Saying no to local storage

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As many of you know, the Surface RT comes with a paltry amount of free HDD space. Thankfully there's expandable memory up to 64 gigs. But I'm guessing there's a handful of music lovers out there that can push the boundaries. I myself have 40+ gigs stored on an external hard drive (and I only have a 32GB card in my Surface). Sprinkle in some HD movies/TV seasons and it's totally possible to run out of space.

So I did the logical thing and deleted all my music from my Surface RT. I uploaded all my songs to the cloud (a much smaller 5 gig selection of songs). Then I deleted the local files from the HDD which left the streaming option. Now I can just stream all the songs I own. I really only use my Surface when there's WiFi available. Might as well take advantage of cloud streaming and free up some vital HDD space.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've stopped downloading/buying song a few years back myself. I find that I get tired of the same old song, so I think buying them is a waste of money. Its not like the song file appreciates in value the longer it sits in your HDD. I'd rather pay for a streaming service than pay per song, because I can download/stream any song I want from the cloud, as many or as little times as I want. And of course, like you said, storage is no longer a problem.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to come around to the same way of thinking. For a hundred bucks a year I can stream or download as much as I can listen to. A hundred bucks would only buy 80 songs or so a year. Its hard giving up the idea of ownership but ninjaap said, the songs don't really grow in value the more you keep them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven