Memory bandwidth in Xbox One underestimated by 88 percent

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I remember seeing this. Its all about the games, I say! I think the happy feeling of owning an XONE will come around year two or three, where we will have more next-gen games than you can shake a stick at. Bring on Doom IV! :)

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I think things like this highlights that its complicated stuff.
I remember gpu's, and cpu's that have had bugs in them.

This one is a positive, but negatives can also happen, so the spec advantage that the ps4 supposed to have on paper may or may not mean anything in the real world.

People think I'm just saying that though when i say, if your only concerned about which is most powerful, you have to wait and see.
You don't plug paper into tv and play it lol.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how much difference there will be between the systems, even on first party games.
I'm sure pixel counters and digital foundry may well easily find them, but 95% of people sitting on couch playing games, i don't know....
As long as fps is solid, and graphically 'comparable', most powerful will mean very little. Half the time its about art direction.

Gonna be fun seeing them battle it out though. See just how much difference there ends up being.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Ps4.
But like most of all this, how much a problem it is (if at all), is debatable and we wont really know until games start flowing, and devs start talking.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ps4.
But like most of all this, how much a problem it is (if at all), is debatable and we wont really know until games start flowing, and devs start talking.

Even in gaming PC builds, latency is one of the last specs one looks at when deciding on which RAM to purchase. But I do question Sony's choice of GDDR5 for other reasons. If money was the only limiting factor of GDDR5 used as general purpose RAM and every other aspect is beneficial to computing bandwidth, why isn't it commercially available? There are plenty of professionals out there that can make use of and justify the cost of the best hardware available, but I don't see any manufacturers out there chomping at the bit to be the first to support/offer GDDR5.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Having tighter timings are preferable, but yea usually its not top of peoples requirements.

But i do think people are trying to find something that xbo has a better spec than ps4 on and make out it will make everything equal on paper.
We may not know the xbo's official specs, but i think what we know is probably pretty reliable and close.

Spec wise its hard to say ps4 hasn't got the advantage. I personally just don't know how it will really equate in the real world.

PC's are general computing devices, consoles are built for games, so i can see the benefit of using gddr5 in it. Sony got very lucky with being able to up the memory to 8gb though.

At the moment the vision that MS has which includes things like the OS, and the fact they they have still shown commitment to games, as an over all machine i like the look of it more than ps4 at mo.

And multi platform titles don't seem to be a problem, and 1st party hasn't shown to be worse than ps4 graphically etc.

But early days, and i still think people shouldn't base buying decision based on paper specs. Some people say ps4 more powerful so I'm getting it.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think its funny that everyone is harping about specs. As a MS fan, I will say, yes, the PS4 is going to be more powerful. Is it going to make much of a difference, no! with 3rd party games, they always code for the lowest common denominator. Meaning that for 3rd party titles in the current generation the PS3 games looked the same as the xbox 360 games even though spec wise the ps3 blew the xbox 360 out of the water in terms of specs. Actually most of the xbox 360 games looked/played better because it was easier to code for. Now the interesting part: This is why PC games often don't look as good as they should. A lot of time, companies won't scale up the graphics or they'll lock the framerate for PC games at 30fps anyways. The only time you will see a difference in the graphics will be in first party games and even that won't be evident until like 5 years down the road and even then, the PS4 exclusive games will look only slightly better. Also, I trust MS to make a much better OS for the Xbone than the ps4 as I hated the ps3 os with a passion. Nothing bothers me more than an OS that forces you to watch something download(PS3) vs downloading in the background as you play a game(xbox360).

That's why I don't understand peoples' insistence on one consoles hardware over the other. If you're so concerned with hardware, go buy a PC, case in point, my GPU that I already have is more powerful than both consoles, so if you're really going to harp on specs build/buy a PC!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa