingly, DRM content still syncs just fine. The only problem I've found is that sometimes when I first play a DRM song it says "can't verify media usage rights" (or something along those lines). Hitting play again fixes the problem.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes. In fact, I noticed that I have an active Xbox Music pass subscription despite never signing up for it. I assume it's because of my Zune Pass subscription.

sherveyj

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
As soon as you move to WP8.... you need to use Xbox Music. And the 6 device limit allowed in Zune Music Pass gets reduced to 4 in Xbox Music pass.
Im still paying $14.95 month for Zune Music pass for the 10 free songs (which I move to itunes) - I feel existing Zune music pass customer should have been grandfathered in to keep the 6 device limit - as opposed to the new 4 device limit in Xbox Music Pass.

Last edited:

MorbidFun

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It was a nightmare for me as well. I just want to reply to this thread so if Microsoft reads this, they have one more feedback. I have five Windows Phones, four on WP7.5 and my Nokia 822 I recently upgraded too. Very annoying that I now have to pay for two subscriptions for ONE household just to use all five devices and for my device to work correctly. Do not get me started on the nightmare of seperating my stuff from the rest of my familys.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So I had my desktop PC, my Lumia 900, my Surface, and my replacement Surface after I had an issue synced to Xbox Music.

When I got my 920, I didn't remove any of the four... and the 920 was still able to stream music without an issue. When I wanted to download music to it, it was only then that I had to remove another device first. I'm not sure that'll work that way for everyone, but it's at least something you might want to try.

As for using one Pass for a whole family, I didn't think that was technically allowed. I thought it was technically just a license for one individual, but I could be entirely wrong.

MorbidFun

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Previously I was able to use all the phones under the Zune Pass. I could use six devices under it. After reading through some more stuff in the forums the past few hours it seems that I somehow ended up under the new Zune subscription which limits the subscriber to four devices and my current Xbox subscription. Due to this I have to have two subscriptions to accomodate the five phones and the laptop.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I used to share my account with the wife, but that meant she dealt with status noise from twitter. She never used the music functionality so she has been divorced from my account.

I do believe that technically, you are not supposed to have multiple users per pass, just devices. I wish they would do a music and movie family pass that would allow for accounts and not devices to be part of the same shared cloud of jams and flicks.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
No, not even close. Xbox music is a pos compared to Zune. Xbox music on my Surface is slow as ****, automatically starts downloading music from cloud even of you go into settings and turn this off it still keeps doing it. You can't buy multiple tracks at once, no user friendly set up help and again very ****ing slow on my surface. This app is the only reason I can't recommend the surface. If your listening MS please fix this crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos