No VGA or Scart cables ??

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What is wrong with HDMI? Not sure why you would spend good money on a gaming system these days if you don't have a tv or receiver that can handle it...

Am I missing something from your comment?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that decent CRT screens will easily last 2 decades. Ours is still working and if it wasn't for this sale on a nice size Samsung flat screen TV, I would still be using it and would have nothing but the scart. At least my DVR has input for both HDMI and scart, but at least around here scart is still very common. I do however understand why they didn't put it on the new xbox, but still. And even that TV I have now has a scart input (which I use) and it's a new TV, although a budget TV :D

Mase, it's most likely not about HDMI having anything wrong with it, but most likely the OP not having a TV that accepts anything but scart. Although, there's something wrong with HDMI too, the price of cables. At least around here they are ridicilously expensive, whereas I have several free Scart-cables around

Maybe those people should buy a modern television.

But it sucks to buy a new one when there's nothing wrong with the old one except input methods :D

MC_A_DOT

May 22, 2013
Visit site
LOL I burst out laughing.

VGA? Scart? really?...

I bought my HDTV for ?300 ..1080p and it looks friggin epic, also bought a gold and platinum HDMI cable for ?10 ...maximum crispness.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
this thread reminds me of all the people crying because the original Xbox only had LAN and not a dial-up modem.

And you can get a quality HDMI for about $4 online, paying anything for a premium cable is a waste of money since its a digital cable.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a difficult decision, but there's very few TVs/Monitors in the last couple of years, that havn't had DVI or HDMI.

By dropping SD/VGA/etc Microsoft can concentrate on a fully digital video system, rather than somewhere along the line doing a digitial to analogue conversion.

Lets also not forget, i bet Microsoft know the video connections in every xbox connected to Live. They'll have looked at the numbers, and made the call.

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
this thread reminds me of all the people crying because the original Xbox only had LAN and not a dial-up modem.

And you can get a quality HDMI for about $4 online, paying anything for a premium cable is a waste of money since its a digital cable.

Very good analogy. Plus there are converters for people who have older TVs I'm sure.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, kids will want this system, they get handed down the old tv to play their games on it, it happens all the time (I owned a company who built and installed custom home theater PCs and saw this a lot). A lot of people still have a SD TV, some with composite and others with component HD. Why ? If it still works, why replace it ? Most CRT based TVs from 10 years ago, still work fine and it's proven over 10 years they will lose only about 15-20% of brightness.

To all the people who worry about not being able to use this system on a older TV, I would put money down that there will be an adapter of some type to connect that old analog tv. Even if Microsoft does not make it (there are adapaters out already to convert non HDCP HDMI connections to analog tvs).

To all those people to who say just replace, did you know some of the best projectors in the world are CRT based that are ANALOG ? A computer based CRT projector ($25K+ when new) from 10 years ago will display 4K res. Your fancy $350 LCD 50" tv would not even get close to it.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
when the PS3 and Xbox launched, the number of HDTV's in homes was tiny. It's now huge, due largely to those two things.

the number of households who do not already have an HDMI capable device is small, the number who would not upgrade is even smaller. you're asking them to spend money on a product for a feature that is important to just a few of you.

its the Xbox dial-up modem all over agin

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
when the PS3 and Xbox launched, the number of HDTV's in homes was tiny. It's now huge, due largely to those two things.

the number of households who do not already have an HDMI capable device is small, the number who would not upgrade is even smaller. you're asking them to spend money on a product for a feature that is important to just a few of you.

its the Xbox dial-up modem all over agin

Point taken but, I can say honestly that it's not 100% of the case. I know for a fact there is already devices for people with older TVs (again, NON-DHCP HDMI to Analog adapters) trying to use HDMI based products. The kids tend to get the hand me down TVs and a lot are CRT or projection HD based. Just because you replaced all your older tvs does not mean everone else in the world has. Sale show they are selling HDTVs like crazy and your right about that but, the old tv gets handed to their kids or dumpped, causing this possable issue.

I did not reply to this thread to get into a debate that everyone in the world now has a flat pannel tv, I did to say, If your stuck on a old tv and can't upgrade, there IS current options and I am sure there will be ton of 3rd party options when it is released.

It does not bother me anyway about it but, I know it will effect a bunch of people and there is a option but, like you I think the better option is just to get a new TV..... Why would you want to play a 1080p or 4K game on a SD 480i TV anyway ??????

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I never said you guys don't exist, I said you guys are a small percent. They are designing a product to sell to millions of people, it doesn't make business sense to add a port for legacy devices for that small percent of fringe users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99