How many of you will be double fisting 2 consoles?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That's right, I said consoles, not beer lol.

Just curious how many others do this. I've always owned both the Playstation and the Xbox in my home. It's more expensive but has saved me from missing out on any titles or features so I figure the extra few hundred bucks every couple of years is chump change for that. Do any of you plan to get both the PS4 and X1? I'm going to wait this one out for a little while. The only 2 things that's making me hesitant is that MS put a lot of home entertainment features in the X1 that will be wasted on me because I already pay subscribe to that stuff through my cable subscription which takes precedence over my game consoles. The second is that both Sony and MS are being deliberately vague about exactly how they're going to handle used game purchases.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm double fisting - sure I could fit in a monty pythonesque innuendo somewhere :wink:

Personally I have never been able to justify it - I owned numerous PS1 and PS2 consoles before switching to Xbox and haven't looked back since - there haven't really been any games that the PS3 had that I have ever thought damn I wish I had one. At the end of the day I couldn't justify spending that much money on a PS3 just for one or two games. Although thinking about it now if I had stayed with Sony and got the PS3 I would definitely had to buy an xbox 360 for the exclusives. At the moment its not a consideration - I know my favourite IP's will all be xbox exclusives and unless Sony get a string (5 or 6) of exclusive, mind blowingly awesome titles I think I will just be single fisting the xbox one.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess it boils down to what games you like, there were quite a few exclusives on both sides that I really like a lot last gen, and I also found that some games that were common to both that I thought graphics rendered better on one than the other, and also ran into games where one would hold the advantage in graphic quality while the other would give slightly better FPS. It's nitpicking I know, but I'm gaming on a 60" plasma HDTV complete with 7.1 surround sound in-wall and ceiling speakers and a reclining semi-circular leather console theater sofa so everything must be 'just right' ;)

And I have to confess... it just looks cool having more toys hooked up to my home theater system :p

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I want all three.
PS4 for the JRPGs. (And raw power, but that's another story.)
Wii U for the Tactical RPGs. (Fire Emblem series is exclusive to Nintendo. It's the only good one that's still active, as far as I know.)
XBOX One because...I just want one.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess as ive got older things have changed for me and now less is best. Used to have 300 dvds on show in a glass cabinet 100 blu rays and all my games in another, PC next to my 50" tv both linked to surround sound and I used to game for 30+ hours a week. Then one day I just thought I don't actually need all this stuff - sold all my dvds and most of my blu rays, sold my pc ditched the surround sound and got a pair of turtle beaches and now I probably game for about 5 hours a week.

Ive even recently sold my 27" W8 AIO after only a few months of having it - found it far too big for my needs.

Courtney S

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, if I'm going to be double dipping, I'd much rather have the XO and the WiiU. I want the WiiU for the nintendo exclusives (Smash, Mario, Zelda, and others), and I want the XO as my entertainment center / hardcore gaming console.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't get any of them if it wasn't for me drooling at the Xbox One to complete my Microsoft family :D (Win 8, Surface RT, WP8)

However if I was to get 2 consoles, it would probably be XO and WiiU.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I will have both, depending on titles on release. I have a 360 and a ps3 now. I am pretty sure I will buy the "One" on release or pretty close to it. PS4 will depend on a game that comes out that I must have. I might even grab a WiiU at some point but, waiting for that exclusive title that I must have and the price point on it.

Microsoft can promote the he'll out of tv, tv, tv but to me, it's about the games, all about the games.

I'm also going to wait till this used game thing is ironed out so we know for sure...

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I will never own a Sony PS4. I despise that company.

same here, however I am unsure about the new Xbox too. I really don't like all the big brother spying that they are going to have with the Kinect always having to be plugged in with a mic that is always listening and can't be disabled.

Another thing with the possibility of not being able to play used games or even a friends game if they let you borrow it unless you pay a fee which may end up being full price. I have a huge backlog of 360 games if over 100 arcade and retail ones I have not even started yet and some of my games are huge grinds.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When I doube fist it is with having 2 Xboxs for boosting games. Makes it easier to bot have to rely on others to be around and it makes some of the grinds like the seriously in Gears alot faster.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
same here, however I am unsure about the new Xbox too. I really don't like all the big brother spying that they are going to have with the Kinect always having to be plugged in with a mic that is always listening and can't be disabled.

Another thing with the possibility of not being able to play used games or even a friends game if they let you borrow it unless you pay a fee which may end up being full price. I have a huge backlog of 360 games if over 100 arcade and retail ones I have not even started yet and some of my games are huge grinds.

You are supposed to be able to disable the Kinect microphone while your xbox is "off".

There will be no fee and you can lend however you want it, but you need the disc back if you want to play, if your friend breaks it i dunno what then :>

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I had to double-take at the title - 'fisting' has a very different meaning in the UK - if you tried to double-fist 2 consoles, you'd need a doctor...

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You are supposed to be able to disable the Kinect microphone while your xbox is "off".

There will be no fee and you can lend however you want it, but you need the disc back if you want to play, if your friend breaks it i dunno what then :>

where was it you found that info? Isn't the new Xbox supposed to always be on though? I had also heard that someone high up in MSFT was quoted as saying that the system has to get connected to the internet periodically otherwise it will no longer work without connecting. I have heard different timeframes either every 4 hours or at least once a day.

I am waiting until E3 for the full details to be released, however if these along with some of the rumors are true I may end up sitting this generation out which would suck because I have been gaming for well over 20 years and have owned a system every generation going back to the Atari.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think Xbox itself will be on standby with Kinect being more or less awake, how else would you be able to go "Xbox on" to Kinect and the console would turn on? Then again if Xbox itself was always on there would be no need to say that :p

I guess it's easy to tell I'm not the usual console gamer as I for one welcome many of these changes. I've had a NES and a Gamecube was my next and last console. Finally looking into getting an Xbox One when they come cos I liked what I'm seeing again. I've been mostly a PC gamer (which is why this whole used game "drama" means very little to me) and I wouldn't even consider having my PC offline ever, why would it be any different for the console?

Last edited:

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
where was it you found that info? Isn't the new Xbox supposed to always be on though? I had also heard that someone high up in MSFT was quoted as saying that the system has to get connected to the internet periodically otherwise it will no longer work without connecting. I have heard different timeframes either every 4 hours or at least once a day.

I am waiting until E3 for the full details to be released, however if these along with some of the rumors are true I may end up sitting this generation out which would suck because I have been gaming for well over 20 years and have owned a system every generation going back to the Atari.

So far there is no straight confirmation of anything, but from bits of OFFICIAL statements, not the BS rumors some sites have made up, i figured that this is how it's going to work and this also explains why you need a internet connection, let me try to explain it, it's a very sane approach as long as you look at this from a reality perspective.

Each and every single Disc will have a unique identification, when you insert the game into your console, the system will check with MS servers if the disc has yet been "used", actually it doesn't matter if it has been used as far as i can tell, instead when you insert the disc, it's yours (Console A) There could also be special-purpose codes to offline Activate Games but these could be non-public for obvious reasons.
Now when you lend the game to a friend (Console B), when he inserts it the same thing happens and this time around the Server sees it has been used somewhere else, it will do something to the first persons account so the Game will be either locked delayed or instantly, So your friend and you can't play the game together with just one disc.

To regain access on Console A, after your friend on Console B on a DIFFERENT Account (if you use Your account on console B, nothing will change) played with your disc, you need to get that disc back and insert it on your console or log back in with your account so the server can re-authenticate your game access, if you don't do this you can't play, the game should be viewable in the Dashboard but when you try to launch it it would propably bring up a error.

This system would explain the internet requirement (games install to your hdd, but you can still lend and sell according to MS), make lending and selling possible, there will be no fees as Microsoft knows that Sony has no fees either, if you have one console where you can't even sell your games ever and another where you can, many people will opt for the one where you can sell the games, even if they will NEVER sell any.

I hope you get the idea behind it, PS4 should have a similar system if not exactly this because it works similar, as long as you can play without the disc there needs to be some sort of DRM or else you could just buy the game shared with your friends (everyone pays a little), lend it around and now 20 people have the game for as little as 50 euro? PS4 will have DRM too because of this, X1 won't be the only one :)

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I primarily doing PC gaming, but the XBox One is appealing to me. I will have to see how they integrate everything with the Microsoft desktop.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have owned every major console so far, but this time around I'm skipping the Wii U and sticking with the PS4 and X1...why choose when two is better than one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs