XBOX Music Pass For Child Account

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone tried adding an XBOX Music subscription to a child (Microsoft Account) account? If you use the child account to add the subscription, it says you need permission from the parent. No real option for permissions exist except to allow Free and paid downloads turned on.

I've even been chatting with XBOX Music support and they are stumped. Any suggestions?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I thought you could only use the Music account if it was the primary account on the phone. Did you buy it through a secondary account?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I thought you could only use the Music account if it was the primary account on the phone. Did you buy it through a secondary account?

Our child has their own Microsoft Account...it is also controlled by Windows Family Safety on the PC end and that carries over a lot to the XBOX One. I just want to open a separate XBOX Music subscription on her non-activated Windows Phone (mainly as a MP3 player) so her "collection" is different than mine. I've tried everything and it won't let me do it. Sure, she can be one of my 4-5 devices allowed but I want her to have a separate collection.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I could think of is sign her up with Xbox Music on a completely separate account and have that sync to the phone as the primary account. If you're concerned about her downloading questionable material, you could periodically monitor her collection manually... otherwise I think you're SOL.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Our child has their own Microsoft Account...it is also controlled by Windows Family Safety on the PC end and that carries over a lot to the XBOX One. I just want to open a separate XBOX Music subscription on her non-activated Windows Phone (mainly as a MP3 player) so her "collection" is different than mine. I've tried everything and it won't let me do it. Sure, she can be one of my 4-5 devices allowed but I want her to have a separate collection.

Were you able to find a way to get your child a music pass account? I'm asking because I just ran into a similar problem last weekend. I was thinking of getting my son an Xbox Music pass, but before doing that I thought I'd show him how to take advantage of the free and reduced price album deals Microsoft has been running. He has a Microsoft/Xbox Live Gold account with some money in it, and I figured it would be no problem. Nope. Turns out child and teen accounts can't purchase music, at least not in the Windows 8 app. You have to be 18 to buy music - not explicit music, any music. Unbelievable.

However, on the Microsoft community forum, the mod said while he couldn't purchase music, he should be able to redeem a code for a music pass on his account. I haven't tried that yet; despite the mods assurances, I wasn't convinced it would work. Your experience isn't doing anything for my confidence in that solution either...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Were you able to find a way to get your child a music pass account? I'm asking because I just ran into a similar problem last weekend. I was thinking of getting my son an Xbox Music pass, but before doing that I thought I'd show him how to take advantage of the free and reduced price album deals Microsoft has been running. He has a Microsoft/Xbox Live Gold account with some money in it, and I figured it would be no problem. Nope. Turns out child and teen accounts can't purchase music, at least not in the Windows 8 app. You have to be 18 to buy music - not explicit music, any music. Unbelievable.

However, on the Microsoft community forum, the mod said while he couldn't purchase music, he should be able to redeem a code for a music pass on his account. I haven't tried that yet; despite the mods assurances, I wasn't convinced it would work. Your experience isn't doing anything for my confidence in that solution either...

No, I could not resolve this at all...a child account cannot have its own XBOX Music Account with a separate collection. What I have to do is let her be one of my 4 allowed devices and to not sync the cloud collection and just download what music I want her to have.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No, I could not resolve this at all...a child account cannot have its own XBOX Music Account with a separate collection. What I have to do is let her be one of my 4 allowed devices and to not sync the cloud collection and just download what music I want her to have.

Well, I don't know if you'd want to try this, but I decided to risk a 12 month music pass code I picked up last year. Much to my surprise, it actually worked. My son now has Xbox Music and can stream songs. (He still can't purchase music, of course.) The thing was, I couldn't even redeem the code in the Windows 8 app. When I tried it gave me the error about child and teen accounts not being able to make purchases. What I ended up doing was I went to the music.xbox.com website and redeemed it there. (Ultimately I ended up at the main Xbox Live account site to actually redeem the code, so I could have gone to xbox.com directly.) Silly how difficult that ended up being.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Well, I don't know if you'd want to try this, but I decided to risk a 12 month music pass code I picked up last year. Much to my surprise, it actually worked. My son now has Xbox Music and can stream songs. (He still can't purchase music, of course.) The thing was, I couldn't even redeem the code in the Windows 8 app. When I tried it gave me the error about child and teen accounts not being able to make purchases. What I ended up doing was I went to the music.xbox.com website and redeemed it there. (Ultimately I ended up at the main Xbox Live account site to actually redeem the code, so I could have gone to xbox.com directly.) Silly how difficult that ended up being.

So if I go to the website. the only option is to redeem a code and no add a subscription that I pay per month for?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I think you might be able to pay for a subscription on the Xbox website with a credit card, but you'd have to save your credit card info on the child account. Then the credit card is available for other purchases from that account, and I didn't particularly want to do that.

I don't think you can purchase a subscription by adding Xbox/Microsoft money to the account and paying that way. There may be other solutions, I just know that redeeming the music pass code on the website worked for my son. (That was a 12 month pass I picked up for $30 during MS's Christmas sale last year. They're going to be selling for $50 tomorrow - still a pretty good deal - so I'll be buying more.)

blur510

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I am really confused about this, I have an XBOX Music account, I have it one 2 Devices, my 1520 and my Laptop. I bought my nephew a 635, I didn't put a sim card on it because it will be used only as a music player. But I can't get any music to sync on it, It is set up using his own outlook account, and logged in to xbox music using my xbox music account. I don't know what I am doing wrong. please help thanks

eoghanmchugh

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
So how did you do this specifically? When I try to add a code from my kid's account it says she does not have permissions. I can't add it from my account because I have my own Music Pass.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am really confused about this, I have an XBOX Music account, I have it one 2 Devices, my 1520 and my Laptop. I bought my nephew a 635, I didn't put a sim card on it because it will be used only as a music player. But I can't get any music to sync on it, It is set up using his own outlook account, and logged in to xbox music using my xbox music account. I don't know what I am doing wrong. please help thanks

I've never tried doing that. Are you (or your nephew) able to stream (rather than sync) over WiFi using your music account? Is it not working at all or just not syncing?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So how did you do this specifically? When I try to add a code from my kid's account it says she does not have permissions. I can't add it from my account because I have my own Music Pass.

The only thing I can think of offhand is purchasing turned off for her Xbox account? In the Privacy & online safety section of the Xbox website, there are options that are targeted to the Xbox 360 and One consoles, but they may affect the account in general (not sure). For example, under the Xbox 360 settings, there's this one:

Purchasing Decide if this person can buy premium content on the Xbox 360, including Xbox Live Arcade games, game add-ons, and other items in the Xbox Games Store, Xbox Music Store, or Xbox Video Store.

If this is blocked for her account, it might prevent redeeming a music pass code, even when done on the web site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3