If I get an Xbox One, should I bother with Kinect?

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I've used a 360 before for over 80 days of gametime (mainly halo), and I never needed to use Kinect because it seemed like a gimmick. However the Kinect on Xbox One looks useful and Cortana might be coming to it one day. Obviously as a Halo fan I need to get the Xbox One at some point to play Halo 5 in glorious 1080p at 60fps on DirectX 12, but should I get it with or without Kinect?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I was one of the biggest crabs against the Kinect and man did I crab. But now I'm glad I got it and won't buy another with out it! It may not work for every game but voice commands are sweet! Buy it with the kinect !

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I will also replace my Kinect without thinking about it twice should it ever break or something. I wouldn't imagine being without it anymore. I was neutral/positive towards it, cos I liked the idea of the voice commands and other possibilities and I was positively surprised. Especially now as a family man the wide angle 1080p Skype in the living room is great, as Skype is like the only software my parents know how to use lol :D

I would recommend getting the Kinect-bundle if 1) the room you plan to put the X1 in is suitable for Kinect 2) you arn't on a budget where that 100usd makes or breaks anything.

It's no miracle machine, but most of the people who bash the Kinect never even tried it, many of those who hated the idea and gave it a shot seemed to be at least now neutral/slightly positive at the very least towards the Kinect.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's worth $100, unless you want the Kinect-based games. Nothing's shown Halo 5 as using the Kinect, nor do I think it would fit into the game unless it was forced into it. I've found my Kinect useful for navigation at times, but I don't think I've gotten $100 of value from it, and there aren't any Kincet-based games on the horizon worth getting, from what I've seen. I don't think it's that tough to get around the console with the controller, and I've admittedly grown weary of trying to talk to the Kinect anymore.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's worth $100, unless you want the Kinect-based games. Nothing's shown Halo 5 as using the Kinect, nor do I think it would fit into the game unless it was forced into it. I've found my Kinect useful for navigation at times, but I don't think I've gotten $100 of value from it, and there aren't any Kincet-based games on the horizon worth getting, from what I've seen. I don't think it's that tough to get around the console with the controller, and I've admittedly grown weary of trying to talk to the Kinect anymore.

It's a shame that you havn't apparently gotten enough accuracy out of the voice commands. They're not 100% for me either, typically failing due to other background noise if anything, but still accurate enough easily to be more convenient than using the controller for a lot of tasks. I guess acoustics of the room might have something to do with it too and Kinect probably recognizes certain registers better than others.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That last part is probably the reason. It's never loud, and it'll work just fine for my cousin as it fails me. It's almost certainly due to my voice, though that's probably the worst scenario of them all. It's not Microsoft's fault if it's loud, but if they made something that doesn't work for a chunk of customers just because of their voice, then they've failed the consumer pretty badly.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
That last part is probably the reason. It's never loud, and it'll work just fine for my cousin as it fails me. It's almost certainly due to my voice, though that's probably the worst scenario of them all. It's not Microsoft's fault if it's loud, but if they made something that doesn't work for a chunk of customers just because of their voice, then they've failed the consumer pretty badly.
I'm going to opt in the voice recognition set up or what ever that's new with this update so maybe it'll get better? And the fact that it works for party chat is actually ok. So were all mature enough know that it really doesn't work for everything but it does work good for alot so maybe we should give it a shot !...whats to lose....thats what my girl keeps telling me!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to opt in the voice recognition set up or what ever that's new with this update so maybe it'll get better? And the fact that it works for party chat is actually ok. So were all mature enough know that it really doesn't work for everything but it does work good for alot so maybe we should give it a shot !...whats to lose....thats what my girl keeps telling me!

Well, 100usd is to lose :D But like I said, if you arnt on a super tight budget, I think it's worth it. Worth it by how much probably depends how much you use it and if there are any interesting Kinect only titles for you. Just Dance is great with the lady :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm way too paranoid and unwilling to trust Microsoft to do that. It's the same reason I'll never activate Cortana.

It's not that I don't trust MS and I would activate Cortana most definitely (if we had it here anyways), but I'm still uneasy activating that opt in thing. It's probably not MS I don't trust in the chain, but I guess it's a bit grey area for me when it comes to comfortability. On Windows 8 I have most of the opt in things activated to improve, but when we're talking about my actual voice etc sent around the internet without me exactly knowing what and when, meh :p

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm way too paranoid and unwilling to trust Microsoft to do that. It's the same reason I'll never activate Cortana.
if any one should be paranoid..... It should be me! My Xbox know 3 people .....me my dog and my bong! And its a sweet one too! So yeah I don't give a s#!t about what my Kinect is seeing . Hoping it gets better actually! So don't be paranoid ...... I'm not!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll always be paranoid. I don't trust corporations with my information, and minimize what I let them know. The only information Facebook has about me is my name and birthday (at least, that's all I've ever volunteered). My unwillingness to share personal information on the Internet is why I never use Google products. Heck, it's why if Google buys Twitch, I will likely disable/abandon my account--they RUINED YouTube with their excessive ads, and they do way too much customer tracking for my liking.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Obviously, but just because my information is somewhere doesn't mean I should put it everywhere. I obviously can't stop everything about me from getting out SOMEHOW, but I'm certainly not going to be a mindless sheep who hands over all of his personal information just to watch an M-Rated game trailer.

I've already looked into closing my Twitch account now that Google's looking to buy it, because they are the epitome of a business I don't trust.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've used a 360 before for over 80 days of gametime (mainly halo), and I never needed to use Kinect because it seemed like a gimmick. However the Kinect on Xbox One looks useful and Cortana might be coming to it one day. Obviously as a Halo fan I need to get the Xbox One at some point to play Halo 5 in glorious 1080p at 60fps on DirectX 12, but should I get it with or without Kinect?

It depends on how you use it. If you want the Kinect for just games, I wouldn't bother with it too much. However, the Xbox One has a lot of features with the Kinect, from turning it on/off, signing in, to even doing a Bing search for Godzilla (awesome movie by the way). There's just a lot of Xbox features that use the Kinect and your voice, which is huge.

So, are you using it with games, or everything else?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
In June, the Smartglass app will get a universal remote feature, and the Xbox One will have voice commands for everything the universal remote feature provides. That means you can use Smartglass or voice commands to do anything you want on your TV devices. But you can only do that if you have the IR blaster in the Kinect. That is a big reason to have Kinect right there.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to say it is worth it... I use the voice commands all the time. Just wish I could convince my wife to start using the receiver all the time... as it is right now, we have the Kinect calibrated for the TV speakers (which is how we primarily listen to TV) and whenever we turn on the receiver for a movie, it doesn't recognize the voice commands as well it does with the receiver off.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Q: Now with more games being released in 1080p due to developers and MS casting aside the 10% requirement for kinect, what if you have a kinect and buy a game that is specified for 1080p? Will the kinect not work/get disabled? Does the game still run in 1080p and you still have use of the kinect and all its functions? Does the game revert to 900p or other resolution?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3