Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Looks like pretty much everything that Microsoft said at E3 was not true, other then the blue-ray player :P

https://xboxuncut.squarespace.com/ru...am-on-xbox-one

What do you think? will this happen?
    sinime likes this.

Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    Sounds a bit weird, seeing that likely a large amount of consoles have already been manufactured at previous specs. Something like GPU clock speed can be tweaked on a software level. Even RAM on PC could be easily switched, but I believe consoles have their RAMs soldered.

I hope it's true and apparently they have a good reason to believe it would be true, but from a manufacturing PoV it seems quite late to make the change. Hope it's true though!
    Muessig likes this.

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    My initial reaction was to call BS. because of the unboxing video

But...

In said video the only component that doesn't get mentioned is the RAM. Maybe that's a gamescom bombshell??

Does indeed add fuel to the rumour mill.

Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Yeah, that would be a nice bit of info to release at Gamescom.

IDK why I'm at a point where I am thirsty for XB1 news... good, bad, and rumors, I'll take what I can get.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    Sounds a bit weird, seeing that likely a large amount of consoles have already been manufactured at previous specs. Something like GPU clock speed can be tweaked on a software level. Even RAM on PC could be easily switched, but I believe consoles have their RAMs soldered.

I hope it's true and apparently they have a good reason to believe it would be true, but from a manufacturing PoV it seems quite late to make the change. Hope it's true though!
    Actually, I believe Major Nelson stated in the unboxing blog post that the console was 1 out of only 20 final production units so far. So if there is only 20 finished units right now, it's still a possibility.

I'm very skeptical, but if the rumor turns out to be true, I never want to hear a PS4 fanboy speak ever again. They would have no valid arguments left.

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Actually, I believe Major Nelson stated in the unboxing blog post that the console was 1 out of only 20 final production units so far. So if there is only 20 finished units right now, it's still a possibility.

I'm very skeptical, but if the rumor turns out to be true, I never want to hear a PS4 fanboy speak ever again. They would have no valid arguments left.
    The implications are quite huge - if it does end up with 12 and 4 of it gets dedicated to the OS that's a full 8gb ram + whatever cloud capabilities for devs to use in games.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    The implications are quite huge - if it does end up with 12 and 4 of it gets dedicated to the OS that's a full 8gb ram + whatever cloud capabilities for devs to use in games.
    Remember, it's not just the games.

With self publishing and an open app store, any developer can create a unique app that leverages the Kinect for the living-room. We might be seeing entire security systems in the app store. This extra power would be good for games AND apps.

Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No

But IF MS can still make last minute changes, I'd imagine team Sony could as well... Although it might be too pricey to bump up the GDDR5 ram in the PS4 and still keep the console at its current price point.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    Remember, it's not just the games.

With self publishing and an open app store, any developer can create a unique app that leverages the Kinect for the living-room. We might be seeing entire security systems in the app store. This extra power would be good for games AND apps.
    That would be interesting - Kinect picks up movement in your house - starts a Skype video call to your phone so you can see who is there and react accordingly. Would scare the crap out of a burglar suddenly hearing a voice going "I seeeee youuuuuu"
    cj-m, Three Dog and RJ Priest like this.

Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts

I havn't read that blog, so that's interesting news. I figured that production would pretty much be full on by now. I guess they might be already doing some things that arnt likely to change anymore but not doing final assembly yet.

As said, I sure hope it's true, who wouldn't want 12gb instead of 8gb? :D

Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    I sure hope it's true, who wouldn't want 12gb instead of 8gb? :D
    that punk kid that doesn't want cash back on a credit card
    I always thought 12 GB an odd amount for RAM. Who chooses 3 sticks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I always thought 12 GB an odd amount for RAM. Who chooses 3 sticks?
    In a console there aren't sticks lol.

There are 512mb chips soldered onto the board. So 12 GB means 24 chips on the board.

Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No

There are 512mb chips soldered onto the board. So 12 GB means 24 chips on the board.
    Yeah, chips not sticks...

20130514-xbox-one-teardown-015-copy.jpg

Yeah, I just meant for PCs. The term "12 GB of RAM" just sounds weird.
    Yeah, I just meant for PCs. The term "12 GB of RAM" just sounds weird.
    It's funny because I actually have 12GB in my rig LOL. I bought a 2-stick pack, and my friend built and identical rig but got 4 sticks instead. He gave me one so we both had 3 x 4GB sticks on our machines making them identical LOL
    It's funny because I actually have 12GB in my rig LOL. I bought a 2-stick pack, and my friend built and identical rig but got 4 sticks instead. He gave me one so we both had 3 x 4GB sticks on our machines making them identical LOL
    I see. I had 2 4GB sticks, but I have 4 8GB sticks now, just because my dad thinks "I want 8 GB of RAM for Christmas" means "buy 4 8GB sticks of RAM."

I had 2 2GB sticks, then i bought 2 more 4GB sticks... now i have 12GB.
    I see. I had 2 4GB sticks, but I have 4 8GB sticks now, just because my dad thinks "I want 8 GB of RAM for Christmas" means "buy 4 8GB sticks of RAM."
    In that case, tell him you want a solid state drive. Hopefully you get a 500GB one.... LOL

From Twitter: Glad you all like headset. We’re not going to 12gb, just to be clear. Feeling great about game performance – stuff is looking killer.” — Albert Penello

Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    Well I guess that's that. Someone should just close the thread.

Global Posts
    4,452 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Buger

I'm sure 8 GB will be fine. Both the One and PS4 have about the same amount of usable RAM, so I wonder if there would have even be an improvement with extra RAM in the ONE, seeing as how devs often code to the lowest denominator and port to the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Buger

I'm sure 8 GB will be fine. Both the One and PS4 have about the same amount of usable RAM, so I wonder if there would have even be an improvement with extra RAM in the ONE, seeing as how devs often code to the lowest denominator and port to the others.
    Well, 12 GB of RAM could have helped in making up for slower RAM in the One.
    In that case, tell him you want a solid state drive. Hopefully you get a 500GB one.... LOL
    Nah, I don't do anything that warrants a SSD. I don't turn the PC off, and I don't play many games ever, so it's just not worth it. In fact, I need to just save money and do a system-wide refresh. The board and CPU are almost 5 years old, and the GPU's nearing 4 itself (though it was a high-end GPU at the time of release, and I don't play anything to strain it whatsoever).
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    Now all it needs is DDR5 RAM, 12GB RAM, 24 GPU compute units, 1TB SSD and all for $399.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast