Do you care which console "wins"?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
to win over developers, yes. But right now, there is pretty much only 2 consoles to develop for. And Nintendo is in its own world. Its all about inhouse devs and Microsoft is winning in that front. To have more dedicated devs means better support for a console. If Nintendo can stay afloat this long god knows why theyre still alive, then Microsoft who runs not just xbox, but windows, windows phones, office, and surfaces, yea.. they'll be around for a long while. Microsoft isn't going to hand Sony the living in one generation.

Sony has survived simply by copying Nintendo and microsofts gameplans. It is the android OS of the console race.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Nintendo should work exclusively with Microsoft. Think about the superior party games with Kinect 2. Nintendo could probably be top dog with their great games and Microsoft's software and networking prowess.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I want all three to be successful, and as long as they are successful, it doesn't really matter to me who is MORE successful.

Sure, "winning" will be fun to talk about and it will makes for nice banter that I will gladly participate in, but in the end it doesn't matter.

I'm not worried about Sony and MS staying successful this generation. I'm a little worried about Nintendo. They make stellar games, and my son and wife still LOVE the Wii.

Mario Kart Wii is still played in my home on a somewhat regular basis.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I selected #3. I'm an Xbox fan first, but I do enjoy some exclusives that the PS system has to offer, that's why I own a PS3 as well.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm first and foremost a Xbox fan. I had the original, love the 360 and plan on getting the XBOX One. But, I voted for the 3rd option. I want them all to succeed. I own a PS3 (which I'll be selling to offset the cost of the One ;)).

Eventually I'll get a PS4, probably about 3 or 4 years into it like I did with the PS3. Just so I can play some of those Naughty Dog exclusives that are bound to come.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Can't vote here, as my answer isn't an option. I don't care, but I also can't say that I hope both sell well or that I'll get the winner. Instead, I'll say that I care about the outcome, but not the winner. More importantly, I care about the journey, though. If Microsoft doesn't convince me otherwise, I vote for Sony, but will won't get a PS4, as it doesn't offer enough games that I really want. If Microsoft backs off of the total tomfoolery, I'll want Microsoft to win, and I might even buy an Xbox One.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I cannot vote, since my choice would be, "I don't care, since I have no interest in game consoles and will not purchase any."

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I really don't care who wins, Im still buying the One (as soon as the price drops), because I want it for its superior media capabilities.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I cared back in the day that the 360 was just coming out. At the time, I thought Sony made complete jerks of themselves over the PS3 and their "I'm just better than you" attitude toward both Microsoft and Nintendo, and that soured me out of ever buying one.

Nowadays? I'm not sure I really care what Sony does anymore, but their obvious spin on recent facts doesn't sit well with me either. Backwards compatibility on their new system for the few titles I found myself missing would have made me consider it. There's a few Japanese games I might have wanted to play, but it seems the devs for those games snub Nintendo just as much as Microsoft.

All I know is, all this fact spinning is gonna bite them in the rear end eventually. It usually does.

Microsoft seems to be taking the "tell it now, tell it all, tell it yourself" approach. For that, I say they have guts, and honestly, I think it's pretty dang obvious what they're bringing to consoles, and it's no secret why PC-gamers aren't as up-in-arms about all this. I'm excited to see if they pull it off, and if it succeeds, I generally think they'll force Nintendo and Sony into some competition that'll work out for everyone.

Nintendo, like with many of us, is nostalgic for me, and still manages to somehow bring out that sense of fun that makes you feel like a little kid in everything they put out. (How else could they run things? They've got Miyamoto in charge!) It's also pretty obvious that any competition between them and Microsoft has been on the friendly side. I kinda wish that they and Microsoft would work on some sort of joint-project some day, though I imagine Nintendo's dealings with Sony has scared them out of any joint ventures. :(

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Voted option 3 - while theres no love lost between myself and Sony - I refuse to buy anything produced by them after my 3 PS ones all broke the week after the warranty expired as did my PS2 as did my Sony Vaio laptop. I have got friends that are avid Sony and PS fans and the banter and competition between the two consoles has always been interesting and amusing.

Im going to be camped out for the midnight launch to get an xbox one and will be booking a few days off work too. Cannot f'kin wait.

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This was a refreshing poll as the web is now filled with heated and humorous debate about which gaming platform is "better". It seems to me that the clear "winner" is the consumer and I voted #3 to reflect that sentiment . I'll be getting an XB1 eventually but I'm quite happy with the xb360 now so I won't be switching away from Microsoft. Yet I sincerely hope that all the platforms stay viable because they push each other to higher technical achievement; competition breeds excellence. I wish Ouya and Oculus Rift success as well and I can only imagine what gaming will be like in twenty years.

_X_

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I would like all consoles to stay in business because they have only made each other better. However with MS recent decision I'm thinking I want PS and WII to win enough to have MS come back to their senses.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I want the XBox One to win because to me it represents innovation, while the PS4 represents stagnation and pandering.

Pandering? If you want to say that Sony panders to people who don't want to go all-digital, all the time, you could easily say that Microsoft is using its check-in to pander to companies who want to mess with the used game market to benefit them. Every product and service panders, they just pander to different crowds.

Also, to say that everything Microsoft does is innovation, and all Sony does is stagnation is to completely ignore the facts. Sony is appealing to a wider range of people because of its policies and pricing. They don't need to innovate as greatly because of the fact that they have some things that Microsoft lacked this generation, and next, in some cases. Just a few examples:

1. Sony gives away free games to PSN+ subscribers, and has for some time. Microsoft is starting that on the 360 from July on, until the end of 2013. Sony will keep this going on the PS4.
2. Sony allows for self-replaced storage, something Microsoft has never offered.
3. Sony plans to use GaiKai to offer backwards-compatible gaming through that streaming service.
4. Sony has a the better overall computing power this generation, and will again next generation, from a single-device standpoint (I know that the Azure servers change that up with the Xbox One).

Not everything Microsoft does is innovation. Not everything Sony does is stagnation. Even when what you say IS true, it does not mean that the innovation or stagnation is for the better or worse, respectively. Sony might be keeping its swappable hard drive feature from one console to the next, but that's because that stagnation is GOOD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo