XBox Music stops playing after one song - ARM or Clovertrail related?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So, having finally got myself a nice new tablet/convertible (HP Envy X2) and really starting to explore a bit, I decided to play around with Xbox Music.

Firstly - this app is all eye candy an no substance - MS needs to fix this app as soon as possible if it really hopes to compete in the tablet multimedia arena - it's just shockingly bad!

I came across an interesting little bug that I can't work out if it's just due to the horribly broken app or something else. There's a whole thread about in the Xbox support Forums but not much useful information.

Basically - regardless if I'm playing local music or streaming via Xbox Music (free - not paid subscription level), if I just let the song list play, at the end of the first song, the music stops and I get a 'file format unsupported' error. However, if I manually skip to the next song - no issues at all.

Anyone else got any experience with this? From the very brief research I've managed do far it would seem that it is restricted to Intel Atom and ARM CPU's.

To say this is irritating beyond belief is an understatement - it basically renders the Music App completely useless.

**EDIT - just checked this on wife's laptop (Intel Core i3) - it does NOT exhibit this behavior, i.e. operates as it should. So it's definitely linked to the CPU type**

Last edited:

I Spiritus I

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I have had this on my Surface RT mate... No idea what causes it. Sorry I can't be of much help but atleast you are not alone.

I'm in the process of replacing all of my owned music with versions download from Xbox Music using my Music Pass(Still keeping a back up of my own music) to see if that makes any difference. Will let you know how I get on.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Frankly this is outrageous! HOW THE **** would MS release this to market and not have caught this?

Anyone know if they've even acknowledged it as a problem yet?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
XBOX Music is a joke. It is ugly, buggy and fails both on the phone and the desktop. It needs about another years worth of development time to even remotely come close to what Zune was previously. On WP8 phones with XBOX Music, for instance, if you use a big music collection (like 20gb+) on an SD card it basically lags to no tomorrow and sometimes even crashes the phone.

On the PC, it has barely any features and lots of categorization problems.

Finally, there is the known bug you described.

Overall, XBOX Music is Microsoft's biggest failure of recent times, and oddly one of the heaviest they've advertised. Perhaps they should fix it before they trumpet it.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't related to the CPU type. I have had this issue with the Win8 XBM app. I can't figure out what is causing this issue, other than it has to be an issue with the app trying to verify DRM usage.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
When I had an Asus Vivo Tab this problem occurred after upgrading my sound drivers (admittedly they were HP drivers) but I also read that Samsung Ativ users had the same issue when they upgraded their drivers to the latest Samsung ones but when i reverted the problem went away but sound would then fail completely occasionally. Now on my Surface Pro I don't have this problem at all so I think its a Clovertrail driver problem.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
XBOX Music is a joke. It is ugly, buggy and fails both on the phone and the desktop. It needs about another years worth of development time to even remotely come close to what Zune was previously. On WP8 phones with XBOX Music, for instance, if you use a big music collection (like 20gb+) on an SD card it basically lags to no tomorrow and sometimes even crashes the phone.

On the PC, it has barely any features and lots of categorization problems.

Finally, there is the known bug you described.

Overall, XBOX Music is Microsoft's biggest failure of recent times, and oddly one of the heaviest they've advertised. Perhaps they should fix it before they trumpet it.

Couldn't disagree more.

xbox music has a lot going for it. For you to say it is ugly is a OTT. I think it is modern and classy.
Where it has problems is with importing existing music collections and Microsoft need to make this better in the next update.

When you do match your songs in the cloud or use xbox music downloads, the app works really well. It integrates with other music add on apps well and generally I have had very few problems with it.

Its a decent update away from being the best music service out there. In terms of the library it beats Spotify.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was hopefull with the latest release of XBox Music this would be fixed but nope! I'm guessing it has to be a driver issue and therefore the onus to fix it will lay with the hardware manufacturers rather than Microsoft.

It sucks as I'd really like to be able to use XBox Music the way it was intended.

Anyone got any good suggestions for third party alternatives, preferably that run in Metro interface?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say I also agree with Ruined. I re-subed for a year right before Win 8 came out. Should have cancelled when I had the chance.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Just as an update folks, there is a work around for this issue now as posted on the Microsoft forum where there is a thread on this topic.

First make sure XBox Music is closed. Then, go to desktop mode, right click on the speaker icon and select 'Playback Devices. Select the speaker and then click 'Properties'. Click on the 'Advanced' tab and then UNCHECK the 'Enable hardware acceleration.

This sorted out the issue for me completely. It seems like an official MS rep has also finally acknowledged in the MS forum that there is an issue and they are looking in to it. Anyway, this works in the interim.
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

NVLady

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I don't have that setting, but my problem was when I started a playlist then did an Alt/Tab (on my Windows 8 laptop) to work on my Desktop, I only heard one song play. I used your path, but on the Advanced tab, I unchecked "Exclusive Mode" settings. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05