Opinions on people's opinion on the Xbox One

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: My opinion on people's opinion on the Xbox One

I don't like the thought that Microsoft had the POTENTIAL to track me in any way with this thing. It might not be the "Big Brother" spying you're thinking I mean, but they are considering the use of the tech to track what users are doing in some way, and that doesn't sit well with me.

If you use a smart phone you are being tracked, even if you turn off location, i don't like it either, but we cant get away from this.

If you're just worried about POTENTIAL, then technology in general is not going to be your friend.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

yeah, if you're worried about the kinect spying on you then you shouldn't use bing, google, yahoo, amazon, ebay, apple, oh wait...pretty much the entire internet....

Seriously, that has got to be one of the worst reasons not to buy an xbox, I could understand if you said that the kinect was gimmicky and it looked like a childs toy, but to make the excuse that its going to spy on you, what about sony's 4 eye, its the same **** concept, so how can you say that one is going to spy on you and not the other, its a ludicrous argument.

Also, the way they implemented the kinect on the xbox one looks fantastic, sure it was a demo, but if it even works close to how they showed it, it will be awesome. Also the fact that it integrates as a set top box, while not a feature I would use, would be an awesome thing to have for somebody that does have digital cable. Its one less box to have on your tv stand. Also, I really like the force feedback in the controllers and that the controller is relatively unchanged, if it isn't broken, then don't fix it...

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I will be a proud owner of an Xbox One, Playstation 4 and a Wii U. Everyone else can have fun arguing over which is better while I enjoy all three.

I'm starting my own game company soon (I'll need you guys' help with a Windows 8/Phone game soon!!) so I'm thinking about justifying buying all three as well (you know, say it is because I need to "research every platform"). But, I'll probably use my Xbox One as entertainment/media center device. So the WiiU and PS4 will be empty, except for the games I put in them... And the media-parts of those two machines will seem like barren wastelands... Don't you have a problem with that? To me it feels like you've got three kids and you're spoiling one of them, while giving the last two only scraps :p

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing is that none of this has been finalized yet. Of course all of it is on the table so anything is possible, but nothing is known yet...apparently not even inside MS across departments. MS is in the business to make a profit, so they will do what is right for the majority and still push us forward.

The whole tracking thing is funny too, because we have been tracked every since technology came into existence. Heck I used to do it for a living.

The X1 will not fit everyone's needs nor desires, but it is a major step forward as an entertainment system. Society as a majority is demanding more from their devices and game consoles are no different. I like that if I'm on the X1 playing, then I don't have to manually switch over to catch a show, skype a friend, etc. I can just speak it and it does it instantly.

I am a Gold member so I will have an internet connection, but when I'm on a camping trip, I'm sure they will allow the playing of non-online gaming. This was addressed by someone at MS, but was still worded vaguely. However they said that more will be revealed/discussed at E3 and then the rest will be released afterwards as the final software policies are signed off.

Like someone stated, I too will own both the PS4 and X1...sorry I can't join you on the Wii U...so I don't think one system is moving in opposite direction of the other. They are both moving toward the entertainment system market, but with different approaches, which in a couple of years will be even more similar as a lot of this is software based. As for gameplay and graphics, this has yet to be determined. Of course on paper the PS4 should have the edge, but how often have we seen this end up not being the case in real life use? Besides the 2nd SKU releases of both systems will truly show how each will hold up. Remember that both system support 3D and up to 4K, so I think they will each do just fine.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Depends on your definition of successful - even though MS has sold 77 million in 8 years I still don't think they've made money on it.

well on the physical console, no. With the games, I'm sure they have, why would they keep it up for like 10+ years if that weren't the case, only a company with bad business would go into a market segment and not make money, and I'll give you a hint, microsoft is anything but bad at business. Sure they've made a couple missteps along the way with their other products, but overall are a very successful company.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Depends on your definition of successful - even though MS has sold 77 million in 8 years I still don't think they've made money on it.

I don't think you understand how these companies make money from game consoles. The consoles almost always cost more to produce then they are sold for. Just like computer retail stores often sell computers for at cost or even below cost. This is/was especially true for PS3 and Xbox 360.

However, they make their money from the peripherals and games. With each game sold, MS takes a percentage. They also can make money off accessories like controllers. In Microsoft's case, they also make money through XB Live subscriptions and gamer points.

The Xbox is an extremely successful product for them, it took them a while to get there though.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally feel the mandatory Kinnect is lame. Really should be optional

Completely disagree. As a developer myself, you try to make sure you don't utilize api's and technology that isn't available to everyone. Making it standard is a huge leap forward. It gives much more incentive to use Kinect to create a more immersive experience.

It allows developers to be innovative. And to be honest, there's a good chance a game is going to come along and introduce a Kinect immersive feature that ultimately becomes a standard feature for it's genre.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Completely disagree. As a developer myself, you try to make sure you don't utilize api's and technology that isn't available to everyone. Making it standard is a huge leap forward. It gives much more incentive to use Kinect to create a more immersive experience.

It allows developers to be innovative. And to be honest, there's a good chance a game is going to come along and introduce a Kinect immersive feature that ultimately becomes a standard feature for it's genre.

And that's all well and good. I'm not knocking or suggesting the Kinnect not be taken seriously in general. I think it has it place. Heck, I have one myself (found it used on $50 on Amazon and its another way for me to see my nieces in California. Dance Central is fun too). I chose to wait til it made sense to buy something that wasn't really living up to its potential.

Granted, no one has to use it if they choose not to. But I also think it should be something that can be included at the consumers discretion, especially IF the inclusion of an additional peripheral affects the price or not. Just my opinion as a potential buyer.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
And that's all well and good. I'm not knocking or suggesting the Kinnect not be taken seriously in general. I think it has it place. Heck, I have one myself (found it used on $50 on Amazon and its another way for me to see my nieces in California. Dance Central is fun too). I chose to wait til it made sense to buy something that wasn't really living up to its potential.

Well, I think that new Kinect is completely different from old one because it can really identify you as a certain person (or does present gen Kinect do same, I don't know because I don't have it). All these demos where it can say whether you sit left or right side of your friend and splitting screen always right are really cool stuff. Who wouldn't want these kind of live -easing features.
When watching film, I really like the idea of auto pause (that of course could be disabled if people don't want it to be used) when going to frigde.

All small stuff is where I see lots of potential.

Changing gameplay itself is different story, but why not include for example peek -function to FPS when hiding behind corner? I doesn't mean you have to wave your head like crazy, just leaning left or right slightly. This would be small, but still great addition to gameplay and still you could just sit on a sofa and play the game as usual.

There could be "shortcut" gestures to go directly where you want without pushing buttons and waiting menus to load. Something simple. Don't like it, don't use it. And I agree that when everybody has Kinect, developers will look the possibilities it creates with new eyes. And assuming the life expectation of xbox one is close to 10years, I think there will be something really interesting features just because they now made Kinect a mandatory accessory for everyone.

I will buy xbox one as soon as I can.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think that new Kinect is completely different from old one because it can really identify you as a certain person (or does present gen Kinect do same, I don't know because I don't have it). All these demos where it can say whether you sit left or right side of your friend and splitting screen always right are really cool stuff. Who wouldn't want these kind of live -easing features.
When watching film, I really like the idea of auto pause (that of course could be disabled if people don't want it to be used) when going to frigde.

All small stuff is where I see lots of potential.

Changing gameplay itself is different story, but why not include for example peek -function to FPS when hiding behind corner? I doesn't mean you have to wave your head like crazy, just leaning left or right slightly. This would be small, but still great addition to gameplay and still you could just sit on a sofa and play the game as usual.

There could be "shortcut" gestures to go directly where you want without pushing buttons and waiting menus to load. Something simple. Don't like it, don't use it. And I agree that when everybody has Kinect, developers will look the possibilities it creates with new eyes. And assuming the life expectation of xbox one is close to 10years, I think there will be something really interesting features just because they now made Kinect a mandatory accessory for everyone.

I will buy xbox one as soon as I can.

The current gen Kinect will sign you in by facial recognition but its hit and miss - the lighting has to be just right and if your too close or too far or wearing baggy clothes it wont recognise you. Even when it does pick you up, the sign in can take longer than it should.

If it works practically instantly as was shown on Tuesday then I will be happy.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that Sony and MS should bundle their sensors with the systems. That would make it better for all developers. As long as the price is reasonable, then it is all a mute point. They will make up their costs elsewhere like always.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I do hope that Sony does this too with PS4, cos I dont have faith in developers seeing the extra effort for XOne alone if Sony doesn't have a dependable sensor with every system too. That said, even without it, I'm happy with the Kinect being there, but naturally I'd also hope as many games as possible take use of it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Granted, no one has to use it if they choose not to. But I also think it should be something that can be included at the consumers discretion, especially IF the inclusion of an additional peripheral affects the price or not. Just my opinion as a potential buyer.

If it's not ALWAYS included, then devs won't develop for it because they won't know if someone has it.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Walk in scream xbox on, do blah.. i mean seriously this amount of convience alone makes the Kinect wothwhile to have on the X1, you do not have to pickup your controller, press your xbox button and then navigate to whathever you want, instead it just does whatever you tell it so while you are still picking up your controller it can already show you something, instead of nothing! It's a huge boost of added convienence completely worth it.
Also about gaming, if the Kinect is a requirement then games can have ridiculous simple options like "Pause game when walking away", it's pretty simple and you can even use your controller to pause it but it's a step you might not even need if it's just pausing on it's own, there are many simple scenarios where the Kinect can be useful even without weird hand movements.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Walk in scream xbox on, do blah.. i mean seriously this amount of convience alone makes the Kinect wothwhile to have on the X1, you do not have to pickup your controller, press your xbox button and then navigate to whathever you want, instead it just does whatever you tell it so while you are still picking up your controller it can already show you something, instead of nothing! It's a huge boost of added convienence completely worth it.
Also about gaming, if the Kinect is a requirement then games can have ridiculous simple options like "Pause game when walking away", it's pretty simple and you can even use your controller to pause it but it's a step you might not even need if it's just pausing on it's own, there are many simple scenarios where the Kinect can be useful even without weird hand movements.

Convenience doesn't always defeat awkwardness, though. It might be easier to tell the Xbox to do things, but I simply wouldn't want to do so in a room of people, even by myself. I just don't like talking to inanimate objects like that. It's the same reason I've never used voice search on my smartphones, or things of that nature.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Convenience doesn't always defeat awkwardness, though. It might be easier to tell the Xbox to do things, but I simply wouldn't want to do so in a room of people, even by myself. I just don't like talking to inanimate objects like that. It's the same reason I've never used voice search on my smartphones, or things of that nature.

It's also a cultural/generational thing. The next generation of gamers 10-15 years from here might have zero issues with talking to inanimate objects like the Kinect or Google glass.

I'm pretty sure people felt awkward talking to mobile phones when they came with others around etc as well. But yes, I agree, for the same reasons I wouldnt consider products like Google glass or which is why I don't use any of the voice recognition stuff on smartphones as well. Kinect might be different if I'm home alone or with people close to me (like family, wife and kids kinda thing), I probably wouldn't feel too awkward saying Xbox on and a few other simple commands but most things I'd still just do with the controller. But if I can just say "xbox on" and have both the xbox and my TV go on with the right channel/input etc, I'm definitely gonna do that rather than messing around with power buttons and several remotes :D

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

You might be interested in an article by Ars Technica, where they interviewed the "general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms" Matt Booty. I'll provide a quote, but the article shows their perspective and is a good read (primarily, the article is about offloading processing-intensive tasks to the cloud):

"On the gaming side, Booty argued that packing a depth-sensing camera in with the system could help get controller-free, full-motion gaming out of the small niche it currently occupies. "Because it is known to always be there, because it is a fixed performance spec, because it is something you can depend on, I think developers are going to find all kinds of new things to do with it because they don’t have to worry about it being a unique accessory or something that only a small portion of the user base has," he said."

I imagine they will be HEAVILY subsidizing it this time around to clock the console in at a good price point. The Xbox One can't operate without it and must be bundled, so, if they allowed it to skyrocket the price then consumers would be more turned off by a high price than anything else. There's even market speculation that both Xbox One and PS4 will clock in at cheaper prices than their predecessors launched with. I'll believe it when I see it, but I highly doubt either will be going with the $600 disaster that Sony did with the PS3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99