Xbox Music Not Allowing Single Purchase

NawfSideWillyB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
On my phone and a buddies, the Xbox Music purchase song option (cart logo to left of title) is not there for ~80% of the songs. I'm assuming this issue is widespread. Has anyone else noticed this?

I like to purchase my songs and not go the subscription route. Pretty much all mainstream songs can't be purchased unless whole album. Only random obscure music I look up is available for individual purchase. Just to get it out of the way, this is not about those certain albums that you have to purchase whole, but widespread across "most" songs.

I also do know Xbox Live and Music have been having some issues due to servers. (Maybe this is the cause?)

Both on 1520's.

Thanks for any input.

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem on wp8. This is a real problem for me as I am grandfathered into the 10 free song credits and i prefer to get them on the phone so they automatically download in windows 8 and get added to my cloud collection. I checked on an old wp7 phone I have and was able to buy individual tracks on it so the problem is wp8 specific. Guess I need to use the Zune desktop software for my credits until this is fixed.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just had a look at this and as far as I can see I can buy individual songs (Got a music pass so I don't need to buy).

Either from the list of top songs or find an album and then a song, just hold on the song and the options come up to Add to, Create radio station, Share or Buy.

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Under top songs, all about that bass, see attached picture that does not include the buy option. I rarely find songs with the buy option any more, not sure if a hard reset would fix - I don't really want to do that.
wp_ss_20141122_0001.jpg

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Couple of things crossed my mind, although don't take them as gospel or anything, just thinking out loud.

After the new year Xbox music is changing, it will no longer support streaming for people without XBM passes, I don't know what other changes are happening, maybe they have set some changes in place.

As already mentioned I have a pass and can buy single songs (Not that I need to) maybe it is a pass issue, does any one with a pass have this issue or is it only non pass users who are affected.

And for the record I have a 1520, I will check my wife's 520 and my lads 930 later on but both of them are pass holders as well.

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a grandfathered pass where I get the 10 song credits so the issue affects pass users also. The windows 8 Xbox music app gives me the option to buy individual songs but doesn't recognize the song credits so the problem is with wp8. My phone is the Icon with the latest DP update installed.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My boy doesn't get in for a few more hours so I can't check his phone, but it does seem like you have slightly different problems, one can see stuff to buy but the pass isn't being recognised, the other can't see the buy option on lots of songs.

Yet others can see them.

I would guess the best option would be to contact MS.

NawfSideWillyB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, me and my buddy are non pass holders, I'm running DP and he's not so the issue (I would venture to say) is not DP related. Its just very unusual 2 1520's have the same issue. To me that would be representative of widespread issues, but maybe not.

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I did a chat online with Microsoft to see if they are aware of any issues. Agent said this is a known issue and they are working on a solution, see excerpts below:

Michael B.: Hunter Hamman Tech Lead- Are we able to provide previous chat logs to customers if they are on their account? 10:16 AM We are aware of the issue and we're actively working on a solution or work around.
Michael B.: These type of intermittent issues are common with pre release builds of any software.
Michael B.: I'm certainly sorry for the frustration it may cause! You are still able to get these songs on another device, so it seems you have found a good work around.

I'm not sure this is isolated to the DP, so is anyone not on DP having this issue?

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is with the latest update, as I had no problems redeeming my credits before the installation.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I found a solution. I tested this three times to make sure it wasn't an anomaly. First download the song. Then long press the song again. The buy option will appear. Try it out and let me know your results.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: Out of the three I used my credits on, only one transferred probably to an MP3 file. The other two are WMA. So the "solution" is not seamless.

Last edited:

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE 2: There is a reason why the two songs were saved as WMA files. When I downloaded the songs on my phone, I had my Windows 8 Music app open. So when I bought the song, the Windows 8 app didn't recognized the transaction. I went ahead and closed the app (in task manager to be sure), and repeated the process. After opening the W8 it downloaded the purchased song - it now shows as an MP3.

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried your suggestion and it works but can add another suggestion that worked flawlessly for me.

Buy option was still not appearing for me in the music app so I tried another method. After downloading as WMA, open the Music Hub Tile app which brings back the WP8 music app, go to artists and view songs. Check Xbox music store songs and you should find your song with "in collection, buy." Press and hold and buy option appears. I hope MS fixes this so we don't need to do these extra steps.
music hub tile.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3