Say goodbye Lost/Stolen/Unreadable Game Discs

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
For everyone looking at the negatives of game drm, open your mind.

You will never have to worry about losing game discs.
You will never have to worry about stolen games. It doesn't matter if it gets stolen, and no one is going to steal a game they can't use anyway.
It doesn't matter if your disc gets damaged or scratched.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Now, think of what the negatives MIGHT be:

1. You might not be able to lend games to friends indefinitely (they might make games have a temporary unlock for lending), or at all.
2. Renting games might be a pain (could require temporary unlock codes from the rental company).
3. Used games might become more expensive (depending on the price of the unlock code).

I'll take careless folks scratching their discs in exchange for not having those 3 things above happening.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was reading that if you sell a game to someone that is still close to being a new release, the fee they will have to pay to use it will be basically the same as new.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Even if someone steals your game it is on your hard drive you dont need the dics because the games ties to your Console and your Gamertag just like Live Arcade.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
But imagine if my Xbox breaks or Kinect and i need a new ONE and in case my account gets hacked...

I lose everything. BOHH

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean that once a game is on the hard drive we will no longer need to insert the disc to start the game?
Not into buying used games but on the same token can understand how those that are may be upset about the this not everyone can afford to pay full price when you are on a budget.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine you can re-install everything, so long as you have the disc. Heck, they might even have a downloadable copy.

All games are supposed to be available for download as well as on disk (think I read this on Wired) so if you lose the disk and need to reinstall its no problem as you own the bits which you can just re download. Your game progress is also saved in the cloud so its easy to get back up and going.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean that once a game is on the hard drive we will no longer need to insert the disc to start the game?
Not into buying used games but on the same token can understand how those that are may be upset about the this not everyone can afford to pay full price when you are on a budget.

Yep, no need for the disk unless you want to take it to a friends.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
All games are supposed to be available for download as well as on disk (think I read this on Wired) so if you lose the disk and need to reinstall its no problem as you own the bits which you can just re download. Your game progress is also saved in the cloud so its easy to get back up and going.

Yeah, I just read the interview a little while ago. It was actually a really terrible interview, because the guy didn't press for any legitimate information on the important things. He basically let the guy dance around and give vague answers about things like used games, and we learned very little from the interview as a result.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just read the interview a little while ago. It was actually a really terrible interview, because the guy didn't press for any legitimate information on the important things. He basically let the guy dance around and give vague answers about things like used games, and we learned very little from the interview as a result.

You can bet that the reason for the dancing is they just don't know how its going to work yet. I think they are waiting to see what consumers are saying before making any hard and fast statements and decisions - I doubt we will hear anything about it at E3 as well. In typical Microsoft fashion all will be revealed about a month before the launch.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You can bet that the reason for the dancing is they just don't know how its going to work yet. I think they are waiting to see what consumers are saying before making any hard and fast statements and decisions - I doubt we will hear anything about it at E3 as well. In typical Microsoft fashion all will be revealed about a month before the launch.

If they want to find out our reaction, they need to give us something to react to. We're all playing the "will they-won't they?) game here. If they said "we plan to do THIS," they would get a reasonable response from people (well, an informed one...it might be overblown and ridiculous). I don't know how to react because I have nothing to react to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo