Lojack for Xbox One?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
So with all this "connected heartbeat" talk around the Xbox one, i'm thinking that it would be awesome if MSFT had some kind of Lojack function in each console to help thwart theft and increase chances of recovery. A mandatory connection to the internet would make such a concept possible. I have Lojack installed on my HP Envy and it just seems to make sense.

Hope they make this happen. Add another bullet point to that list of "pros".

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish that functionality was in more devices or at least utilized. For instance, mobile devices.. The carriers know where and who is using the devices...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It could be an optional security setting. Like the account registered as the owner can put a password protected setting that won't allow for the console to be turned on unless it's connected to the internet. Shouldn't really even be very hard to do. That said, I suppose thefts like this from homes are less frequent than stolen tablets or phones.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
It could be an optional security setting. Like the account registered as the owner can put a password protected setting that won't allow for the console to be turned on unless it's connected to the internet. Shouldn't really even be very hard to do. That said, I suppose thefts like this from homes are less frequent than stolen tablets or phones.

Idk... I'd certainly like to see some statistics on how many consoles a year are stolen. If the Xbox one has to "call home" periodically, then they should certainly be able to mark the unit as stolen and help authorities track it down. I agree that it should be an option in the security/privacy menu as some would turn this into a big issue that's only supposed to help the end-user.

AND!!!! Since Kinect will be a mandatory accessory that comes with the console, the police could activate said camera once the unit has been reported stolen/missing to help identify it's current location, and/or thieves using it. Perfect.

Personally i think it should be a setting controlled in the OS, but a function of the console's firmware.

Someone from the Entertainment division at Microsoft better be reading this. Plenty of opportunity here.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I wish that functionality was in more devices or at least utilized. For instance, mobile devices.. The carriers know where and who is using the devices...

They know, but always try to push their paid-services in your face... Hate that. So glad all my Focus and current Lumia can be tracked from WP.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb