Neil Young -- The Full Picture

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As some of you may recall, music artist Neil Young had all his songs pulled from streaming services, including Groove.

His claim was that streaming services did not offer the appropriate level of quality that listeners deserve. Looking at Microsoft Groove alone I'd agree with him (192 Kbps MP3 VBR)

However, his claim does not hold true for every streaming service, which left me confused ever since I read the article on WindowsCentral.

Today I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQUFCCcQ4A

Apparently Neil Young has gotten himself into the audiophile business.
Watch the video and please give thoughts on his "revolutionary" Android based DAP.

I think Neil Young should be ashamed of himself :grin:

Quick Summary:
  1. Pono has their own lossless music store.
  2. Only songs purchased and downloaded will be indicated as "high quality", even though there are equally good sources elsewhere.
  3. Their player is $400. Sounds and performs worse than cheaper hardware such as the Walkman F series players.

So you pay more for the brand, Ponos.. lol..

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I knew about this for awhile, since he had it on Kickstarter. No I didn't support it.

That's why I knew removing streaming of his songs was just a marketing ploy that has nothing to do with so-called artistic integrity.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Neil Young isn't worth the major storage space required for lossless recordings. Few artists are for me, and then only some of their best recordings. Good recordings sound good even at 192, and especially at 320. I rip at 320 only for playback on my portable devices and the good recordings play back beautifully through quality phones, or quality car audio. Poor recordings' flaws are more obvious at best-resolved levels.

Young's hearing may not be what it used to be; mine is not and he's even older. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte