Xbox One: Can I Purchase Digital Games from 3rd-party Retailers?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
One of the things I was looking most forward to about Xbox One when Microsoft first announced it at E3 was the ability to digitally install every game from a game disc (and then never need that disc again) and then use Kinect's voice commands to hot swap. Of course, then 'hardcore' gamers went nuts and complained and Microsoft reneged: discs were back. Of course, you could still buy games digitally via the Xbox One store and utilize the hot swap feature, but now you had to download them instead of installing from disc (takes a while when it's a 40GB game). The worst part, though, is that now Microsoft seemingly has a monopoly on the sale of digital games. Or does it? Can I buy digital download codes from third-party retailers and download the full digital version of Xbox One games? I ask because I notice that many retailers (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.) have already discounted some titles, but the Xbox One store has not. So I can either pick up the disc version of Ryse for $50 at WalMart (and then also have the ability to re-sell it later) or I can buy it for $60 from the Xbox Store (and not be able to re-sell it later, although this feature would've existed previously if Microsoft would've stuck to their guns).

So, what was once a huge selling point for the Xbox One, and a big part of Microsoft's strategy--digital distribution, now disadvantages consumers in more ways than it advantages them--that is, unless I'm missing something and I can buy digital games from other vendors. As a side note, digital games should be cheaper than their physical counterparts as they incur no additional costs of manufacturing, transport, and retail sales. But, of course, Microsoft can't make their digital games cheaper or they risk alienating the Xbox One from powerful retailers like Best Buy and Gamestop.

UPDATE: I've decided to bring this problem to the attention of Microsoft via Twitter, tweeting to
@notwen (Marc Whitten, Corporate Vice President, Xbox)
@XboxP3 (Phil Spencer, Microsoft Studios VP)
@majornelson (Larry Hryb, Director of Programming for Xbox LIVE)
@Xbox

Feel free to re-tweet me here and here. The more dings their accounts get, the more likely they'll address the problem.

Last edited:

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Digitally you can only get games from the Xbox Games store.

HOWEVER,

You can buy digital download codes for games from retailers (if they do this anymore)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Digitally you can only get games from the Xbox Games store.

HOWEVER,

You can buy digital download codes for games from retailers (if they do this anymore)

I don't care that all of the downloads come from the Xbox Games store; I care about the price discrepancy. If other people are getting Ryse for $50 at Walmart right now, I don't want to pay $60 for my copy in the Xbox Store. So, if that is correct that retailers can provide digital download codes, that would mitigate the issue. However, when I searched for such things on some retailers' websites (like Best Buy), I could only find such digital download codes for DLC, not full games.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, Amazon has a nice sale on all Xbox One launch games right now. I want the sale for the digital versions!

Maybe I should just break my rule of digital only and buy some games in physical form and then just re-sell them. What a disappointment. Microsoft's dream was digital distribution but they're not making it enticing: pay more for the same game and not have the ability to re-sell it. Bogus.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think you will see the push for digital soon. both M$ and Sony want to push foot traffic into the brick and motar stores right now. I too might have to break my rule, $10 isnt much but might as well save it right? My GF wants me to get COD so im going stop into best buy and pick it up there tomorrow. I asked her what game did she want because i wanted another, she picked COD over Lego. I was leaning more towards the Lego myself. This will be my first COD purchase since black ops 1, it kinda feels wrong lol.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I gave in. A little. I bought the game I knew I would hang on to. It was Forza 5. The other games I bought disc incase I want to sell them. From now on I'm only buying digital games I know I will want to keep.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I gave in. A little. I bought the game I knew I would hang on to. It was Forza 5. The other games I bought disc incase I want to sell them. From now on I'm only buying digital games I know I will want to keep.

That may be the only viable strategy to deal with this rubbish: buy digitally the games you know you'll want to keep and just rent or buy the physical disc (and then resell) those games you are not as gung-ho about. Later on, if you like the game and want the digital version, you may be able to purchase it that way and not have to keep using the disc. It's not clear yet.

Also, I just noticed that Amazon.com sells a 'digital code' version of Call of Duty Ghosts for PS3, but not PS4 (nor Xbox 360 nor Xbox One). Furthermore, the digital download price for PS3 is $59 still even though the physical disc version for PS3 is $46. So, it seems to me that this does not bode well. We're likely never going to be able to shop around for details on digital games. If we still had the original Xbox One's DRM policies in place we would've been able to for shop around for games. Grrr...

Update (I added this to the original post):
I've decided to bring this problem to the attention of Microsoft via Twitter, tweeting to
@Xbox

Feel free to re-tweet me here and here. The more dings their accounts get, the more likely they'll address the problem.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That may be the only viable strategy to deal with this rubbish: buy digitally the games you know you'll want to keep and just rent or buy the physical disc (and then resell) those games you are not as gung-ho about. Later on, if you like the game and want the digital version, you may be able to purchase it that way and not have to keep using the disc. It's not clear yet.

Also, I just noticed that Amazon.com sells a 'digital code' version of Call of Duty Ghosts for PS3, but not PS4 (nor Xbox 360 nor Xbox One). Furthermore, the digital download price for PS3 is $59 still even though the physical disc version for PS3 is $46. So, it seems to me that this does not bode well. We're likely never going to be able to shop around for details on digital games. If we still had the original Xbox One's DRM policies in place we would've been able to for shop around for games. Grrr...

Update (I added this to the original post):
I've decided to bring this problem to the attention of Microsoft via Twitter, tweeting to
@Xbox

Well, that's the BIIIIIG issue I have with digital stuff. After my cousin and I finished Borderlands, I considered a digital purchase of the DLC. Each piece of DLC is $10 each, making the whole thing $40. That's the same $40 the DLC was in 2010. you can go get the Game of the Year edition of the game (which includes the DLC) for about $20 used at GameStop right now. Console digital distribution is currently the anti-Steam, here things just NEVER drop in price. Steam has incessant sales to tempt buyers, but Xbox LIVE wards people off by charging the same price for something 3 years after its release, and it's pitiful.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's the BIIIIIG issue I have with digital stuff. After my cousin and I finished Borderlands, I considered a digital purchase of the DLC. Each piece of DLC is $10 each, making the whole thing $40. That's the same $40 the DLC was in 2010. you can go get the Game of the Year edition of the game (which includes the DLC) for about $20 used at GameStop right now. Console digital distribution is currently the anti-Steam, here things just NEVER drop in price. Steam has incessant sales to tempt buyers, but Xbox LIVE wards people off by charging the same price for something 3 years after its release, and it's pitiful.

This is why 3rd-party retailers should be allowed to sell digital download codes alongside physical discs. If Amazon.com can sell FIFA 14 right now in disc form for $48, they should be able to sell a digital code for the same game for $48 (actually, they should sell it for less: digital games cost less money to distribute, so we're actually getting doubly screwed over; digital games should be cheaper, but they're actually more expensive--although I suppose one could make the argument that the convenience of not having to go to the store justifies a higher price, but certainly not that much). It sucks because I was all ready to buy 2 games this weekend, but now that I see them $12 cheaper apiece on Amazon in comparison to the Xbox One store, I just can't justify it, but at the same time, I don't want a disc game so I guess I'll just play the free Killer Instinct in the meantime. Not happy about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire