Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 108
Like Tree15Likes
  1. TeknoBlast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
       #1  
    I found this very interesting and first heard about it, I thought all ten "family" members has to be on the same physical box. Then I found this: Xbox One Lets You Share Your Games With Up To 10 "Family" Members

    So the way I understand this is like this.

    I own BF4. #1 of my 10 friends can access my BF4 game and so can I, so we can game together. Friend #2 wants to access my BF4 also....#2 cant since #1 already is playing. #2 friend has to wait, get his own copy of BF4, or use a shared BF4 game from his 1 of 10 friends.

    If this is true, this is a very killer feature and MS needs to be more clear on what this means.
    rdubmu likes this.
  2. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,546 Global Posts
    #2  
    Few things about this though..

    1) it's very likely that if the family has one copy of a game, only one person can play it simultaneously, as your whole 10 person family can't all play that one copy of BF4 together at the same time. I'd be pretty sure that you are included as well, so I would say it won't be you + 1 family member, but just one person total.
    2) The "family" might be dictated by fe. sharing a payment method, which might make it iffy to have your friend share your CC detail or something like this..
  3. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yeah its a pretty cool feature although I think only one person can play on that game at any one time - the way im looking at it at the moment with one of my friends that lives in the states is we both get different games and share them - hes 6 hours behind me so I can play in the evening when I get home from work for about 5 hours before he gets home and will come online to play. Playing together would be an issue but for multiplayer games like BF4 and Halo were more than likely to get a copy each for the weekend sessions
  4. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    #4  
    This article from Ars Technia does a good job in explaining some things, what I find most important is the sidebar info (which I've quoted here)...

    Microsoft defends the Xbox One’s licensing, used game policies | Ars Technica

    It's a "family" affair

    Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members." Mehdi couldn't give comprehensive details but he did clarify some things.
    For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.
    You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system, and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

    Thanked by:
    Jazmac likes this.
  5. TeknoBlast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    265 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Few things about this though..

    1) it's very likely that if the family has one copy of a game, only one person can play it simultaneously, as your whole 10 person family can't all play that one copy of BF4 together at the same time. I'd be pretty sure that you are included as well, so I would say it won't be you + 1 family member, but just one person total.
    2) The "family" might be dictated by fe. sharing a payment method, which might make it iffy to have your friend share your CC detail or something like this..
    I know, this is what I said in my post. Only one "family" member can have access to my game at a time, plus myself. So it's myself and one "family" member. If another family member wants to play the same game, then he/she has to wait for the current "family" member to stop playing.
  6. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,546 Global Posts
    #6  
    I didn't however say that. My guess was that you are also counted as the family member, but I think the more simple way of saying it is that I think that only one person will be playing a single copy simultaneously. As in, not you + 1 family member, just you OR 1 family member :P I don't think the "plus myself" has been stated anywhere. While the statements can be interpreted a bit widely, I think you are in for a disappointment.

    EDIT: @My pastor friend: Good find, thanks for sharing, looks really good cos I have a handful of friends looking at the X1, would be great to share the library.
  7. Storl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    84 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I didn't however say that. My guess was that you are also counted as the family member, but I think the more simple way of saying it is that I think that only one person will be playing a single copy simultaneously. As in, not you + 1 family member, just you OR 1 family member :P I don't think the "plus myself" has been stated anywhere. While the statements can be interpreted a bit widely, I think you are in for a disappointment.

    EDIT: @My pastor friend: Good find, thanks for sharing, looks really good cos I have a handful of friends looking at the X1, would be great to share the library.
    Yeah but think about it, very annoying at the same time, say you wanna play Watch Dogs (^^) but your friend is playing it right now through your shared library.. you end up getting a nice warning "Can't play this right now because it's being used by X" not a nice scenario really, so it really needs to be seen first to understand what the family plan really is, if it comes with such a straight restrictions i would think twice before sharing my games with anyone, i want to play my games when i want, being unable to play because someone else is playing your game right now is not nice at all.
  8. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Storl View Post
    Yeah but think about it, very annoying at the same time, say you wanna play Watch Dogs (^^) but your friend is playing it right now through your shared library.. you end up getting a nice warning "Can't play this right now because it's being used by X" not a nice scenario really, so it really needs to be seen first to understand what the family plan really is, if it comes with such a straight restrictions i would think twice before sharing my games with anyone, i want to play my games when i want, being unable to play because someone else is playing your game right now is not nice at all.
    Yeah, I wonder if you are the main person on the account if you can bump that person off. :-) I bet you can.
  9. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,546 Global Posts
    #9  
    Indeed, that will be the inconveniency with it. Me and my friends would definitely work out a "owner priority" system, so that the owner has the priority if more than one are trying to play it. Chances are that this "owner priority" might be already built in to the family-system so that the non-owners get a few minutes to wrap up their game before they get booted out.

    But I think one needs to look at the big picture of it all:

    Let's say you have those 10 friends in the family, of which everyone owns 10 games. This gives you the access to 100 games. So lets say you've paid for 600€ worth of games, but you have access to 6000€ worth of games. This is a frigging HUGE thing/gain, so I think the 1 player per game at one time is quite a reasonable requirement, but I do hope that the owner gets the priority. After all they did buy the game.
  10. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    #10  
    the good thing (if you can bump people off) your game never really 'ends' so it effectively 'saves' where you left off. Your friend leaves you get right back to where you were before. That's awesome :)
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

    tk-093 likes this.
  11. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,411 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,773 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post
    the good thing (if you can bump people off) your game never really 'ends' so it effectively 'saves' where you left off. Your friend leaves you get right back to where you were before. That's awesome :)
    Good point. I mean there is a lot of things to be "fearful" of with all these changes, but there seem to be some pretty awesome things too.
  12. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post
    the good thing (if you can bump people off) your game never really 'ends' so it effectively 'saves' where you left off. Your friend leaves you get right back to where you were before. That's awesome :)
    And the bonus being with smartglass you can check whos playing the game and when they finish.
    tk-093 likes this.
  13. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,319 Posts
    #13  
    So, you can only "loan" a game to up to 10 people around the world instantly?

    This is a travesty.
    HeyCori likes this.
  14. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    So, you can only "loan" a game to up to 10 people around the world instantly?

    This is a travesty.
    And those 10 can only loan to another 10 and so on and so on... with no limit on friends lists and a bit of cooperation with your "family" you could technically have every game available almost always available.

    That's a lot of carrying game discs around to peoples houses to loan games via PS4 the airfares alone just wouldn't be worth it.
    HeyCori likes this.
  15. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,546 Global Posts
    #15  
    I'm pretty sure that being in one family makes you unable to join any other family, though.
  16. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,319 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that being in one family makes you unable to join any other family, though.
    I agree.

    Isn't it funny that in this short thread there's already talk about how to game the system?

    And we wonder why devs have to look for other ways to monetize their content. lol
    HeyCori and sinime like this.
  17. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that being in one family makes you unable to join any other family, though.
    I hope not - that would suck.

    Edit:

    Ignore the above - just thought about it properly - makes sense that you can only be in one "family"
    Last edited by martinmc78; 06-12-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Becasue i was stupid
  18. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Storl View Post
    Yeah but think about it, very annoying at the same time, say you wanna play Watch Dogs (^^) but your friend is playing it right now through your shared library.. you end up getting a nice warning "Can't play this right now because it's being used by X" not a nice scenario really, so it really needs to be seen first to understand what the family plan really is, if it comes with such a straight restrictions i would think twice before sharing my games with anyone, i want to play my games when i want, being unable to play because someone else is playing your game right now is not nice at all.
    No. It has been said that you can always play your own game so the person playing the shared version doesn't impact you at all.
  19. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,546 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    I hope not - that would suck.
    While it "sucks" from the perspective that you can't have an infinite amount of free games, even having those 10 peoples' games is already a huge thing and it's only realistic to expect that one family to be exclusive to you.
  20. onysi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    513 Posts
    #20  
    has anyone actually lend their game?! Its battlefield 4, everyones gonna want their own copy and play with you Online. Holy ****.
  21. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,713 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    While it "sucks" from the perspective that you can't have an infinite amount of free games, even having those 10 peoples' games is already a huge thing and it's only realistic to expect that one family to be exclusive to you.
    Yeah - see my edit.
  22. MerlotC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    I hope not - that would suck.
    Ya just have to join the family with the best games :)
  23. _Emi_'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    160 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Storl View Post
    Yeah but think about it, very annoying at the same time, say you wanna play Watch Dogs (^^) but your friend is playing it right now through your shared library.. you end up getting a nice warning "Can't play this right now because it's being used by X" not a nice scenario really, so it really needs to be seen first to understand what the family plan really is, if it comes with such a straight restrictions i would think twice before sharing my games with anyone, i want to play my games when i want, being unable to play because someone else is playing your game right now is not nice at all.
    hmm well the xbox site news thing says

    "You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." well that says ALWAYS. if you couldn't play your games you are the owner whenever you want at anytime you want (you still are the owner anyway) only because someone else is playing it then I don't think it would say "always". but of course we will have to wait for xbox one to be released to see how it will really work, they haven't shown or go much on detail in this kind of stuff. but it says "always"
    Thanked by:
  24. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,319 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by _Emi_ View Post
    hmm well the xbox site news thing says

    "You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time." well that says ALWAYS. if you couldn't play your games you are the owner whenever you want at anytime you want (you still are the owner anyway) only because someone else is playing it then I don't think it would say "always". but of course we will have to wait for xbox one to be released to see how it will really work, they haven't shown or go much on detail in this kind of stuff. but it says "always"
    If that's true, that would be beyond awesome consumer-wise.

    Sounds too good to be true actually.
  25. Storl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    84 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    And those 10 can only loan to another 10 and so on and so on... with no limit on friends lists and a bit of cooperation with your "family" you could technically have every game available almost always available.

    That's a lot of carrying game discs around to peoples houses to loan games via PS4 the airfares alone just wouldn't be worth it.
    Doubtful that's how it's going to work, would be a bit to ridiculous don't you think? :) Probably more like a 10 limit overall, so your friend still shares the same limit as you, if you invite him, he also has 9 invites left, that's more likely :) Eitherway even that is freaking awesome, i don't get why people are completing ignoring this incredible feature.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasnít it Taken Off?
    By madhouse1616 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Posting Permissions