Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By drjekel_mrhyde
  • 1 Post By a5cent
  1. drjekel_mrhyde's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
       #1  
    From the end on January till March 31st(after Xmas slow down period) give out a free Nokia Lumia 520 Go phone to anyone who buy a Xbox 1 during that time. The ads should show it being used with Smart glass. Coupon only good at At&t wireless stores and retailers defacto forcing the reps to actually look and learn WP
    BIGPADDY and realwarder like this.
  2. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,258 Posts
    #2  
    Twitter AT&T/Microsoft.
  3. teckris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    724 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by drjekel_mrhyde View Post
    From the end on January till March 31st(after Xmas slow down period) give out a free Nokia Lumia 520 Go phone to anyone who buy a Xbox 1 during that time. The ads should show it being used with Smart glass. Coupon only good at At&t wireless stores and retailers defacto forcing the reps to actually look and learn WP
    So you going to buy XBOX in 2014?? ha ha.. Nice idea anyway..
  4. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #4  
    You wouldn't be able to announce it until after the holiday season so you don't hurt Christmas sales. That said, while it may help, I could see a lot of them (if not most) going straight to Craigslist or Ebay.
  5. #5  
    I don't think selling the phones would matter, though. As long as phones end up in users' hands, it is a good thing. Besides, the profitability of a $150 phone is questionable.
  6. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I don't think selling the phones would matter, though. As long as phones end up in users' hands, it is a good thing. Besides, the profitability of a $150 phone is questionable.
    But the cost of giving them away isn't!
  7. kc77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #7  
    They gave away Xbox 360s with the purchase of laptops up until last year, they'd lose less giving a phone away then giving an Xbox away. However, you'd obviously have to get Nokia on board and make it available to more than att users somehow. People wont activate an att account for go phone if they're already on another carrier.
  8. #8  
    For Nokia this would be great, as MS would be picking up the tab, but it isn't gonna happen. Why? Because the Xbox One is already heavily subsidized (sold below cost). Piling on another $100 to MS' expenses just isn't gonna fly.

    What would probably work better, while also preventing thousands of L521's showing up on Craigslist, would be to add $50 (non transferable) to the Xbox owners account, which can only be spent in the WP marketplace.

    Not everyone will cash that check, so it will cost MS much less, while still giving them a good opportunity to explain why an Xbox should be paired with a WP device.
    despertador likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I don't think selling the phones would matter, though. As long as phones end up in users' hands, it is a good thing. Besides, the profitability of a $150 phone is questionable.
    It definitely matters to Nokia. Even $30 in profits is important, particularly if you are selling millions of devices. It doesn't matter however, as MS would have to pay Nokia for those devices. It isn't Nokia's job, nor in their interests, to subsidize MS' gaming console.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-24-2013 at 12:40 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kc77 View Post
    They gave away Xbox 360s with the purchase of laptops up until last year, they'd lose less giving a phone away then giving an Xbox away.
    Wrong. The Xbox 360 is a decade old. It has become very cheap to produce. Microsoft lost hundreds of millions when it came out, due to MS loosing money on every unit sold, even without considering the hardware defects/returns.

    Really, the Xbox one is far more expensive than the 360. It should be obvious that MS won't be able to offer the same kind of bundles.
  11. #11  
    I think you misunderstood the matter. I meant that if people got the promo devices and sold them, it shouldn't matter to Nokia or Microsoft, as long as they are increasing marketshare with the promotion. For example, if someone got a free 520, sold it on eBay, then used the proceeds to get a 920 or something, that's two devices added to the Windows Phone count through the promo.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I think you misunderstood the matter. I meant that if people got the promo devices and sold them, it shouldn't matter to Nokia or Microsoft, as long as they are increasing marketshare with the promotion. For example, if someone got a free 520, sold it on eBay, then used the proceeds to get a 920 or something, that's two devices added to the Windows Phone count through the promo.
    As MS would be paying for it, there would be no direct financial impact on Nokia. True. However, I don't think it would look good if tens of thousands of L520s were being sold on Craigslist for $20, for the entire length of the promo.
  13. kc77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #13  
    The problem is, I don't think they would sell them to put the earnings toward a 920/25/28 etc. They would probably put the earning towards a new iPhone or Android because they're too stingy to even give the platform a try. You wouldn't believe how many people tell me my phone is junk because its running windows. Not that they've ever actually used it, they just tell me it sucks because the guy at the store said the phones were garbage. I think it could be a great idea but I also think current mindset would put a damper on things. If only there was a way to have demos set up by Microsoft in stores for the phones.
  14. drjekel_mrhyde's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
       #14  
    With the leaks of the new UI and Microsoft buying Nokia, my idea is not too far fetched

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM
  2. something wrong with my phone after GDR2/AMBER update
    By boney hazarika in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 07:51 AM
  3. Lock screen images stop refreshing after GDR2
    By siddharthmenon in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM
  4. Really miss my Lumia 900 :(
    By St_Deborah in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 03:40 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions