Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 146
Like Tree5Likes
  1. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    627 Posts
       #1  
    I've read on rumors of an Xbox one with out Kinect for 399$ maybe Sumner 2014 I so don't need a Kinect never liked there games
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    I've read on rumors of an Xbox one with out Kinect for 399$ maybe Sumner 2014 I so don't need a Kinect never liked there games
    False rumor. Microsoft has already stated that all of these rumors are false and any future rumors are also false.

    Also, You don't have to play Kinect games in order to enjoy the accessory. It will be used for system functions too.
  3. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    627 Posts
       #3  
    Will it have to sit right in front of me and could I hang it up on my wall
  4. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    Will it have to sit right in front of me and could I hang it up on my wall
    From the demo video they put out you can be 6ft tall and stand 1 foot away from it and it will pick you up completely. Probably will have some sort of fixings for putting it on a wall
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    False rumor. Microsoft has already stated that all of these rumors are false and any future rumors are also false.

    Also, You don't have to play Kinect games in order to enjoy the accessory. It will be used for system functions too.
    In fairness, the system functions aren't enjoyable to everyone. I personally find them cumbersome and a waste of time, but that's just me.
  6. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    #6  
    Normal non-kinect games will use it too to some extent, at least I would expect many x1 exclusives to, so its not about having to sweat around and jump while playing :D
  7. #7  
    Yeah, but given the current reactions thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave in on this feature. Honestly, it's the #1 feature I dislike about the console's bad parts, and offering a non-Kinect version would be something to get me to buy the console sooner (maybe have enough money at/after Christmas for it, but would probably wait until mid-2014 at the earliest otherwise).
  8. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    In fairness, the system functions aren't enjoyable to everyone. I personally find them cumbersome and a waste of time, but that's just me.
    Keith - I know your not a fan of the Kinect - and I will concede that some of the Kinect 1 features can be cumbersome - I'm just curious as to how you can dismiss something you haven't even used yet? Kinect 2 is "supposed" to be leaps and bounds better than the first for system functions.

    As Coreldan mentions stuff that the Kinect will do in games like Dead Rising 3 - where it uses the mic to pick up sounds in your room that may alert zombies to your location. Leaning sideways in FPS games to give you a peek round corners and im sure game devs will come up with many more imaginative uses for picking up either you or the controller position to affect and enhance how you play your games.

    You've got to at least concede that you will have to give it at least 3 months of use before dismissing it entirely as "not for you".
  9. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    627 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Keith - I know your not a fan of the Kinect - and I will concede that some of the Kinect 1 features can be cumbersome - I'm just curious as to how you can dismiss something you haven't even used yet? Kinect 2 is "supposed" to be leaps and bounds better than the first for system functions.

    As Coreldan mentions stuff that the Kinect will do in games like Dead Rising 3 - where it uses the mic to pick up sounds in your room that may alert zombies to your location. Leaning sideways in FPS games to give you a peek round corners and im sure game devs will come up with many more imaginative uses for picking up either you or the controller position to affect and enhance how you play your games.

    You've got to at least concede that you will have to give it at least 3 months of use before dismissing it entirely as "not for you".
    and that's ok but either way if in three months I decide its not for me im still stuck with it I can't sell it nothing word going around the internet or more like a question is what to do if and when your Kinect breaks what can you do and not even Xbox has an answer to that
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    and that's ok but either way if in three months I decide its not for me im still stuck with it I can't sell it nothing word going around the internet or more like a question is what to do if and when your Kinect breaks what can you do and not even Xbox has an answer to that
    There is no decision to be made about if it's for you or not. It's part of the console. If the Kinect 2 isn't for you, then Xbox One isn't for you.

    Your Kinect has about the same chance of breaking as your actual console.
  11. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,515 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    and that's ok but either way if in three months I decide its not for me im still stuck with it I can't sell it nothing word going around the internet or more like a question is what to do if and when your Kinect breaks what can you do and not even Xbox has an answer to that
    I don't see how it's rules out that they would sell spare Kinects. The problem with this is though that everyone has one and short from it breaking, there is no need to buy another one, which mean that selling it as accessory compared to controllers is hard. But I think they would be stupid not to sell spare Kinects somehow as it is required to run the game. It does have it's own removable plug and all that, so replacing it isnt hard as long as you get one somewhere.
  12. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    627 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    There is no decision to be made about if it's for you or not. It's part of the console. If the Kinect 2 isn't for you, then Xbox One isn't for you.

    Your Kinect has about the same chance of breaking as your actual console.
    there's only two games that are using the Kinect 2 only 2 that I've researched none of the big hits bf4 cod forza use the Kinect at least from what I've researched but maybe in the future and there's no guarantee they will so when they do then I'll buy one I .i tryed the first one but none of the games I played used it so I sold it but I did give it a try .they gave us an option to turn it completely off but they still want it connected why I tryed to get an answer for that one and no luck
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Keith - I know your not a fan of the Kinect - and I will concede that some of the Kinect 1 features can be cumbersome - I'm just curious as to how you can dismiss something you haven't even used yet? Kinect 2 is "supposed" to be leaps and bounds better than the first for system functions.

    As Coreldan mentions stuff that the Kinect will do in games like Dead Rising 3 - where it uses the mic to pick up sounds in your room that may alert zombies to your location. Leaning sideways in FPS games to give you a peek round corners and im sure game devs will come up with many more imaginative uses for picking up either you or the controller position to affect and enhance how you play your games.

    You've got to at least concede that you will have to give it at least 3 months of use before dismissing it entirely as "not for you".
    It's because I simply don't like the concept. I'm just not a fan of talking to my console; it feels weird. Part of it is that I've never really used my Xbox for much more than gaming--I don't use Netflix or Hulu or Internet Explorer or anything like that on my console. I turn it on and play a game, and I don't need the system's help in ejecting a game. I get the usability of the system controls, but they're just not what I do with my console. I've got my PC connected to my TV for all of the extra, non-gaming features that people use their consoles for (watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web, etc.). I'm just not in the Kinect demographic is all.

    As for what it CAN do with games, that's cool. The Dead Rising stuff sounds really neat, but it's not one of the games I would get. I've not played the first two, and I'm not a big zombie person as it is. The FPS stuff, IDK. Call of Duty and HALO don't use a cover system, so I'm not 100% sure how those would work with that idea. The whole leaning thing has always been more of a third-person features, so that's the one thing that MIGHT be of use to me. However, it's still not something that I would consider as worth the extra $100 investment over the cost of the 360.

    I mean, I can't really give it 3 months before judging it because I don't see how it's going to magically become useful for me. I mostly play Call of Duty and HALO, and the usability of the Kinect for online FPS matches is limited, in my opinion. Everything you do on a controller is so fast-twitch that I don't think it'd be worth it to retrain my brain to do something like wave my hand to perform and action I typically do with the press of a button.

    Now, to finish off, I have to repeat something I've said before. None if this means that I wouldn't CONSIDER the Kinect. My issue has never been with the Kinect itself in this matter. Heck, it's not greatly about the inclusion of it with all consoles (thus raising the price to something I don't care for). My complaints have basically always been with the always-connected requirement of the Kinect. That bothers me, whether people want to call it ridiculous paranoia or not. I mean, add in all of this NSA stuff that's been going on (along with the allegations of cooperation against Microsoft), and it's just unsettling. I mean, I do hate that the thing is $500, and that WILL be a deciding factor as to why I won't be getting this console in the near-future, but my questioning of the usability of the Kinect for me is a fraction of my displeasure with the idea of HAVING to plug in an Internet-connected camera in my room every time I want to do something that I don't even need it for.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    there's only two games that are using the Kinect 2 only 2 that I've researched none of the big hits bf4 cod forza use the Kinect at least from what I've researched but maybe in the future and there's no guarantee they will so when they do then I'll buy one I .i tryed the first one but none of the games I played used it so I sold it but I did give it a try .they gave us an option to turn it completely off but they still want it connected why I tryed to get an answer for that one and no luck
    Forza 4 has limited Kinect functionality, and they made a Kinect-enabled game in Forza Horizon. I doubt that they pass up Kinect features in Forza 5. Battlefield is a different matter, but it's not one of the games I'd be looking at getting (especially at launch), and I don't see the FPS genre as lending itself to much Kinect usability myself. You could have a few voice commands here and there, but when you're supposed to be talking (through your headset--the Kinect will always be a crappy mic) to get things done, also giving voice commands to your own character can get in the way of team communication, I think.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    there's only two games that are using the Kinect 2 only 2 that I've researched none of the big hits bf4 cod forza use the Kinect at least from what I've researched but maybe in the future and there's no guarantee they will so when they do then I'll buy one I .i tryed the first one but none of the games I played used it so I sold it but I did give it a try .they gave us an option to turn it completely off but they still want it connected why I tryed to get an answer for that one and no luck
    Forget about the games and apps that will use it, many will. But it's more about the system.

    When you are playing a game and you want to snap an app to the screen like Skype or Internet Explorer, that is when Kinect will be very convenient. There is no way you will be able to snap an app to the screen without 4 or 5 button presses, and it will take even more time if you have a lot of apps to choose from in order to find the one you're looking for.

    With Kinect, you can snap an app to the screen with a simply voice command. I don't know about you, but I think a voice command will be much preferred over 5 button presses in this scenario.
  16. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    It's because I simply don't like the concept. I'm just not a fan of talking to my console; it feels weird. Part of it is that I've never really used my Xbox for much more than gaming--I don't use Netflix or Hulu or Internet Explorer or anything like that on my console. I turn it on and play a game, and I don't need the system's help in ejecting a game. I get the usability of the system controls, but they're just not what I do with my console. I've got my PC connected to my TV for all of the extra, non-gaming features that people use their consoles for (watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web, etc.). I'm just not in the Kinect demographic is all.

    As for what it CAN do with games, that's cool. The Dead Rising stuff sounds really neat, but it's not one of the games I would get. I've not played the first two, and I'm not a big zombie person as it is. The FPS stuff, IDK. Call of Duty and HALO don't use a cover system, so I'm not 100% sure how those would work with that idea. The whole leaning thing has always been more of a third-person features, so that's the one thing that MIGHT be of use to me. However, it's still not something that I would consider as worth the extra $100 investment over the cost of the 360.

    I mean, I can't really give it 3 months before judging it because I don't see how it's going to magically become useful for me. I mostly play Call of Duty and HALO, and the usability of the Kinect for online FPS matches is limited, in my opinion. Everything you do on a controller is so fast-twitch that I don't think it'd be worth it to retrain my brain to do something like wave my hand to perform and action I typically do with the press of a button.

    Now, to finish off, I have to repeat something I've said before. None if this means that I wouldn't CONSIDER the Kinect. My issue has never been with the Kinect itself in this matter. Heck, it's not greatly about the inclusion of it with all consoles (thus raising the price to something I don't care for). My complaints have basically always been with the always-connected requirement of the Kinect. That bothers me, whether people want to call it ridiculous paranoia or not. I mean, add in all of this NSA stuff that's been going on (along with the allegations of cooperation against Microsoft), and it's just unsettling. I mean, I do hate that the thing is $500, and that WILL be a deciding factor as to why I won't be getting this console in the near-future, but my questioning of the usability of the Kinect for me is a fraction of my displeasure with the idea of HAVING to plug in an Internet-connected camera in my room every time I want to do something that I don't even need it for.
    Given MSFT's stated plans for the new XBox you will be part of the minority. Honestly, given your description above you probably will not get much from upgrading to the new model. And yes, you are paranoid.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
  17. #17  
    I'd like to know what those new controller buttons do myself. I assume that one is a multitasking button. I'd bet that it also makes snapping fairly painless. For example, Skype. Say you got a Skype call during a game. It could pop a notification, and tell you to press X to generically answer (leave the app in the background; sound-only), B to ignore, or press the multitasking button to snap it.

    In an instance without notifications, you could have pressing that button bring up a list of applications (be they frequently-used ones or a list you make), and you could press the button, scroll, and select. It'd be about a 3-button process. Also, there's a bit of a stretch to assume that everyone LIKES the idea of snapping with a game going on. Myself, I don't care about Skype to begin with. The idea of giving up 20% of my screen to it? That just sucks.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    Given MSFT's stated plans for the new XBox you will be part of the minority. Honestly, given your description above you probably will not get much from upgrading to the new model. And yes, you are paranoid.
    Yeah, no corporation (or government) has ever lied or changed its policies after the fact. I'd rather be called paranoid than freely hand over private information. Then again, I'm probably in the minority, with the way people pass along every piece of personal information over Facebook, despite frequent reminders from Internet articles that they not only gather your personal information, but sell it for a profit as well.
  19. vertigoOne's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #19  
    If your Kinect breaks because of poor craftsmanship, Microsoft will replace it. Does anyone have any reason to believe that they wouldn't? My experience with Microsoft products is very good, even when the products are faulty they stand behind them until the issues are resolved.
  20. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    627 Posts
       #20  
    And the answer I haven't gotten from any one is if we are allowed to turn it completely of why can't we just disconnect it I really don't have a place to put it
  21. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #21  
    Not going to quote your whole response but stuck a thanks on it instead. I see where you are coming from now Keith. Thanks for explaining.
  22. vertigoOne's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxxwall View Post
    And the answer I haven't gotten from any one is if we are allowed to turn it completely of why can't we just disconnect it I really don't have a place to put it
    I think there are options here for different 'turn the Kinect off' scenarios. There will be an option to completely power down with the Xbox One due to EU regulations on electronic devices. If the Xbox is on, the Kinect will be 'on.' But I think there are also some privacy options in the system settings to disable the RGB camera and microphone when the device is on. This will allow the Kinect to continue to detect controllers and depth for the system and game features that will take advantage of gestures. I think these will be required options because of different countries having different regulations regarding privacy.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoOne View Post
    I think there are options here for different 'turn the Kinect off' scenarios. There will be an option to completely power down with the Xbox One due to EU regulations on electronic devices. If the Xbox is on, the Kinect will be 'on.' But I think there are also some privacy options in the system settings to disable the RGB camera and microphone when the device is on. This will allow the Kinect to continue to detect controllers and depth for the system and game features that will take advantage of gestures. I think these will be required options because of different countries having different regulations regarding privacy.
    I think that the ability to 100% power down while the console is off is exclusive to Germany, where they have 0% vampire energy requirements or something (basically meaning they cannot leave it in a low-power state while the console is off to listen for the "Xbox On" command).

    One thing I have been curious on, though: They say that the console needs the Kinect to POST, but not to actually run. I've got the slightest curiosity about what would happen if you unplugged the Kinect after startup. Would it crash or pop an error message that won't go away until you plug the thing back in or what?
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoOne View Post
    If your Kinect breaks because of poor craftsmanship, Microsoft will replace it. Does anyone have any reason to believe that they wouldn't? My experience with Microsoft products is very good, even when the products are faulty they stand behind them until the issues are resolved.
    Well, to the extent that the one-year warranty requires. When my disc drive stopped working, I had to pay $90 to fix it.
  25. paulxxwall's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    627 Posts
       #25  
    I feel Ms should have saved the new Kinect for those who liked it before and those whom are interested in it im not I don't really need a sweet microphone I can turn my console on with the controller im not that lazy on launch day my games will be bf4 and the new cod neither which use the new Kinect so now this thing will sit in my draw( half assed cause it NEEDS to be pluged in for what reason no one knows) for what because Ms thinks I might like it .im sure Ms knows more than half of these Kinect will just be sitting around catching dust till is implemented in every game not just "Xbox on" Xbox off" sounds like the karate kid of the future!!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SIm Unlocked 920 replaced by Nokia with Sim locked
    By sutt359 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 03:11 AM
  2. WTS: Nokia Lumia 920 (white) with Charging Plate (black)
    By photobriangray in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
  3. Xbox Music Player for Windows Phone 8... Is it just me?
    By GloriousGlory in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 12:57 AM
  4. Call & SMS blocking with Amber
    By WP8addict in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM
  5. internet not working with my lumia 710
    By kumarsaurabhraj in forum Nokia Lumia 710
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions